Author Topic: Espn: Brady entering free agency with intent to leave New England  (Read 7844 times)

Re: Espn: Brady entering free agency with intent to leave New England
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47
Super ew on Winston. He's a headcase that I think might be too stupid, football IQ wise, to be a good quarterback. If the QB whisperer Bruce Arians can't fix Winston, he's done. Buying low on Mariota with a cheap 1 year deal, on the other hand, is intriguing to me. I see the Pats going down this path if they really like what they see from Jarrett Stidham, and is simply looking for a stop gap.
Yeah, Jameis seems like a complete loose cannon in almost every regard. A 33/30 year is not something I think I could deal with, lol.

I'd be okay with Mariota I guess. If Carr becomes available I'd like him too

Personally, I'd be on the "Lose for Lawrence" train if Brady leaves. Grab a crap placeholder QB. Trade all our big assets for draft picks. Gilmore should be able to fetch at least a 1 and a 2, and you could probably get a 2 or 3 for Hightower. Guy might generate a decent return too. Trade Edelmen to wherever Brady goes. Suck for a season. Draft Lawrence in '21.

And then off to the races!
That might be the way to go, especially because I can't imagine any free agents wanting to come here if Brady leaves. It would definitely hurt though - so many of our old guys are fun, like the McCourty's, Hightower, Slater, & Edelman have all been great servants.
It helps that Lawrence is a super legit talent. Great arm, improving as a runner, great physical profile, high IQ. Has it all really. Maybe try and ship Sanu too.

Will be really interesting to see how the Pats draft.

Unfortunately with Sanu, it looks like he's going to be having major ankle surgery soon, which puts his prospects for this season in serious jeopardy.

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2020, 11:55:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Surprised this hasn't been brought up but multiple reports are saying the reason the Pat's and Brady's team haven't talked yet is because they don't know what the new CBA is going to look like, if there is one. If salary caps are expanded or player contracts changed in any way, it would affect negotiations and the structure of the contract.

Sure, this could just be Don Yee and the Pat's using an excuse as to why they haven't spoken, but it does make a some of sense.

https://nesn.com/2020/02/tom-brady-contract-negotiations-held-up-by-uncertainty-over-nfl-cba/

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2020, 07:58:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Super ew on Winston. He's a headcase that I think might be too stupid, football IQ wise, to be a good quarterback. If the QB whisperer Bruce Arians can't fix Winston, he's done. Buying low on Mariota with a cheap 1 year deal, on the other hand, is intriguing to me. I see the Pats going down this path if they really like what they see from Jarrett Stidham, and is simply looking for a stop gap.
Yeah, Jameis seems like a complete loose cannon in almost every regard. A 33/30 year is not something I think I could deal with, lol.

Personally, I'd be on the "Lose for Lawrence" train if Brady leaves. Grab a crap placeholder QB. Trade all our big assets for draft picks. Gilmore should be able to fetch at least a 1 and a 2, and you could probably get a 2 or 3 for Hightower. Guy might generate a decent return too. Trade Edelmen to wherever Brady goes. Suck for a season. Draft Lawrence in '21.

That might be the way to go, especially because I can't imagine any free agents wanting to come here if Brady leaves. It would definitely hurt though - so many of our old guys are fun, like the McCourty's, Hightower, Slater, & Edelman have all been great servants.
It helps that Lawrence is a super legit talent. Great arm, improving as a runner, great physical profile, high IQ. Has it all really. Maybe try and ship Sanu too.

Unfortunately with Sanu, it looks like he's going to be having major ankle surgery soon, which puts his prospects for this season in serious jeopardy.
Ugh, didn’t know this. It’s hard to keep up in Australia! Really wish we didn’t give up that 2nd for him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2020, 08:31:50 PM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

Ugh, didn’t know this. It’s hard to keep up in Australia! Really wish we didn’t give up that 2nd for him

Eh. It seemed like a good idea at the time.