Poll

Would you?...... trade Brown, Tatum and Smart (+ fillers) for Davis?

Yes
15 (10.9%)
No
114 (82.6%)
Ask me at the trade deadline
9 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis  (Read 14951 times)

Re: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2018, 11:03:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tatum for Davis.

Obviously there is filler, but who cares? Tatum for Davis.

Both transcendent players.

Tatum isn’t there yet. That’s got to be factored into the equation.

I’d like to think that Paul Pierce is his most likely scenario, but is that true?

Tatum could quite easily be better than pierce.

Can we just let this young man live his career before we put unnecessary expectations first.. that's a very bold statement. Pierce has been one of the most underappreciated stars of his entire career.

Sure, but we're discussing his potential on an internet forum which he'll never read. So who cares what our expectations are. He could be better than Pierce. He has the tools and more speed and athleticism. Its completely conceivable.

I don't say that lightly. Paul was my favourite player ever.
I must be getting old because Pierce is only my 4th favorite Celtic after Bird, Havlicek and McHale.

Must say though, Tatum has the potential to bust into that top 4. Time will tell but he has that type of potential.

See I only go back to McHale/Bird, but there is still Havlicek & Bill Russell ahead at least, and JoJo White is up here in the top 5-7 conversation as well. That might put Pierce outside the Celtics all time top-5.

Tatum is special smooth with the ball though. Comes natural.  And he rebounds and can defend, too.
If Larry and JoJo played in today's NBA with the 3 point shot being used as it is, they would be considered so much better than they are perceived today. Pistol Pete, too.

« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2018, 10:07:09 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Due to the premium of 3 point shooting and athletic players with length in today's game, isn't Tatum a great combination of both. It is like NBA scientists went to a lab before the draft, and developed Jayson.

Don't get me wrong, I love Anthony Davis, but he plays a position that the league seems to be moving away from offensively. The only reason I would want Davis is for his rebounding and defense.

Due to having to match salaries in the trade, I feel like a package that includes Tatum, provides more bang for your buck than Davis.

« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Due to the premium of 3 point shooting and athletic players with length in today's game, isn't Tatum a great combination of both. It is like NBA scientists went to a lab before the draft, and developed Jayson.
Davis is shooting 37% from three this year. I'm pretty confident that he can take a much greater volume too, but the Pelicans have Boogie be the spacing big from deep.

« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Don't get me wrong, I love Anthony Davis, but he plays a position that the league seems to be moving away from offensively. The only reason I would want Davis is for his rebounding and defense.

The league will never move away from Davis’ skill set.

26 points, 10 rebounds on 56% FG% / 37% 3PT% / .582 eFG% / .640 TS%. He gets to the line 8 times per game, is a decent passer, and is a borderline-elite defender.

With Kyrie, Hayward and Jaylen, Davis is pretty much the best fit possible.

A trade isn’t practical this season, but if we could do something next year for Tatum + Morris + resigned DPE player, I’d drive Tatum to the airport.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2018, 10:40:02 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Tatum for Davis.

Obviously there is filler, but who cares? Tatum for Davis.

Both transcendent players.

Tatum isn’t there yet. That’s got to be factored into the equation.

I’d like to think that Paul Pierce is his most likely scenario, but is that true?

Tatum could quite easily be better than pierce.
Imagine a 6'9 version of Paul Pierce that could legitimately see time at PF. Scary.

Of course, Tatum still has ways to go before he's close to Pierce's playmaking ability, but there's no reason this shouldn't come with time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

The league will never move away from Davis’ skill set.

26 points, 10 rebounds on 56% FG% / 37% 3PT% / .582 eFG% / .640 TS%. He gets to the line 8 times per game, is a decent passer, and is a borderline-elite defender.

With Kyrie, Hayward and Jaylen, Davis is pretty much the best fit possible.

A trade isn’t practical this season, but if we could do something next year for Tatum + Morris + resigned DPE player, I’d drive Tatum to the airport.

I like Davis. I probably wouldn't trade Tatum for him (as a fan with green-tinted glasses), but I like Davis.

However, I disagree with the narrative that he is a borderline elite defender. He was elite in college and came into the NBA with that reputation, but few stats indicate he has even had elite stretches in his career. His first few years he was an average defender. These last two years he has been above average to good.

Part of that might be that he puts so much energy into offense that he has none left for defense, but its still worth a note.

His passing is average (decent as you say). That's not a plus quality, it's just not a negative quality.

Still 26 and 12 with great efficiency and the potential for good defense is awesome.