Author Topic: Patriots 2021 Offseason Thread  (Read 14732 times)

Re: Patriots 2021 Offseason Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Cam was horrible last year, but he was essentially playing with a group of receivers across the board that were worse than the NCAA's University of Alabama had playing last year.

With weapons, like actual talented weapons, I can see Cam giving the team a typical Cam season of 60% completion, 20 TDs, 12 INTs, run for a bunch of yards and some TDs.

If Cam can do that, the Pats are in the playoffs.

But I am not counting on that. Kinda hoping whoever they take in the draft in the first round is quarterbacking the team before season's end. Oh, I mean in a good way not like Cam getting hurt.
That's actually crazy, because it's definitely true.

I still hope we trade up for Lance or Fields, unless we can somehow snag Wilson (unsure about Watson given the whole lawsuit thing), but Cam will be better
If we move up I wonder if Gilmore is going out in that trade?
It's certainly interesting stuff. Gilmore could be on the way out, but given the money Keanu Neal got I think the Pats could try and keep Gilmore for cheap by saying "hey, the market for premier DBs isn't too strong, you may as well stay."

That said, a lot depends on how the JC Jackson situation plays out. I think he's a great #2 corner, but would struggle by himself. Losing Gilmore would free up even more cap space, but I'm not sure if we have any targets.

If a Gilmore + 1st + a mid pick got us into that 7-10 range I'd have to think long and hard about it.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2021, 05:40:03 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Soooo.....is now the time to call Houston and try to grab Deshaun Watson on the cheap.

I haven't at all looked into the accusations against Watson, but the simple fact that he has so many legal issues pending is enough to make me want to stay away from him.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wrong thread

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2021, 08:16:38 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Cam was horrible last year, but he was essentially playing with a group of receivers across the board that were worse than the NCAA's University of Alabama had playing last year.

With weapons, like actual talented weapons, I can see Cam giving the team a typical Cam season of 60% completion, 20 TDs, 12 INTs, run for a bunch of yards and some TDs.

But I am not counting on that. Kinda hoping whoever they take in the draft in the first round is quarterbacking the team before season's end. Oh, I mean in a good way not like Cam getting hurt.

I still hope we trade up for Lance or Fields, unless we can somehow snag Wilson (unsure about Watson given the whole lawsuit thing), but Cam will be better
It's certainly interesting stuff. Gilmore could be on the way out, but given the money Keanu Neal got I think the Pats could try and keep Gilmore for cheap by saying "hey, the market for premier DBs isn't too strong, you may as well stay."

That said, a lot depends on how the JC Jackson situation plays out. I think he's a great #2 corner, but would struggle by himself. Losing Gilmore would free up even more cap space, but I'm not sure if we have any targets.

If a Gilmore + 1st + a mid pick got us into that 7-10 range I'd have to think long and hard about it.

As long as there's still a great QB prospect on the board when that (7-10) pick comes up, I think you'd have to take it. Then just take a CB prospect in the second round (don't even bother signing him, just jump straight to the part where we cut him), and sign some unknown UDFA that turns out to be a starting level stud. Easy peezy.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2021, 08:34:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

As long as there's still a great QB prospect on the board when that (7-10) pick comes up, I think you'd have to take it. Then just take a CB prospect in the second round (don't even bother signing him, just jump straight to the part where we cut him), and sign some unknown UDFA that turns out to be a starting level stud. Easy peezy.
Ha, sounds beautiful to me! One of the randoms I want is Simi Fehoko. Tank of a receiver at 6'4" and 230lbs, runs a 4.37 40 and has a great name! Reminds me of Chase Claypool.

He'd probably end up as our QB

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2021, 10:45:50 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Pats draft in just over a week.  I have two scenarios, and neither have them picking at 15.

1:  Trade Up:  Everyone thinks this is the way they are going, trade up to get a QB.  I'm not buying it, but I could see a deal that sends 2021 1st, 2021 3rd, and 2022 1st to get up and get a QB.  This package probably gets them to the 7 or 8 spot but one of the QB's, and the one they want, needs to fall.

2:  Trade Down:  This is where I see them going, a deal like Jax 2021 25th pick and a 2021 third to to Pats for 15.  At 25, I see them going Defense, not CB, but LB or DL.

I love Justin Fields, but I don't see the Pats jumping that high to get him.  I think the next ones they target are Mond and Mills.  Mills was a five star recruit, but has had ACL injuries, so I'm leery, but he could be the guy in the second or third.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2021, 05:58:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Pats draft in just over a week.  I have two scenarios, and neither have them picking at 15.

1:  Trade Up:  Everyone thinks this is the way they are going, trade up to get a QB.  I'm not buying it, but I could see a deal that sends 2021 1st, 2021 3rd, and 2022 1st to get up and get a QB.  This package probably gets them to the 7 or 8 spot but one of the QB's, and the one they want, needs to fall.

2:  Trade Down:  This is where I see them going, a deal like Jax 2021 25th pick and a 2021 third to to Pats for 15.  At 25, I see them going Defense, not CB, but LB or DL.

I love Justin Fields, but I don't see the Pats jumping that high to get him.  I think the next ones they target are Mond and Mills.  Mills was a five star recruit, but has had ACL injuries, so I'm leery, but he could be the guy in the second or third.
I too would be surprised to see them pick at 15. I think if the price is right to move up Bill will jump on it, but more likely (IMO) is a trade down. The talent disparity between 15-30 is really not that considerable

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2021, 10:43:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Patriots making noise again, signing S Adrian Colbert.

And now hearing hype about Julio Jones coming to Foxboro. Imagine that, the Pats could reclaim the AFC East again if he comes here.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2021, 11:00:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

And now hearing hype about Julio Jones coming to Foxboro. Imagine that, the Pats could reclaim the AFC East again if he comes here.

Even if they add Jones, I don’t think they beat out Buffalo. Maybe Miami. Maybe... Pats still have a starting QB who can’t throw.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2021, 11:35:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I think Mac Jones could be darn good if Belichick is capable of putting his ego aside to give him a chance.  Cam was a fine QB in his time, but he's beaten up, washed up, and a poor fit for the Patriots. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC