Author Topic: Harden traded to Nets  (Read 23376 times)

Re: Harden traded to Nets
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2021, 04:32:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Imagine trying to sit through just one film session with those dudes.

lol
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 04:33:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Brooklyn is either going to be epically awesome or implode and be terrible.  No middle ground.
I don't know, I can see chemistry issues with Irving pushing them toward that middle ground.  I'd honestly feel more comfortable with the Nets chances to win a championship if they told Irving to stay home.

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 04:36:58 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
You would think out of all the teams in the NBA, Brooklyn would be one of the last to do another first round pick heavy trade for a player. That KG/Pierce trade crippled that Nets team for so long and they just recently recovered. Durant, Irving and Harden all have players option for the '22/'23 season. The Nets gambled the long term future on basically a year and a half on that big three. BTW, the Brooklyn fans may only see those guys play for one season, if fans are allowed back into the arenas next year.

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 04:37:12 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
That's a lot of picks for BKN to give up... Didn't they learn the last time this happened?

Maybe what they learned is that in Brooklyn (a valued destination for some) you can take risks. After giving way too much for Pierce and Garnett, they are closer today to a championship than the Celtics.

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 04:37:56 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Come on Danny! Hop on the deal! You can’t let all these GMs having all the fun lol.
Is it even possible for us to get something out of this?

Watch Danny figure out a way to get a top 59 protected pick.

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 04:38:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1349467665631490050
Love it for the Cavs.  Like the age/contract factor for the Pacers.  Don't get why Houston included those 2 teams.  Think they'd have been better off with LeVert, Allen, and Prince long term and one less late 1st round pick (because there is almost no way the Milwaukee 22 pick isn't going to be a late pick).  Obviously Houston did the deal to get all of those picks and pick swaps years down the line. 

I get why Brooklyn did this, but it could really back fire on them and not just long term.  There is a chance they just implode and melt down and end up not very good in the current, let alone the future.
Yeah, huge fan of it for Cleveland. Allen is a great long-term big for their guard duo to throw lobs to and rely on defensively. Prince is a solid 3&D wing.

Indiana definitely did it age in mind - both Oladip & LeVert are injury-prone though, which makes it a gamble.

Super big gamble. We’ve seen plenty of mega-deals backfire.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2021, 04:38:28 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Brooklyn is either going to be epically awesome or implode and be terrible.  No middle ground.
I don't know, I can see chemistry issues with Irving pushing them toward that middle ground.  I'd honestly feel more comfortable with the Nets chances to win a championship if they told Irving to stay home.

Or trade Irving for better complimentary pieces.

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 04:39:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
That's a lot of picks for BKN to give up... Didn't they learn the last time this happened?

Maybe what they learned is that in Brooklyn (a valued destination for some) you can take risks. After giving way too much for Pierce and Garnett, they are closer today to a championship than the Celtics.
That’s not true. 1) they haven’t played a game together yet, let’s not put the cart before the horse, and 2) as it stands we’re the best team in the East

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 04:41:54 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Here's the question: Do you guys think Harden, Kyrie and KD can coexist in the same lineup? I mean, basketball is played with only 1 ball. Harden is possibly the most ball dominant player in the NBA.

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 04:43:06 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Or trade Irving for better complimentary pieces.
Exactly. 

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2021, 04:45:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Here's the question: Do you guys think Harden, Kyrie and KD can coexist in the same lineup? I mean, basketball is played with only 1 ball. Harden is possibly the most ball dominant player in the NBA.
That’s where my mind is heading too. Golden State was totally different - Curry & Klay are off-ball monsters, and Draymond was the perfect piece in-between all of them.

Kyrie doesn’t work off-ball because he’s lazy, Durant doesn’t because it’s not in his game (he’s back at OKC levels of ball-dominance this year) and Harden is one of the most ball-dominant guys, well, ever. Plus, their defence as a collective is really bad, especially without Allen and Prince

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2021, 04:45:35 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Very mixed emotions on this but some knee jerk reactions:

- BKN on offense is going to be super potent, but also super iso-oriented. You basically have three elite iso scorers. I think they'll be excellent offensively, but it will take a 2007 Celtics "ubuntu" movement for them to gel and reach their highest potential.
- BKN defense? That backcourt will be horrid, and they lost Jarret Allen.
- BKN bench? Not sure you need a bench when you can play two of those three guys at all times, but yeah, there's no bench, especially with Dinwiddie out for the year.
- For all those still hanging on to the possibility that Kyrie will "what does governance mean to you" himself off the court for the rest of the year, forget it. Now that Harden is coming, he will announce he's rejoining the team in short order, and never give an explanation to the public (and possibly not the team) for why he was missing in the first place.
- THis trend in the NBA of completly mortgaging your future to win now -- Lakers, Clippers, and now Nets -- is bananas. We'll find out in the coming years what the effects will be. I think the NBA has to step in (no pun intended) with a new Stepian rule to cap how much draft capital teams can send out.
- Still like the way the Celtics are going about things, and I'm optimistic about this team, but even I have to admit we might be witnessing the birth of the 1990s Atlanta Braves, ie a team that is really good for many, many years but keeps coming short of the title.

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2021, 04:48:00 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
That’s where my mind is heading too. Golden State was totally different - Curry & Klay are off-ball monsters, and Draymond was the perfect piece in-between all of them.

Kyrie doesn’t work off-ball because he’s lazy, Durant doesn’t because it’s not in his game (he’s back at OKC levels of ball-dominance this year) and Harden is one of the most ball-dominant guys, well, ever. Plus, their defence as a collective is really bad, especially without Allen and Prince

Someone might be unhappy. KD can play with either, but Harden and Irving is a tough fit.

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2021, 04:50:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If only we could have ended up with Jarrett Allen. I'd happily sacrifice our 2021 pick for him. Oh well.

I'm definitely happy we didn't surrender 3 firsts + 4 pick swaps + prospects + fillers for Harden.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 04:57:49 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2021, 04:51:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Durant is fine as a superstar who can play well with others.  Harden will want to do his usual thing to some degree and I'm guessing Kyrie will get jealous and pout- which with Irving could mean something as severe as taking the rest of the season off.