Author Topic: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (We Did It Guys! Fireworks!!!)  (Read 329844 times)

Re: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (UPDATE: Meeting With Utah Today)
« Reply #720 on: July 03, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Of course Hayward approved the Rubio trade. You think the Jazz would make such a significant move without running it by their franchise player who's about to be a free agent? They want to make Gordon happy and probably knew George Hill was pricing himself out of their market.

As far as Hill, I think his agent messed him up. Turning down that supposed 3-year, $60m extension offer from Utah looks like a mistake now.

Oh sure, Rubio is better than nothing, but Rubio is certainly not better than Hill, which is who Hayward preferred all along according to numerous sources. They just chose the cheaper Rubio because it also allowed them to keep Ingles.

(And because it's Utah and they know what their fans like... let's be honest)

Spaniards?

Let's stay away from that type of talk, please.

Say no more, say no more.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #721 on: July 03, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Of course Hayward approved the Rubio trade. You think the Jazz would make such a significant move without running it by their franchise player who's about to be a free agent? They want to make Gordon happy and probably knew George Hill was pricing himself out of their market.

As far as Hill, I think his agent messed him up. Turning down that supposed 3-year, $60m extension offer from Utah looks like a mistake now.

Oh sure, Rubio is better than nothing, but Rubio is certainly not better than Hill, which is who Hayward preferred all along according to numerous sources. They just chose the cheaper Rubio because it also allowed them to keep Ingles.

But Ramona's tweet doesn't say anything about Hayward preferring Rubio, that's a leap some guys are making. Likely, Rubio was presented to Gordon as a contingency plan and Gordon approved. The Rubio deal was rumored for a few weeks, pretty sure Gordon was filled in on multiple scenarios and was given a chance for input. He might've preferred Hill, but maybe he found Rubio and a resigned Ingles an acceptable alternative.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #722 on: July 03, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »

Online j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3065
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Haywards friend George hill discussing 1 year deal with lakers

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/881926123248070657
Signing him would effectively knock the lakers pick out of the top 5.

I am not sure about that.  Hill is a good complimentary player.  Is he enough to get the Lakers out of the muck?  not so sure.

plus, does this mean that Ball comes off the bench?  I thought he was already penciled in as a starter?  better to let him develop slowly, but I didn't think the lakers were smart enough to do that.
Hill + Lopez is enough when you have teams like Sacramento, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago and Phoenix out there.
Which is why Ainge is stupid for trading away the number one and at the least not asking for more. This offseason is going about as bad as it could have gone. I hope Markelle Fultz destroys the Celtics today and I'm not joking.
Not sure I understand.  You don't hope that Tatum outplays Fultz tonight and that we end up with top 5 pick in 18 or 19?
I hope Tatum does great. I'm just p---ed right now and if Fultz kicks ass hey maybe Danny learns a thing about just giving away number one picks
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #723 on: July 03, 2017, 03:43:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Celtics brass needs to take Hayward to the Summer League game tonight.

Show them our future and sign that contract right there LOL
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #724 on: July 03, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

would have been perfect if Hayward flew to Utah not san diego

« Reply #725 on: July 03, 2017, 03:45:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
Are the Jazz in luxury tax if they re-sign Hayward with the whole team?

« Reply #726 on: July 03, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

would have been perfect if Hayward flew to Utah not san diego

I know they are in SD, but I mean take a quick flight there and watch haha

« Reply #727 on: July 03, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't see how Rubio is an upgrade on Hill, honestly.

With Hayward, Johnson, and Hood, that team didn't lack playmakers.

The issue was a lack of scoring threats.

A Rubio / Gobert pick and roll involves no shooting and is therefore subject to aggressive defenses that have learned to give zero respect to such pick and roll pairings.

I don't really get the Hayward - Rubio interest.  RR isn't a good shooter, he isn't as big of a threat to score as Hill is, so I would think that would be a net loss for Utah.

Hayward has never really played with a pass-first point guard in his career.  It might be something that attracts him from a basketball perspective.  He's been as much of a point guard as anyone for much of his career, and he might like a slightly different role.

I'm not saying I know what Hayward's wishes are, but it's not impossible to see how Rubio could be someone that Hayward would like to play alongside.

This does fit the report that Miami was attractive to him because he'd be the primary offensive option, Tim MacMahon's report that Gordon was hesitant to play with IT because he dominates the ball, and The Ringer article where he was quoted saying he believed he could do more offensively than Coach Snyder was asking of him.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #728 on: July 03, 2017, 03:47:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I am not sure about that.  Hill is a good complimentary player.  Is he enough to get the Lakers out of the muck?  not so sure.

plus, does this mean that Ball comes off the bench?  I thought he was already penciled in as a starter?  better to let him develop slowly, but I didn't think the lakers were smart enough to do that.
Hill + Lopez is enough when you have teams like Sacramento, Brooklyn, Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago and Phoenix out there.
Which is why Ainge is stupid for trading away the number one and at the least not asking for more. This offseason is going about as bad as it could have gone. I hope Markelle Fultz destroys the Celtics today and I'm not joking.
Not sure I understand.  You don't hope that Tatum outplays Fultz tonight and that we end up with top 5 pick in 18 or 19?
I hope Tatum does great. I'm just p---ed right now and if Fultz kicks ass hey maybe Danny learns a thing about just giving away number one picks
Ah so it was an emotion driven overreaction. I'm glad our gm doesn't make those.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #729 on: July 03, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
Ramona Shelbourne is a legit reporter yes, and I'm not denying her credibility nor that this report is dead wrong.

But has she EVER said anything positive about the C's in any tweet or TV appearance? Rarely. Of course being a Lakers fan might be a reason..

What's more annoying is she's the one who broke this news. Ugh.

She and Windhorst trashed the C's after the George trade and said it should be a given he goes to Miami now to play with superstar Dragic...  ::)

« Reply #730 on: July 03, 2017, 03:48:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Unless Fultz dominates us and Danny has to explain why he passed on him.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #731 on: July 03, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 708
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Ramona Shelbourne is a legit reporter yes, and I'm not denying her credibility nor that this report is dead wrong.

But has she EVER said anything positive about the C's in any tweet or TV appearance? Rarely. Of course being a Lakers fan might be a reason..

What's more annoying is she's the one who broke this news. Ugh.

She and Windhorst trashed the C's after the George trade and said it should be a given he goes to Miami now to play with superstar Dragic...  ::)

I was about to type this same thing

Re: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (UPDATE: Jazz May Have The Edge)
« Reply #732 on: July 03, 2017, 03:58:41 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/881961403719991297

Hayward meeting with jazz still ongoing

« Reply #733 on: July 03, 2017, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214

You'd rather have your opinion validated than see the Celtics do well? Do you seriously not see something wrong with that?
I'm bitter.

Re: 2016-2017 Gordon Hayward Thread (UPDATE: Jazz May Have The Edge)
« Reply #734 on: July 03, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
If we don't get Hayward, then I'm glad we didn't trade the farm for George for one year
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin