Author Topic: Will the LeBrondo expereince work out?  (Read 2957 times)

Will the LeBrondo expereince work out?
« on: October 03, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
as much as i despise the Lakers, i can't wait to se the stunning basketball these two are going to play with each other. Both are dudes who do things on the court that i've never seen anyone else replicate. Although they're in their thirties now (so surreal), i think the Lakers will be a force in the west with these two at the helm.

However, Rondo has been known to coast in the regular season, which may have gotten even worse with age. That lackluster style may not fly with LeBron. A lot of the Lakers success is going to depend on if some of the young guys - Ingram, Ball, Kuzma - can step up to the plate and hit shots when it counts. James certainly doesn't have the 3 point weapons to space the floor that he had in Cleveland which could be an issue. Rondo certainly isn't going to help in the regard.

Overall, how do you see these two playing together.

P.s. i wouldn't be as excited if i thought the Lakers were a legitimate title threat, because LA simply can not tie the celtics all time title record, but i think they'll do well enough to say that this whole experiment won't be a waste.

Re: Will the LeBrondo expereince work out?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Overall, how do you see these two (LeBron and Rondo) playing together?

Based on the very early returns, the ball movement is going to be exquisite.  They're making Javale McGee look like an All-Star for crying out loud.

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:29:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Based on the very early returns, the ball movement is going to be exquisite.  They're making Javale McGee look like an All-Star for crying out loud.
I have this small hope that Javale does make it, purely for my amusement.

However, LeBron has been one of the laziest defenders in the league over the last 1-2 years, and Rondo prefers to act like a defensive quarterback almost in telling others what to do, and then gambles to get steals and the like. Could be some defensive problems next to Ingram, who is merely passable, and Ball, who isn’t great either
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

However, LeBron has been one of the laziest defenders in the league over the last 1-2 years, and Rondo prefers to act like a defensive quarterback almost in telling others what to do, and then gambles to get steals and the like. Could be some defensive problems next to Ingram, who is merely passable, and Ball, who isn’t great either

Yeah, defense could very well be their undoing. I don't see anyone on that roster that is really an elite defender, and yes, both LeBron and Rondo have become very inconsistent with their effort on that side of the ball.

On another note, I'm very interested to see how the Rondo/Ball story line plays out. I'm kind of hoping it blows up in their face and LaVar goes nuts if/when Lonzo cannot take the starting job from Rondo.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
maybe at first for awhile but eventually... BOOM! :)

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah, defense could very well be their undoing. I don't see anyone on that roster that is really an elite defender, and yes, both LeBron and Rondo have become very inconsistent with their effort on that side of the ball.

On another note, I'm very interested to see how the Rondo/Ball story line plays out. I'm kind of hoping it blows up in their face and LaVar goes nuts if/when Lonzo cannot take the starting job from Rondo.
I would like nothing more than to see LaVar make the LAL locker room implode

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
some diva is going to have his feeling hurt

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 10:41:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 11:17:10 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
mediocre regular season....excellent team in the playoffs

I predict 7th or 8th seed in West, and 7 game series loss to Warriors in 1st or 2cnd round...

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 12:34:52 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
LBJ can do a lot with a little. They wont be terrible but they aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked if they win a round in the playoffs but that's about it. Like, I could see them getting 4/5 seed and winning.

Who knows, they may play hard early and that could help them to a solid seeding because other teams will be trying to get clicking after AS break and pace themselves early.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 01:36:18 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I predict 7th or 8th seed in West, and 7 game series loss to Warriors in 1st or 2cnd round...

I called them an excellent playoff team.  I think I was underrating them for the regular season.  They are young enough to get the 3rd or 4th seed behind GS and Houston, and possibly Utah.

I think the Lakers are not just better than last year's Cavs, but MUCH better.  They are young, deep and talented.  Scary.  Golden state will need a fully healthy team to beat a healthy Lakers team...
Their only weakness is depth and defense at center...

As great as Houston is, I think the Lakers will have the energy to take them out...

Rondo, Ball, Hart, Stephenson
Ball, Stephenson, Pope, Hart
Ingram, James, Stephenson, Pope
James, Kuzma, Wagner
McGee, Kuzma, James, Wagner, Zubac

Rondo will get a lot of rest in the regular season...then orchestrate with James in the playoffs...
They should trade Pope and Zubac for a better big man to pair with McGee...(does Pope have any value.? was injured?), someone with girth and/or grit who rebounds...

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 06:01:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I called them an excellent playoff team.  I think I was underrating them for the regular season.  They are young enough to get the 3rd or 4th seed behind GS and Houston, and possibly Utah.

I think the Lakers are not just better than last year's Cavs, but MUCH better.  They are young, deep and talented.  Scary.  Golden state will need a fully healthy team to beat a healthy Lakers team...

As great as Houston is, I think the Lakers will have the energy to take them out...

Rondo, Ball, Hart, Stephenson
Ball, Stephenson, Pope, Hart
Ingram, James, Stephenson, Pope
James, Kuzma, Wagner
McGee, Kuzma, James, Wagner, Zubac

Rondo will get a lot of rest in the regular season...then orchestrate with James in the playoffs...
They should trade Pope and Zubac for a better big man to pair with McGee...(does Pope have any value.? was injured?), someone with girth and/or grit who rebounds...
I think you’re overlooking their most significant weaknesses IMO, in their lack of shooting and terrible guard defence. I still have them behind Houston, GSW, Utah, and on the same level as SAS and OKC

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 06:51:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Rondo,
Ball, Stephenson,
Ingram,
James, Kuzma,
McGee,

first gouki81 brings up important points that need to addressed about the lakers.

next, i removed the the duplicate players from your list above (e.g. stephensen and james mentioned three times, etc.) as well as marginal/questionable players (zubac for one. in 2 seasons he has averaged 5.5 points and 3.5 rebounds).

now the lineups above dont look so deep or impressive. Mcgee? not afraid. how will this team play defense? rondo looks to be the most fearsome defender, and he no longer is a good defender on a consistent basis.

nor do i see much real depth there. james will drag this team to the playoffs, i have no doubt. but they are a seriously flawed team.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 07:18:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Rondo,
Ball, Stephenson,
Ingram,
James, Kuzma,
McGee,

first gouki81 brings up important points that need to addressed about the lakers.

next, i removed the the duplicate players from your list above (e.g. stephensen and james mentioned three times, etc.) as well as marginal/questionable players (zubac for one. in 2 seasons he has averaged 5.5 points and 3.5 rebounds).

now the lineups above dont look so deep or impressive. Mcgee? not afraid. how will this team play defense? rondo looks to be the most fearsome defender, and he no longer is a good defender on a consistent basis.

nor do i see much real depth there. james will drag this team to the playoffs, i have no doubt. but they are a seriously flawed team.
TP, completely agree. The lineup that they play with Kuzma at the small ball 5 will get them into lots of trouble against some teams I believe, like New Orleans, Golden State, Denver and maybe Minny.

Upon reflection, I probably like New Orleans' team more than LA actually

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 07:54:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Rondo,
Ball, Stephenson,
Ingram,
James, Kuzma,
McGee,

They look better than I thought they would but young teams in preseason usually play very hard and look OK. The shooting and defense look to be problems, but they also probably average 40 free throws a game.