Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 81622 times)

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2019, 11:23:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The bats and bullpen are in regular season mode. It's the starters that are still in exhibition mode. They have been beyond bad.

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The bats and bullpen are in regular season mode. It's the starters that are still in exhibition mode. They have been beyond bad.

It's pretty bad. David Price probably gave the best start out of all 5 starters but still not good enough.

Even the offense really isn't clicking yet. With the exception of JD and Devers, the bats are also relatively quiet.

Yesterday, some minor league starter from Oakland shut the Red Sox down in six innings pitched.

Speaking of Devers, his defense at 3rd base is pretty choppy and he's still pretty raw.

If his defense doesn't improve, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox call up one of their 3rd base minor league players (Dalbec or Chavis) and give them a chance.

I am glad they extended Sale and especially Bogaerts. Hopefully Sale can right the ship tonight.

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 03:06:29 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
When you need to have Eduardo Nunez pitch the 9th inning you’ve had a bad night as a team.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2019, 04:35:35 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

The team made a concerted effort to rest their starters in Spring Training.  Since they pitched through October, they wanted to give them a later and slower start to the preseason.  I loved the theory at the time.  Why waste innings when it doesn't count? But it's clearly backfired.  Hopefully, they (Sale in particular) will be strong in September and October and the strategy will have paid off.

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2019, 10:14:10 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
So going into tonight our starters have pitched 40.1 innings across 9 games and have given up 58 hits and 43 earned runs. Ouch. It's like we're facing a Murderer's Row every night  :laugh:

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 11:49:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Teams must LOVE seeing Boston on their schedule right now. What a pitiful team this is. Tonight they actually give Price a 3-0 lead—so of course he turns right around and IMMEDIATELY gives up 4 runs. And they got beat almost singlehandedly by ... Carson Kelly?

Pathetic.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 11:57:07 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Beaten by a walkoff in Arizona  :laugh:

Colten Brewer ain't exactly Craig Kimbrel

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Yeah, it's pretty ugly.

What I am noticing is the little things. They're a step slow, one step behind.

The pitch in the 9th inning getting by Vazquez. Benintendi not being able to catch that line drive in the 2nd inning. Not a routine play by any means, but at least play it on a hop rather than dive.

Of course, the fly ball falling between Bradley and Mookie on Thursday.

I know playoff spots aren't clinched in April, but you can certainly play yourself out of the postseason if you stumble out of the gate.

If the Sox are (for example) 14-28 after May 15th, then we can probably kiss this season goodbye.

Hard to figure out where the problem lies.

I suppose they deserve a second chance after they come back to Boston and get their rings. Just get out of the west coast.

Velasquez is pitching tomorrow, so they'll probably be 2-9 when they come back home :(

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2019, 03:54:10 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Yeah, it's pretty ugly.

What I am noticing is the little things. They're a step slow, one step behind.

The pitch in the 9th inning getting by Vazquez. Benintendi not being able to catch that line drive in the 2nd inning. Not a routine play by any means, but at least play it on a hop rather than dive.

Of course, the fly ball falling between Bradley and Mookie on Thursday.

I know playoff spots aren't clinched in April, but you can certainly play yourself out of the postseason if you stumble out of the gate.

If the Sox are (for example) 14-28 after May 15th, then we can probably kiss this season goodbye.

Hard to figure out where the problem lies.

I suppose they deserve a second chance after they come back to Boston and get their rings. Just get out of the west coast.

Velasquez is pitching tomorrow, so they'll probably be 2-9 when they come back home :(

I just think they weren't mentally ready. A lot of uncharacteristic mistakes when things start unraveling.

They need to get home, regroup and try to reset in a familiar environment.

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

The team made a concerted effort to rest their starters in Spring Training.  Since they pitched through October, they wanted to give them a later and slower start to the preseason.  I loved the theory at the time.  Why waste innings when it doesn't count? But it's clearly backfired.  Hopefully, they (Sale in particular) will be strong in September and October and the strategy will have paid off.

Oh they'll be good by Sept or Oct alright...

But my math tells me what good is that if they're in last place anyways.

As someone has said.. Once they fall to 14-28...then kiss the season goodbye which I completely agree on... Right now they are on pace to get their 10th win in a month's time... Yuck.

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Imagine this board if the Cs had begun the season 2-8!

This has to be one of the biggest let down starts in MLB history. The Sox were dominant last year and they basically went out and gave everybody (except for a shaky Kimbrel) big pay-raise extensions - players that are in their prime. It won't make any sense if they don't turn it around, but crazier things happened.

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 11:25:49 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm willing to see this team return to Fenway, play at home more and make a judgement then. I'm a little worried but not officially panicking. We're still within 5 games of the division and a handful of teams (including us) are basically within 3 games of the 2nd place team. Still way too early in the season.

I'll admit, I thought we would go either 5-6 or 6-5 on this trip, but it's clearly been a disaster. Was never going to be easy starting on an 11-game West Coast trip.

To me though, what bugs me is not just the fact that we start out west, but the fact that we've gotten ZERO DAYS OFF to this point. Literally every other team in the league has had at least one (or two) days off except the Sox who happen to start on the opposite coast.  ::)

Yankees meanwhile start 9 games against DET & BAL (two of the easiest teams in the MLB) and have 2 day offs mixed in.  ::)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I'm willing to see this team return to Fenway, play at home more and make a judgement then. I'm a little worried but not officially panicking. We're still within 5 games of the division and a handful of teams (including us) are basically within 3 games of the 2nd place team. Still way too early in the season.

I'll admit, I thought we would go either 5-6 or 6-5 on this trip, but it's clearly been a disaster. Was never going to be easy starting on an 11-game West Coast trip.

To me though, what bugs me is not just the fact that we start out west, but the fact that we've gotten ZERO DAYS OFF to this point. Literally every other team in the league has had at least one (or two) days off except the Sox who happen to start on the opposite coast.  ::)

Yankees meanwhile start 9 games against DET & BAL (two of the easiest teams in the MLB) and have 2 day offs mixed in.  ::)

I agree on the schedule. The only thing about the West Coast trip is at least they get it out of the way, didn't have to play in the cold New England weather, and don't have another one 'til the end of August. But I must admit, I've never heard of an 11 game road trip before. The most has always been 10.

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 01:21:52 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
We will be fine. This team is loaded with All-stars. Just need a couple good weeks and some home cooking and all this will be a distant memory.

I have a feeling that the Fenway crowd will be able to remind these players who they really are.

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I agree on the schedule. The only thing about the West Coast trip is at least they get it out of the way, didn't have to play in the cold New England weather, and don't have another one 'til the end of August. But I must admit, I've never heard of an 11 game road trip before. The most has always been 10.

Yep. Good win today and so far the bullpen has been phenomenal honestly.

Now lets go home and feast on all the divisional opponents we face the next few weeks  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller