Author Topic: Coin Flip Results: Celtics get 5th Slot & 17th pick UPDATED  (Read 37259 times)

Re: Coin Flip Results: Celtics get 5th Slot & 17th pick UPDATED
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
So the top 3 are in tier 1

Exum/Randle in tier 2

Then we pick #6 (most likely)...   Should have an ok player there... Vonleh, Smart or Gordon.  Still worth it. 

Congrats on the Top 8 pick, guys! :)   Should get a nice prospect there or use it in a larger trade.

I don't like to fight old battles so I'm going to paint this in a positive light.   This coin-flip today is why a lot of us were getting frustrated with needless wins. I don't think we ever could have been worse than Philly or Milwaukee, but  2 more losses could have drastically changed our future.

TP
There is no excuse for winning those last two game.....this result a sorry coin toss screwed up the draft chances.

So twenty years from now .......when the team is still locked in a eight seed tie with Hornets .....maybe a new coach and GM will finally understand how to play by the NBA s recruiting rules.

« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2014, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Everyone dissecting the odds...when on the day of the draft Lottery--they STILL:

1: Assign Number "combinations" to teams (in 2007-every Celtics combination had either #1 or #2)
2:Do a practice drawing
3:Take those balls out of the hopper
4:Bring in New Balls---from a Locked/Secured Briefcase--WHY-? What was WRONG with those original practice balls--?

very odd....just use the practice balls...and televise it--!

;)
There are logical answers to your questions.  If the lotto was fixed, it would require every team to be willingly part of the conspiracy. 

« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Everyone dissecting the odds...when on the day of the draft Lottery--they STILL:

1: Assign Number "combinations" to teams (in 2007-every Celtics combination had either #1 or #2)
2:Do a practice drawing
3:Take those balls out of the hopper
4:Bring in New Balls---from a Locked/Secured Briefcase--WHY-? What was WRONG with those original practice balls--?

very odd....just use the practice balls...and televise it--!

;)

The practice balls could be altered by the first run through the hopper - if they got dinged or scuffed even slightly it would alter their probability of coming out the second time.  Using brand new balls is the only way to ensure they start off equal.

If you re-used the practice balls you'd have people coming out of the woodwork to dream up some ludicrous conspiracy, if you can imagine that.

« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2014, 05:40:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Exum/Randle in tier 2

Then we pick #6 (most likely)...   Should have an ok player there... Vonleh, Smart or Gordon.  Still worth it. 

Congrats on the Top 8 pick, guys! :)   Should get a nice prospect there or use it in a larger trade.

I don't like to fight old battles so I'm going to paint this in a positive light.   This coin-flip today is why a lot of us were getting frustrated with needless wins. I don't think we ever could have been worse than Philly or Milwaukee, but  2 more losses could have drastically changed our future.

TP
There is no excuse for winning those last two game.....this result a sorry coin toss screwed up the draft chances.

So twenty years from now .......when the team is still locked in a eight seed tie with Hornets .....maybe a new coach and GM will finally understand how to play by the NBA s recruiting rules.

Time to let it go... there was a point where the playoffs seemed like a real possibility.  Then we traded KG and Pierce.  There was a point where the playoffs still seemed like a real possibility... then we held out Rondo longer than we needed.  There was a point where the playoffs still seemed like a real possibility...we traded Lee and Crawford to mix it up... refused to play Rondo in back-to-backs, adjusted the lineups constantly to prevent any consistency and momentum.   You can't tell the players to throw games.  The coach has some influence... and I think Stevens was a company man just as much as Doc was a company man back in 07.   We tanked this season by every definition of tanking.  We avoided making short-sighted trades that could have improved us.   We dumped contributing veterans.  We overplayed players we wanted to trade.  We tanked.  I wanted a Top 8 pick and they went out and got it.  This was why Doc Rivers wanted out... he didn't want to go through another "company man" season where he rolled over for Ainge's Bigger picture agenda. 

We always knew this was the most likely scenario.   Would have been nice to end up in the bottom 3, but I mean... we successfully tanked tied for the 4th worst record in the NBA.  That's about all you can ask for.

The consensus before the season was that we'd win 23-28 games.  We won 25.  We sucked in all the right ways.

« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Exum/Randle in tier 2

TP

I'll miss you most of all, Scarecrow.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If you told everyone on this forum before  season the Celtics would end up tied for 4th I'm sure 95% of them would gladly take that.

Context makes people greedy.

« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

TP

Really bad......with no Rondo.  ...maybe  19 -22
With Rondo back Jan.  2014 ..... Maybe   25-30 could  be possible  with some luck

25 wins.  It is. ;D

Good enough for at worst the fifth draft pick....I hope  ;D

So the win total and draft slot turned out exactly where you hoped it would in October, and it's the end of the franchise? 

« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Didn't we have the 5th pick in 07?

We all know how that turned out.

And don't we STILL have a shot at the top 3?

For those of us that wanted different results - let's just be patient and wait this out :).

Danny STILL has many options here - perhaps more that any other GM out there.

« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2014, 06:04:11 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
So can we all agree that Utah essentially won the 1st pick today? You know this is going to happen because it's the Celtics.

C's are a lock to pick outside of the top 6. The Lakers are also going to finish no lower than 2nd

« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2014, 06:20:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
So can we all agree that Utah essentially won the 1st pick today? You know this is going to happen because it's the Celtics.

C's are a lock to pick outside of the top 6. The Lakers are also going to finish no lower than 2nd

That's about the way it goes down for Boston.....Bias,  Lewis,  heartbreak after heartbreak.....

Now this ...the immortal Lottery coin toss .....the tanking year that was messed up .

This wasn't bad luck...poor mgmt of the NBA rebuilding system .   

So......no now ....no big men .....well draft two stupid guards .."that will be worthless .......and still no center .

Celtics will play with no center .....unbelievable  ::)..maybe Stevens will leave and we can lose enough games to  get a decent center in the draft sometime in the next 20 years.

« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

That's about the way it goes down for Boston.....Bias,  Lewis,  heartbreak after heartbreak.....

Now this ...the immortal Lottery coin toss .....the tanking year that was messed up .

This wasn't bad luck...poor mgmt of the NBA rebuilding system .   

So......no now ....no big men .....well draft two stupid guards .."that will be worthless .......and still no center .

Celtics will play will no center.....maybe Stevens will leave and we can lose enough yo get a decent center in the draft in the next 20 years.

Did the lottery just happen? Calm down, this isn't the end of the world. The Celtics will be in good shape wherever they draft.

« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Anytime the league decides we get hosed folks.   NBA = Not Boston Anytime!

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
No idea... but let's hope the coin flip doesn't matter and we end up in the Top 3.
in looking at recent drafts the four and five spots have been pretty luck at landing a top 3 pick so there's that

Pick 1 - 3rd best odds
Pick 2 - 1st best odds
Pick 3 - 5th best odds

Pick 1 - 6th
Pick 2 - 5th
Pick 3 - 4th

Pick 1 - 4th
Pick 2 - 7th
Pick 3 - 3rd

Pick 1 - 1st
Pick 2 - 7th
Pick 3 - 6th

Pick 1 - 6th
Pick 2 - 3rd
Pick 3 - 4th

Pick 1 - 1st
Pick 2 - 10th
Pick 3 - 2nd

Pick 1 - 5th
Pick 2 - 4th
Pick 3 - 3rd

Pick 1 - 2nd
Pick 2 - 8th
Pick 3 - 4th

Pick 1 - 11th
Pick 2 - 5th
Pick 3 - 7th

Pick 1 - 4th
Pick 2 - 1st
Pick 3 - 2nd

Pick 1 - 5th
Pick 2 - 4th
Pick 3 - 1st

Pick 1 - 2nd
Pick 2 - 3rd
Pick 3 - 1st

Pick 1 - 3rd
Pick 2 - 5th
Pick 3 - 2nd (Boston/Billups)

Pick 1 - 3rd
Pick 2 - 5th
Pick 3 - 1st

Pick 1 - 3rd
Pick 2 - 1st
Pick 3 - 13th

Pick 1 - 7th
Pick 2 - 4th
Pick 3 - 1st

Pick 1 - 3rd
Pick 2 - 8th
Pick 3 - 5th

Pick 1 - 5th
Pick 2 - 2nd
Pick 3 - 1st

Pick 1 - 1st
Pick 2 - 6th
Pick 3 - 2nd

Pick 1 - 1st
Pick 2 - 5th
Pick 3 - 2nd

Pick 1 - 6th
Pick 2 - 1st
Pick 3 - 4th

Pick 1 - 5th
Pick 2 - 2nd
Pick 3 - 3rd

Pick 1 - 7th
Pick 2 - 5th
Pick 3 - 4th

Pick 1 - 9th
Pick 2 - 1st
Pick 3 - 3rd

Pick 1 - 3rd
Pick 2 - 6th
Pick 3 - 4th

Pick 1 - 5th
Pick 2 - 6th
Pick 3 - 1st

Pick 1 - 8th
Pick 2 - 1st
Pick 3 - 6th

Pick 1 - 4th
Pick 2 - 1st
Pick 3 - 2nd

Pick 1 - 3rd
Pick 2 - 1st
Pick 3 - 8th

4 times in 29 years the 1st team has gotten the 1st overall lol.
Its still a relatively small sample but here is more.  Since 1993, when the top team was assigned a 25% chance of winning, the top team has won only twice (one would expect about five times).  The odds of the top team winning two or fewer times in 21 tries is...7.5%. 

Man, the lottery is unusually harsh on the top team.

« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Anytime the league decides we get hosed folks.   NBA = Not Boston Anytime!

The Celtics are one of the most historic teams in sports. You guys could be the Bobcats.

« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Yes, poor poor Boston.  When will we ever catch a break?