Author Topic: Cap situation for 2021-2022: Celtics in line to pay the luxury tax?  (Read 4029 times)

Re: Cap situation for 2021-2022: Celtics in line to pay the luxury tax?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 02:33:58 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I already complained about it for this season, but will again since it looks like a similar situation for 21-22. I really think the NBA dropped the ball on how teams are able to handle salary in regards to the luxury tax. If the player increases of 5%/8% are still taking place, then I think the luxury tax (not necessarily the salary cap) should have increased as well.

It doesn't really seem fair to make teams pay the tax when they were basing their payrolls on it increasing a certain amount each year. I understand that the pandemic is doing a number on revenues, but it seems some teams are going to be double penalized due to forces outside of their control.

I guess we should really appreciate that the Cs were able to get under the tax this year and restart the clock so they can avoid the repeater tax for years to come.
I think the league gave the luxury tax teams this year a break of 20-30% of their tax bill... could be the same next season. I wouldn’t feel sorry (too much) about those teams.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 02:34:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
This thread got distracted by the De'Aaron Fox talk.  I don't see us getting him.

I do think that when Tatum's max contract kicks in next season, we will be paying luxury tax.  As was stated, we are over $130M just based on currently signed players.  And when you consider the roster and the fact that we have a slew of TPE, we are far more likely to add salary that shed it.

The only way out of it is to trade Kemba to a team with cap space or expiring contracts.  That does not seem all that likely.  Maybe in the off season but then expiring contracts don't do us any good, at least for 2021-22.  So Kemba would have to play well enough to have other teams want him and we would have to find a team with cap space or a massive TPE.

I think we can be really good with a reasonably healthy Kemba with the core team we have.  We will still need a more skilled big but we can be right in the middle of things in any case, albeit while paying some luxury tax.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 02:39:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This thread got distracted by the De'Aaron Fox talk.  I don't see us getting him.

I do think that when Tatum's max contract kicks in next season, we will be paying luxury tax.  As was stated, we are over $130M just based on currently signed players.  And when you consider the roster and the fact that we have a slew of TPE, we are far more likely to add salary that shed it.

The only way out of it is to trade Kemba to a team with cap space or expiring contracts.  That does not seem all that likely.  Maybe in the off season but then expiring contracts don't do us any good, at least for 2021-22.  So Kemba would have to play well enough to have other teams want him and we would have to find a team with cap space or a massive TPE.

I think we can be really good with a reasonably healthy Kemba with the core team we have.  We will still need a more skilled big but we can be right in the middle of things in any case, albeit while paying some luxury tax.

I agree trading Kemba for TPE is the easiest way out .  Or trading him this season for expiring contracts

I suggested a massive trade with the Spurs the other day.  I think it would be good for both teams

To Spurs:  Walker, Smart, Theis, Nesmith
To Celtics: Aldridge, Mills, Lyles, Vassell

Aldridge, Mills, Lyles would all be FAs next season.   

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 02:51:27 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I agree trading Kemba for TPE is the easiest way out .  Or trading him this season for expiring contracts

I suggested a massive trade with the Spurs the other day.  I think it would be good for both teams

Spurs don’t make trades inseason. I also don’t see them giving Vassel for anything less than Brown. You may want to leave any of their ok young players out of the deal as they don’t typically trade those. Now Kemba plus Theis for Aldridge and Derozan might be something that works for both teams. I would throw in Grant to make salaries work and to incentivize popovich as he doesn’t want to deal with integrating new players during the season but might do it for the trio above.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 02:56:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Spurs don’t make trades inseason. I also don’t see them giving Vassel for anything less than Brown. You may want to leave any of their ok young players out of the deal as they don’t typically trade those. Now Kemba plus Theis for Aldridge and Derozan might be something that works for both teams. I would throw in Grant to make salaries work and to incentivize popovich as he doesn’t want to deal with integrating new players during the season but might do it for the trio above.

Spurs dont make mid season trades?

Vassell for Brown?  Spurs would have to give up a ton more

I feel like that team has too many youngsters like Walker, Vassell, Johnson, Murray etc.  They could afford to let one go for an all star (Walkers)

Spurs are not going to give up on Derozan. They are hoping he sticks around. He is playing his best basketball

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:02:34 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 03:13:46 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I feel like that team has too many youngsters like Walker, Vassell, Johnson, Murray etc.  They could afford to let one go for an all star (Walkers)

Spurs are not going to give up on Derozan. They are hoping he sticks around. He is playing his best basketball
CHeck their track record with trades or lack there of.
On vassel im pretty sure they think he’s the future of the franchise plus keldon Johnson.
On Derozan I think popovich is lukewarm on him . He will be indifferent of Derozan geting maxed out by a team and leaves but he wouldn’t just trade him for spare parts.
I think that’s how Spurs operate.

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2021, 03:33:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

CHeck their track record with trades or lack there of.
On vassel im pretty sure they think he’s the future of the franchise plus keldon Johnson.
On Derozan I think popovich is lukewarm on him . He will be indifferent of Derozan geting maxed out by a team and leaves but he wouldn’t just trade him for spare parts.
I think that’s how Spurs operate.

Good points

Danny should have pushed Suns for a trade for the 10th.  Give up 14, 30 and future pick (if it came down to it).  Jalen Smith would have been there at 14

Vassell would have been a nice Celtic

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2021, 03:34:28 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Everyone does understand that the TPE is completely useless unless we are willing to spend over the cap, right?

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Few things:

Salary cap, luxury tax and apron are all expected to increase by a minimum of 3% in the 2021-22 season, per the NBA.

The Celtics are staying below the tax line this year to stop the repeater tax expressly for going over the tax line for the foreseeable future.

The Celtics won't be sign and trading anyone into the TPE next year as it will hardcap the team and necessitate dumping lots and lots of salary.

Remember, the Celtics will possibly have a 1st rounder to add next year's roster.
…..…….............

So given all that, the likelihood of the Celtics salary dumping Kemba is virtually zero but the likelihood Ainge attempts to add to the team via the TPE is pretty good. And with an increase tax line the Celtics luxury tax will be lower than if it remained the same.

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 04:16:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Few things:

Salary cap, luxury tax and apron are all expected to increase by a minimum of 3% in the 2021-22 season, per the NBA.

The Celtics are staying below the tax line this year to stop the repeater tax expressly for going over the tax line for the foreseeable future.

The Celtics won't be sign and trading anyone into the TPE next year as it will hardcap the team and necessitate dumping lots and lots of salary.

Remember, the Celtics will possibly have a 1st rounder to add next year's roster.
…..…….............

So given all that, the likelihood of the Celtics salary dumping Kemba is virtually zero but the likelihood Ainge attempts to add to the team via the TPE is pretty good. And with an increase tax line the Celtics luxury tax will be lower than if it remained the same.

Yeah, if the Celtics had no intention of using the TPE, they wouldn’t have surrendered two second rounders for it.  We will be spending over the luxury tax next year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 04:32:10 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Few things:

…..…….............

Yeah, if the Celtics had no intention of using the TPE, they wouldn’t have surrendered two second rounders for it.  We will be spending over the luxury tax next year.
Well we can’t do a sign and trade next offseason to use the TPE. And there aren’t really that many difference makers remotely available besides a few players on Orlando and OKC ... it’s possible that we don’t use the tpe . I hope we don’t just use it because we paid 2 second round picks for it .. if there is no good deal out there just let it expire

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Few things:

…..…….............

Well we can’t do a sign and trade next offseason to use the TPE. And there aren’t really that many difference makers remotely available besides a few players on Orlando and OKC ... it’s possible that we don’t use the tpe . I hope we don’t just use it because we paid 2 second round picks for it .. if there is no good deal out there just let it expire

There are plenty of good players.  No need to do a sign and trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 05:19:39 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.html

Celts salary projected at $131,777,626 for 2021-2022 season with only 11 players signed

Due to covid effect, luxury tax threshold stays flat at $132.6 million

Ok this number might change if the virus numbers decrease, more fans can start attend games.  But unlikely even half the US/Canada population will be vaccinated by the end of this year.  2021 Olympics has been postponed.

End of the day,  is it correct to assume that one of Smart or Kemba has to go after this season?
Kemba might have to go if we use the full TPE on an impact player but I can’t think of anyone besides Fox .
Also if we are using TPE to get someone signed and traded to us ... Kemba is a goner

Is there strife in Sacrament to with Fox? I wasn’t aware what was going on there or how he’s looked.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2021, 05:22:23 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Whoops. Please ignore. Ha.

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 06:07:09 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Few things:

…..…….............

Absolutely. That's the reason why the Celtics have been cutting salary (for example: Poirier) to make sure they stayed under the tax line for enabling to spend in the luxury tax the coming seasons without repeater tax.

The Celtics should be better the next few years by development of this very young roster. If the Celtics get bounced in the first round of the playoffs then that shouldn't discourage ownership at all to spend big time, in fact it should be a reality check that Tatum and Brown need more help.