Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343914 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #2250 on: April 30, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I was just thinking about how the C's didn't sign a player to a 2-year non-guaranteed exception deal to use as salary in a Davis trade like many of us speculated might happen.

Maybe this has been brought up before, but I wonder if not signing somebody to that type of deal was to help locker room cohesiveness this year, make sure the team performs its best this year.  5 games into the playoffs the team is looking great.

But had the C's signed, let's say Greg Monroe to that 2-year, mid-level, non-guaranteed deal, every time Tatum or Brown sees him in the locker room, or on the bench, on the plane, etc.  it's just a constant reminder that they're probably going to be traded in the off season.   Everybody would know what that contract meant, that several guys are about to be shipped out come July.  "We all know why you're here Greg, and it's not to help us in the playoffs!"

Not signing a player to that deal helps keep that situation out of sight, out of mind.  Helps all the players remained focused on this year.

I'm probably reaching here, but it's just a thought.  Not signing a player to that contract is helping the team make the most of their 2019 playoff run.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2251 on: April 30, 2019, 09:53:49 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I was just thinking about how the C's didn't sign a player to a 2-year non-guaranteed exception deal to use as salary in a Davis trade like many of us speculated might happen.

Maybe this has been brought up before, but I wonder if not signing somebody to that type of deal was to help locker room cohesiveness this year, make sure the team performs its best this year.  5 games into the playoffs the team is looking great.

But had the C's signed, let's say Greg Monroe to that 2-year, mid-level, non-guaranteed deal, every time Tatum or Brown sees him in the locker room, or on the bench, on the plane, etc.  it's just a constant reminder that they're probably going to be traded in the off season.   Everybody would know what that contract meant, that several guys are about to be shipped out come July.  "We all know why you're here Greg, and it's not to help us in the playoffs!"

Not signing a player to that deal helps keep that situation out of sight, out of mind.  Helps all the players remained focused on this year.

I'm probably reaching here, but it's just a thought.  Not signing a player to that contract is helping the team make the most of their 2019 playoff run.

Definitely could be the case.  Could also be the case that NO wants Marcus Smart and we're willing to deal him with 1 of JT or JB, plus picks.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2252 on: April 30, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think they didn't sign a salary filler contract largely to avoid paying the tax on that money. Certainly doesn't hurt the locker room to not have made such an obvious setup for a future trade though.

Glad the team has been coming together, hopefully they stay together after a tough game or two.

A need for Anthony Davis...
« Reply #2253 on: May 05, 2019, 01:02:00 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I still think we have a chance in this Milwaukee series, and I hope we win, but losing this series could be a blessing in disguise. It might finally knock everyone out of the delusion of the guys we have now being enough. Jayson Tatum averaging 4.5 points a game isn't enough. This league is run on star power, and quite frankly I think none of our guys will ever be that star. AD is that star RIGHT NOW. We shouldn't hesitate trading any of our young guys for him.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Re: A need for Anthony Davis...
« Reply #2254 on: May 05, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I still think we have a chance in this Milwaukee series, and I hope we win, but losing this series could be a blessing in disguise. It might finally knock everyone out of the delusion of the guys we have now being enough. Jayson Tatum averaging 4.5 points a game isn't enough. This league is run on star power, and quite frankly I think none of our guys will ever be that star. AD is that star RIGHT NOW. We shouldn't hesitate trading any of our young guys for him.

Kyrie is supposed to be that star right now for us. Losing this series could also push him to consider walking this summer. Nothing good ever comes out of losing a playoff series.

Re: A need for Anthony Davis...
« Reply #2255 on: May 05, 2019, 03:01:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Kyrie is supposed to be that star right now for us. Losing this series could also push him to consider walking this summer. Nothing good ever comes out of losing a playoff series.

I’m thinking he stays but becoming indifferent.

« Reply #2256 on: May 10, 2019, 05:53:19 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think I've shifted my position now. Trading Tatum + for AD would be worthwhile. Having Hayward stepping into the SF role next year and Brown / 3+D guy at SG would really help the balance of this team.

Just not sure how we construct a trade. I have Tatum, Yab and Semi going out but still $10m to make up... Really don't want to trade Smart or Brown. You could trade Baynes, seems like the obvious choice, but then you still need another $5m!

Seems like doing a S&T for Rozier is the best way to go but you've got to get both him and the Pels to buy into that.

« Reply #2257 on: May 10, 2019, 06:16:24 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think I've shifted my position now. Trading Tatum + for AD would be worthwhile. Having Hayward stepping into the SF role next year and Brown / 3+D guy at SG would really help the balance of this team.

Just not sure how we construct a trade. I have Tatum, Yab and Semi going out but still $10m to make up... Really don't want to trade Smart or Brown. You could trade Baynes, seems like the obvious choice, but then you still need another $5m!

Seems like doing a S&T for Rozier is the best way to go but you've got to get both him and the Pels to buy into that.

I’m hoping for your last point with Rozier, and I believe we can use the draft picks salaries that are included in the deal if the trade becomes official a month after the draft.

« Reply #2258 on: May 10, 2019, 06:21:50 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Kawhi leanord.

Top 3 talent in the nba. Demands out. Refuses to play. Expiring deal. No gaurantee of resigning.

Trade package was demar derozan jacob poeltl and a late first round pick and dropping greens salary

Anthony davis. Top 7 nba player. Demanded out. Didnt sit out a season. Expiring contract. May not resign

No way davis nets more than leonard.

I mean he could if you prefer a young stud over DeRozan, but the offer is not gonna be the insane Jayson, Jaylen, Smart and 4 picks proposal that some are theorizing here.  I'd pull the trigger on Jayson, Smart, Yabu and 2-3 picks and I'm pretty sure DA would too.

EDIT - And in the end, David Griffin likely will as well, unless someone does something nutty.  That's a legit haul if he can grab 2 starters with the picks.

Tatum has higher value than demar in a trade. Imo.

Smart is worth alot more than all the ither assets that went in the kawhi deal.

Tatum, a filler piece from a rozier sign and trade, clipper and memphis and 2020 boston picks, williams and yabusele is a great haul for davis and far surpasses what Kawhi and George were traded for

« Reply #2259 on: May 10, 2019, 06:24:33 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I dont see any way that Hayward works on a team with Kyrie

It failed all season. Hayward needs the ball and kyrie needs the ball.

Team will be much hetter served with greagt role player surrounding kyrie and irving 2man game.

Unless Hayward becomes a great defender, a secindary playmaker only amd a primarily spot up shooter. Then maybe it might work.

But it did not work this season

« Reply #2260 on: May 10, 2019, 07:00:49 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Team will be much hetter served with greagt role player surrounding kyrie and irving 2man game.

Unless Hayward becomes a great defender, a secindary playmaker only amd a primarily spot up shooter. Then maybe it might work.

Hayward was not even close to what he was before the injury. Nothing we saw out of Hayward this year is something we can judge the guy off of... he was not healthy, not in game shape, didn’t have his timing or explosiveness and generally wasn’t close to his pre-injury self. Not at the end of the season either. Folks who think late-season Hayward was what we signed for clearly didn’t watch much western conference basketball a couple years ago. I would love to see that Gordon Hayward in a Celtics uniform.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #2261 on: May 10, 2019, 07:06:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hayward was not even close to what he was before the injury. Nothing we saw out of Hayward this year is something we can judge the guy off of... he was not healthy, not in game shape, didn’t have his timing or explosiveness and generally wasn’t close to his pre-injury self. Not at the end of the season either. Folks who think late-season Hayward was what we signed for clearly didn’t watch much western conference basketball a couple years ago. I would love to see that Gordon Hayward in a Celtics uniform.
Yeah, I agree with this. I think people are still being premature, because there's no way a trade for Hayward just to meaninglessly dump him has the upside of Hayward himself. I think after a true uninterrupted off-season he could be close to a 6MOTY candidate - 16-5-5 is what I envision if he keeps coming off the bench (with no Rozier, hurrah!).

I get that we're still overpaying in that instance, but I feel like it's still a realistic goal. Trading him for peanuts to Cleveland is stupid.

Trading him as part of an AD move makes sense to me, but I'd like to give him another shot
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2262 on: May 10, 2019, 08:23:53 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Irving wouldn't have it any other way  ;)
#JKJB

« Reply #2263 on: May 10, 2019, 08:30:09 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Irving wouldn't have it any other way  ;)

Hilarious

« Reply #2264 on: May 10, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

It did not work because Hayward took most of the season to get closer to 100%. I would like to see what he can do with a full training camp and starting out of the gate where he left off at end of this season. We saw glimpses of what a more healthy Hayward can do, we can hope that next year that will be more consistent. So, if you combine the healthier version of Hayward with Kyrie, Horford and Davis with potentially Brown as well, that is a super strong starting five but our bench would be filled with whoever would want to chase a ring as Smart and Tatum will be gone.

There is also a possibility that NO demands Brown and Tatum and then we are at a breaking point on what to do. Does Danny get rid of both pieces from the Nets Heist to get Davis to appease Kyrie? If I am NO, I start with both of those players being included. If I am NO, I also call Philly to see about Simmons and I call Lakers to see how much more they would include. A part of me also fears Davis shocks us and resigns with NO due to their new GM...if that scenario happens then what if Kyrie demands out. Sign and trade with Nets for their PG?