Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343853 times)

Re: In an AD deal, the Pels preferred centerpiece is still Tatum... right?
« Reply #2235 on: April 29, 2019, 07:04:14 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Griffin and NOH would be foolish to accept anything LESS than Tatum, Brown, Smart and picks.

C'mon now we're talking about a top 5-10 player in the NBA.

We're sipping the green Kool-Aid if we think NOH is not going to clean BOS' house.

No one in the history of the nba has been traded for such a massive package.

Much less a player who has demanded a trade, is an expiring deal and has no guarantee to resign.

Kawhi is a better player and was traded for less than half of that package

« Reply #2236 on: April 29, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I still think they'd prefer Tatum. This is not a knock on Jaylen, but I think Tatum would do extremely well and have a higher ceiling being a 1st or 2nd option on a team. Jaylen I don't think is capable of being an alpha on a team, IMHO.

They are both playing well enough that NO had no business demanding both JB and JT, at least I'd hope so.  But are we certain that if Jaylen continues to play like this, that Tatum will still be the player NO covets most? 

Considering AD is a rental, there's no way the Pelicans get BOTH JB + JT. Not a chance.
You keep saying that Davis will be just a rental but that isn't true. Davis does have only a year left on his contract but that doesn't mean its 100% sure he will go elsewhere after that year.

If a trade is completed with New Orleans, my guess is Ainge will be almost certain that he will be able to get Davis to sign on for more years. If the trade doesn't happen, IMO, it will be because Ainge didn't think he could keep Davis long term so didn't make the trade.

I'm looking at it as a risk factor. Like you said:

If the trade doesn't happen, IMO, it will be because Ainge didn't think he could keep Davis long term so didn't make the trade.

Knowing Ainge and as many have noted, he could still gamble and trade for AD using one of Brown/Tatum. But both? Highly doubt it. In that case, Ainge would have to be 100% certain AD was signing an extension here, and even then he may hesitate giving up both.
Just for clarification, Davis won't be signing an extension after the trade. My guess is he goes the Lebron/Durant route and signs a series of short deals to get him to his 10th year where he will try to cash out on a 5 year max contract at 35% of the cap.

So if you aren't comfortable with Davis being here and having no certainty he will be here the year after, get used to it because until he signs that max deal in 3 years, Davis is going to have the option to move on after each season played. You'll need to trust that Danny will get him to sign after each year.

« Reply #2237 on: April 29, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Griffin and NOH would be foolish to accept anything LESS than Tatum, Brown, Smart and picks.

We're sipping the green Kool-Aid if we think NOH is not going to clean BOS' house.

Much less a player who has demanded a trade, is an expiring deal and has no guarantee to resign.

When was the last time BOS had the opportunity to acquire a player like AD just breaching his prime?

Don't say KG....

We gave up a LOT for past his prime KG and we'll have to give up MORE for AD.

Griffin may be Danny's friend but he's no fool.

« Reply #2238 on: April 29, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I still think they'd prefer Tatum. This is not a knock on Jaylen, but I think Tatum would do extremely well and have a higher ceiling being a 1st or 2nd option on a team. Jaylen I don't think is capable of being an alpha on a team, IMHO.

They are both playing well enough that NO had no business demanding both JB and JT, at least I'd hope so.  But are we certain that if Jaylen continues to play like this, that Tatum will still be the player NO covets most? 

Considering AD is a rental, there's no way the Pelicans get BOTH JB + JT. Not a chance.
You keep saying that Davis will be just a rental but that isn't true. Davis does have only a year left on his contract but that doesn't mean its 100% sure he will go elsewhere after that year.

If a trade is completed with New Orleans, my guess is Ainge will be almost certain that he will be able to get Davis to sign on for more years. If the trade doesn't happen, IMO, it will be because Ainge didn't think he could keep Davis long term so didn't make the trade.

If the trade doesn't happen, IMO, it will be because Ainge didn't think he could keep Davis long term so didn't make the trade.

Knowing Ainge and as many have noted, he could still gamble and trade for AD using one of Brown/Tatum. But both? Highly doubt it. In that case, Ainge would have to be 100% certain AD was signing an extension here, and even then he may hesitate giving up both.
Just for clarification, Davis won't be signing an extension after the trade. My guess is he goes the Lebron/Durant route and signs a series of short deals to get him to his 10th year where he will try to cash out on a 5 year max contract at 35% of the cap.

So if you aren't comfortable with Davis being here and having no certainty he will be here the year after, get used to it because until he signs that max deal in 3 years, Davis is going to have the option to move on after each season played. You'll need to trust that Danny will get him to sign after each year.

Yeah I heard about that (the short deals after short deals route). Could Ainge and other C's players/front office members talk directly with AD during the summer, maybe to gauge his thoughts? Or is that not allowed?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2239 on: April 29, 2019, 07:17:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Yeah I heard about that (the short deals after short deals route). Could Ainge and other C's players/front office members talk directly with AD during the summer, maybe to gauge his thoughts? Or is that not allowed?
Once he is a Celtic, Danny will most likely be talking to Davis and his representation about returning on a regular basis. Before the trade, Ainge can only talk to Davis if New Orleans allows it to try to close the deal, which most likely they would.

« Reply #2240 on: April 29, 2019, 08:46:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Is he eligible for an extension before next season after he is traded?

« Reply #2241 on: April 29, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Is he eligible for an extension before next season after he is traded?
He is eligible for an extension now but signing an extension nets him less money than if he takes one year deals and gets to that 10th year. That's why Durant and Lebron did it. It gets them more money and gives them all the control until he signs that max contract.

« Reply #2242 on: April 30, 2019, 06:15:37 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

When was the last time BOS had the opportunity to acquire a player like AD just breaching his prime?

Don't say KG....

Doesnt matter.

No one can come close to that offer. Bot even close

So why would danny agree to outbid himself in the negotiations?

« Reply #2243 on: April 30, 2019, 06:37:24 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Don't say KG....

Gomez+ Jefferson+ 2009 pick is not a lot for KG! Unless you meant ratlif telfair and green..  :o

« Reply #2244 on: April 30, 2019, 06:49:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Don't say KG....

Gomez+ Jefferson+ 2009 pick is not a lot for KG! Unless you meant ratlif telfair and green..  :o

At the time, Jefferson was seen as a stud.  The two seasons after we traded him he averaged 21/11 and 23/11.  Even battling injuries he put up good numbers for almost a decade, even making an All-NBA team.

So no, it wasn’t “a lot” for KG, but it was a fair return. Similarly, Tatum isn’t a lot for Davis, if we can re-sign him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #2245 on: April 30, 2019, 08:29:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm not sure if teams actually get such a large haul for their stars anymore like the KG trade, the PG/Butler/Kawhi trades all cost less than what was thought to be a fair deal to the Pacers/Bulls/Spurs. AD/insert your superstar here may be worth that much in a vacuum but I doubt that the modern NBA trade market will lead to a bidding war where such a package will be needed to land one of the marquee superstars in the NBA, assuming if they're available like AD.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2246 on: April 30, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Don't say KG....

Keep in mind that Minnesota had more leverage since they were ready to move on from KG, but KG was happy to just stay there too. So they didn't have such urgency for a trade. New Orleans and everyone else knows that AD is leaving, so some leverage (and value) is lost.

« Reply #2247 on: April 30, 2019, 09:28:26 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
QUESTION:

(I'm posting this here for now rather than starting a new thread)

How well do we think the Celtics have to do this postseason, to not pursue AD this summer? 

It seems unlikely we'd break up the team if we won the finals... seems so at least... but what about just making the finals?  Is that enough?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2248 on: April 30, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Kawhi leanord.

Top 3 talent in the nba. Demands out. Refuses to play. Expiring deal. No gaurantee of resigning.

Trade package was demar derozan jacob poeltl and a late first round pick and dropping greens salary

Anthony davis. Top 7 nba player. Demanded out. Didnt sit out a season. Expiring contract. May not resign

No way davis nets more than leonard.

« Reply #2249 on: April 30, 2019, 09:39:44 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Kawhi leanord.

Top 3 talent in the nba. Demands out. Refuses to play. Expiring deal. No gaurantee of resigning.

Trade package was demar derozan jacob poeltl and a late first round pick and dropping greens salary

Anthony davis. Top 7 nba player. Demanded out. Didnt sit out a season. Expiring contract. May not resign

No way davis nets more than leonard.

I mean he could if you prefer a young stud over DeRozan, but the offer is not gonna be the insane Jayson, Jaylen, Smart and 4 picks proposal that some are theorizing here.  I'd pull the trigger on Jayson, Smart, Yabu and 2-3 picks and I'm pretty sure DA would too.

EDIT - And in the end, David Griffin likely will as well, unless someone does something nutty.  That's a legit haul if he can grab 2 starters with the picks.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:44:55 AM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07