Author Topic: Kyrie > Rondo  (Read 54513 times)

Re: Kyrie > Rondo
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 11:52:58 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Kyrie is WAYYYYYY overrated

He's a more efficient Montae Ellis.

Well, if Monta Ellis was more efficient, he'd be a superstar.

So you admit you think scoring is the only part of the game that matters?

I see...

No? I'm saying that Monta Ellis would be a superstar if he was a more efficient player.

If you take Monta and make him better at scoring/handling the ball/passing, he'd be a Westbrook/Rose kind of player. He's also averaging 5.4 apg this season, you know.

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Kyrie is amazing. I'd take him over Rondo any day of the week, and Rondo is a fantastic player.

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Good game by Irving tonight.  He got the better of Rondo and led his team to the win.

Congrats, Kyrie.  I'm sure these two will have some more great battles over the years.  Maybe the Cavs will even make the playoffs some day.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:52 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Good game by Irving tonight.  He got the better of Rondo and led his team to the win.

Congrats, Kyrie.  I'm sure these two will have some more great battles over the years.  Maybe the Cavs will even make the playoffs some day.

Yeah, and let's hope the Celtics are there when they do . . .

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Offensive efficiency

Boston 100.2
Cleveland 98.9

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats

Boston 20th
Cleveland 27th

Boston offensive rating:  102.1 (27th)
Cleveland offensive rating: 103.0 (20th)

That's according to basketball-reference.com.  It comes down to whose formula you prefer, Jimmy Oliver's or Hollinger's.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
All the PG talk is nice but what was the last team that won a championship having their PG as the best player on that team? Was it Billups for the Pistons? And before that I can't think of anyone all the way back to I.Thomas & Magic.
I'm fine with Rondo as out PG, I'm not so happy with most of the other guys on the team right now.
Billups was not the best player on the championship team.  He did win the finals MVP, but both Wallace's were better players and Hamilton might have been as well.  By the end of that 5 or so year run, Billups was by far the best player, but he was not the title season which was the beginning of that run.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
He was last night...he's a young player with something to prove in the match up...rondo in his second year was better than Chris Paul by these standards

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
He was last night...he's a young player with something to prove in the match up...rondo in his second year was better than Chris Paul by these standards

Kyrie is light years ahead of where Rondo was in his second year.  Rondo did play well against CP3 in his second year (although nowhere near as well as Irving played last night.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Haven't read through the thread, but as for the title... not really news.

30 out of 30 NBA GMs would take Irving over Rondo if they were building a team from the ground up.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

30 out of 30 NBA GMs would take Irving over Rondo if they were building a team from the ground up.

Thanks for your personal, completely unfounded, opinion. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I agree with ssspence.  Kyrie's younger, which means he has the potential to become a better defender, passer, rebounder, and winner.  I'm not saying Rondo can't improve in any of these categories, it's just that he doesn't have as much time as Irving.

Irving also has more potential than Rondo.  That's going to attract a lot, if not all, GMs.

If we could trade Rondo for Irving straight-up, I'd have to think long and hard about it.  Maybe not this year, but next year, absolutely.

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 09:12:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It's his personal opinion, but I question how unfounded it is.

A couple of years ago, Danny tried to move Rondo for Steph Curry, and was rebuffed.  Similarly, New Orleans indicated it had no interest in Rondo, despite him being on a very good contract relative to his talent.

Now, that's just two GMs out of 30, but I get the sense that the league is moving in the direction of guys who can create their own offense.

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If we had traded Rondo for Kyrie at the beginning of the year, would our record be better, worse, or the same?  Would we have a better or worse shot in the playoffs?

I think we'd be better with him.  His ability to create his own offense is exactly what our aging stars need to take some of the pressure off of them.

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Opinions tend to be personal. As for unfounded... do you think I'm incorrect? It's conceivable 1 or 2 would deviate, but they'd likely be one of the lower half of NBA GMs (King, Smith, Petrie, etc), and they'd be making a mistake.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I get the sense that the league is moving in the direction of guys who can create their own offense.

This, though I don't think this is new.

The reason Rondo is not more valuable (and IMO why Ainge would like to trade him), is that he struggles to win games in the 4th Q. He can't carry a team from a scoring perspective, and he's a liability at the FT line. This why we're subjected to that PP step-back for every last shot. It's arguably why we miss Ray Allen the most.

Magic Johnson has said this about Rondo many times. To take the next step, to be the franchise player and carry the team, to be a true MVP candidate, he needs to be able to score. Easier said than done...

Irving has that. An NBA team would take that ability over a few assists any day.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)