Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76260 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #210 on: December 09, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
BTW if you look at the box score at first it looks like Brady had a great day .... 358 yards, 3 TDs, no interceptions. 

You would think the offense was good but the defense let the team down.  Also Gostkowski.

Except the Pats were 9-16 on third downs.  They had 11 drives to score 33 points.  They were 3-6 in the Red Zone. 

They lost despite having an edge 35 min to 25 min in time of possession, and despite running 75 plays to the Dolphins' 45.

They averaged 2.6 yards per carry and barely over 5 yards per play.

The offense is grindy and painful this year.  The defense is slow.

They look like Danny Glover out there:  too old for this ... stuff.

Honestly this Pats team makes me feel sad and tired, too.  Like maybe iit'll be best for everybody for this to just be over.  I have more fun and feel less emotionally invested watching the Chiefs or the Saints or Rams play arena ball.

It's really frustrating to me that they barely use White whenever Michel and Burkhead are healthy. Burkhead's good, but he's not as good as White.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2018, 05:10:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
BTW if you look at the box score at first it looks like Brady had a great day .... 358 yards, 3 TDs, no interceptions. 

You would think the offense was good but the defense let the team down.  Also Gostkowski.

Except the Pats were 9-16 on third downs.  They had 11 drives to score 33 points.  They were 3-6 in the Red Zone. 

They lost despite having an edge 35 min to 25 min in time of possession, and despite running 75 plays to the Dolphins' 45.

They averaged 2.6 yards per carry and barely over 5 yards per play.

The offense is grindy and painful this year.  The defense is slow.

They look like Danny Glover out there:  too old for this ... stuff.

Honestly this Pats team makes me feel sad and tired, too.  Like maybe iit'll be best for everybody for this to just be over.  I have more fun and feel less emotionally invested watching the Chiefs or the Saints or Rams play arena ball.

All good points. I miss the "spice" this offense used to have in years past, being aggressive, playing for a TD no matter what, and creative play calling. Feels like nowadays the offense is just vanilla where they sometimes are just playing for FG's and/or simply playing to make it a more manageable 3rd down instead of attacking, going more up-tempo, etc.

Even in this game, Gostkowski's misses didn't help, but I thought in that final drive they needed to be more creative and go for the TD to seal the deal. Instead just 3 predictable runs up the middle. In previous years they'd try screens or some fake end-around or something like that.

The red zone in general is torture. Feels like we're seeing way more throwaways and/or short runs up the middle because the offense plays with less aggression down there and more caution.

Brady taking that sack right before the half was uncharacteristic of him. Guaranteed 3 points and they blew it. He threw it away the first two times, but not the 3rd when nothing was there? That was golden field position after the 2nd blocked punt of the game, and they completely blew it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2018, 05:15:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
On another note, the more I look and think about it... why was Gronk even out there? Did they actually expect MIA to throw a Hail Mary there? Idk if Tannehill can even throw that far (70 full yards), and I had figured at best, MIA throws a quick pass, goes out of bounds, and try a Hail Mary from 50 yards away with 1-2 seconds left, but not at that particular play. Bad coaching by Belichick there.

« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
On another note, the more I look and think about it... why was Gronk even out there? Did they actually expect MIA to throw a Hail Mary there? Idk if Tannehill can even throw that far (70 full yards), and I had figured at best, MIA throws a quick pass, goes out of bounds, and try a Hail Mary from 50 yards away with 1-2 seconds left, but not at that particular play. Bad coaching by Belichick there.

The whole day I was honestly feeling as if they were trying to lose the game, and the defense on that last play only increased that impression.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

The whole day I was honestly feeling as if they were trying to lose the game, and the defense on that last play only increased that impression.

As I said above, it felt like the play-calling on offense late in the game reflected more caution and more "try not to lose the game", as opposed to previous Pats teams where they were aggressive and played to win (stick a knife through the heart of the opponent to seal a win).

« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2018, 05:38:16 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Unbelievable. Looked like they were playing rugby out there with all the laterals. Pretty embarrassing to lose like that, that's like a desperation high school football play.  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I guess James White is playing -- didn't seem like he was active till now...

Got to stop Miami here -- gave them too much time.  Dolphins have the ball after the half too.

Obsessed with playing (and trying to get the ball to) Burkhead rather than what has been working for years. James White is a fantastic weapon.

Absolutely dumbest play I've ever seen Brady make.  Throw it away!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe they did not get 3 out of that.  Sinful!

That was awful. Did Brady forget what would happen if he got sacked there? Nobody was open, but he had every opportunity to get rid of it. What a waste of a [rare] blocked punt!

On his post game interview he said that was his fault he forgot they had no timeouts left.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #217 on: December 09, 2018, 06:03:15 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
As many have said the playcalling was terrible and honestly has been all year. I'm tired of 2 straight runs up the middle for 2 yards and then brady has to bail them out 3rd and long every time. 1st half brady was amazing except for the last play where he took the sack, but 2nd half the playcalling was sickening. Safe plays and dumb runs, forcing it to burkhead instead of using the 7th highest scoring fantasy player in the nfl james white, and the defense was just terrible.

I believe at one point in the 1st half brady was 9 for 9 with 2 TDs and we had 20 points on the board, only problem was that garbage Miami had 21. Old slow Frank gore making our defense look like high schoolers. The game winning lateral play our defense was just standing around expecting someone else to make the tackle and next thing you know we have gronk 1on1 against a speedy RB and he got toasted ****. One of the more disappointing losses of the year
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #218 on: December 09, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Crazy week got even crazier. Steelers lost to the Raiders  :o

I know Big Ben has never won in OAK his whole career, but that's still a surprising loss. Big Ben was hurt but came back when PIT was down 17-14 and led a TD drive, but then OAK went ahead again for good.

Anyways, this makes next week's NE-PIT game very interesting. Both teams coming off brutal losses (with insane finishes), and both teams probably desperate for a win (NE to get a first round bye, PIT to keep ahead of BAL in the division who are just 0.5 games behind them).

« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2018, 08:35:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As many have said the playcalling was terrible and honestly has been all year. I'm tired of 2 straight runs up the middle for 2 yards and then brady has to bail them out 3rd and long every time. 1st half brady was amazing except for the last play where he took the sack, but 2nd half the playcalling was sickening. Safe plays and dumb runs, forcing it to burkhead instead of using the 7th highest scoring fantasy player in the nfl james white, and the defense was just terrible.

I believe at one point in the 1st half brady was 9 for 9 with 2 TDs and we had 20 points on the board, only problem was that garbage Miami had 21. Old slow Frank gore making our defense look like high schoolers. The game winning lateral play our defense was just standing around expecting someone else to make the tackle and next thing you know we have gronk 1on1 against a speedy RB and he got toasted ****. One of the more disappointing losses of the year

Absolutely - why on earth do we keep running it up the middle when it isn't working? It's not like we still have Blount who always moved the pile a few yards. I get that Michel has talent, but we have Tom Brady! I would be okay with literally throwing it on every down...or at least establishing the pass and then using runs to throw off the defense - not the other way around.

And I agree with James White as I mentioned him earlier. We would be better off with Burkhead injured again.

Anyway, all hope is not lost. KC isn't unbeatable and we have been great at home. If we can maintain that 2 seed, then anything can happen. Just not as confident as previous years...obviously.

« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Absolutely - why on earth do we keep running it up the middle when it isn't working? It's not like we still have Blount who always moved the pile a few yards. I get that Michel has talent, but we have Tom Brady! I would be okay with literally throwing it on every down...or at least establishing the pass and then using runs to throw off the defense - not the other way around.

And I agree with James White as I mentioned him earlier. We would be better off with Burkhead injured again.

Anyway, all hope is not lost. KC isn't unbeatable and we have been great at home. If we can maintain that 2 seed, then anything can happen. Just not as confident as previous years...obviously.

I don't understand why they don't try running on the edges or tossing to the outside more, which actually seemed to be working. Even in the final offensive drive, a TD would seal the deal for good and they just ran up the middle right into their defense 3 straight times. No bit of creativity to try and go for the kill, which NE has famously done in the past (just not this season it seems)...

« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
That pass interference actually helped the Dolphins at the end. If not, Gordon catches that and TD game over.

But, it is what it is. This defense has been an absolute garbage.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #222 on: December 09, 2018, 10:37:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wow...this team is 9-4 and should be favored and mostly likely will win out and go 12-4 for a second seed. Not one team in the East is clearly better than the Pat's. If the Pat's win out that means they would have beat each of the other division winners while going 12-4.

They will have won 10 straight AFC East titless.
They will have gotten a bye in the playoffs 9 straight years
They will have made the playoffs 10 straight years
They will have won 10 or more games 16 straight years
They will have won 12 or more games for 9 straight years
They will have had over 250 wins since 2000.
8 Superbowls since 2000
5 Superbowl wins since 2000
33 playoff wins since 2000
The greatest QB ever for the last 17 years.

And yet so many are whining and complaining and giving up on them and acting offended somehow by this team.

Dang, guys!!! Come ON!!!!!!!!? Go Pat's. Crap loss but if we win the next 6 straight games we are Superbowl Champs again. Let's Go Pat's!!!!

« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2018, 11:14:05 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
 I've been skeptical the Patriots had enough defense to get to the SB this year. The D played well the last few games before the debacle in Miami today. An embarrassment. They still don't have a full time defensive coach, and that may be hurting them. And somebody screwed up the time management today at the end of the first half.

I think the Patriots are overrated in the power rankings. They play in the weakest division, and that masks their weaknesses. In recent years, they've gotten to the SB by getting home field in the playoffs, and they are very tough to beat at home by any team. This year, I doubt they can beat any playoff team on the road.

« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2018, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Crazy week got even crazier. Steelers lost to the Raiders  :o

I know Big Ben has never won in OAK his whole career, but that's still a surprising loss. Big Ben was hurt but came back when PIT was down 17-14 and led a TD drive, but then OAK went ahead again for good.

Anyways, this makes next week's NE-PIT game very interesting. Both teams coming off brutal losses (with insane finishes), and both teams probably desperate for a win (NE to get a first round bye, PIT to keep ahead of BAL in the division who are just 0.5 games behind them).

Looked like the coach made a mistake not bring Ben back when they were up 14-10. Didn't the other QB create a TO which led to an Oak TD?  I watched it, but I forget now how that went. I thought Ben should have come back while they were leading.