Author Topic: Green's D vs LeBron (breakdown)  (Read 5117 times)

Green's D vs LeBron (breakdown)
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:16:38 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Great stuff. I was looking for this yesterday. Also curious to know what the Wade breakdown was vs Bradley and Lee specifically.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4701709/green-day-limiting-lebron#more

Green wasn't perfect, but he played gritty defense on James and limited his scoring output. James scored 34 points on 14-of-31 shooting over 52 minutes, but much of his damage was done when someone other than Green was defending.

According to Synergy Sports individual defensive data, Green allowed a mere 0.75 points per play overall on Sunday as opponents were 5-of-17 shooting (29.4 percent) against him. Here's a closer look at plays that James finished with Green defending:

2nd   2:55   Miss 2PT   Green pushes James off the blocks in isolation situation and James settles for fadeay that rims out

2nd   1:31   Foul   James drives in isolation, fouled near the hoop (James makes 1 of 2 FTs)

3rd   2:09   Miss 2PT   In what would becomes a familiar sequence, James settles for a long jumper from the wing that rims out

4th   11:36   Miss 2PT   Green blankets James for much of the possession, then forces off-balanced jumper that won't fall

4th   3:02   Make 2PT   James loses handle of the ball driving into the paint, but recovers for short fadeaway jumper

4th   0:07   Make 3PT   Tough situation for Green as James chased down a long rebound, comes off high pick-and-roll and makes clutch pull-up 3-pointer to force OT

OT   3:25   Miss 2PT   Green prevents drive and James' fadeaway jumper is off the mark

OT   0:14   Miss 2PT   Isolated on left side, James drives to the hoop where Green gets help from Kevin Garnett to prevent a miss in a tied game

2OT   4:33   Miss 2PT   Familiar outcome: Fadeaway from left wing in ISO situation won’t fall

2OT   1:47   Miss 2PT   James backs Green down to low blocks, spins to baseline, but little hook shot won't go

2OT   1:02   Make 2PT   Green gets beat on drive and James produces a three-point play as Paul Pierce doesn’t get a charge call

2OT   0:06   Miss 2PT   With Miami down a point, James drives to the left side and gets a decent look, but Green contests and his shot finds back iron

The final tally for Green defending James: 3-for-11 shooting (27.3 percent) with one foul and a total of nine points allowed. Given that James averages around a point per possession this season, limiting him to nine points on 12 possessions is a stellar afternoon for Green. But maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

Re: Green's D vs LeBron (breakdown)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:51:13 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Doesn't surprise me at all - watching this game I was absolutely in awe at Green's defense on Lebron. 

I seriously don't think I've ever seen anybody give him that much trouble before. Green may have found his niche' because if he can play defense like that every night, he could go scoreless and STILL be earning that contract.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Doesn't surprise me at all - watching this game I was absolutely in awe at Green's defense on Lebron. 

I seriously don't think I've ever seen anybody give him that much trouble before. Green may have found his niche' because if he can play defense like that every night, he could go scoreless and STILL be earning that contract.

The possibility of having Green cover LeBron so that Pierce doesn't have to is, in my opinion, reason #1 that Ainge signed him to that contract in the first place.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Great stuff.  Green was definitely engaged on the defensive end.  Nobody is truly a "Lebron stopper", but I was impressed with how hard Green made Lebron work. 

If Green brought that level of play every night, I don't think anybody would be as upset with the sporadic shooting, rebounding, and passing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Great post TP for you sir. Love seeing these stats. Well done Green, keep the ball rolling sir.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
this was much ado about LeBron settling...green can't stop him

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

at least we can contain him and forced to miss shots

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Who can?  All a guy can do is make Lebron work hard for his points or force him into jump shots.

Also, I think you're not giving Green enough credit.  According to that data, Lebron shot 3-for-11 against Green, and 11-for-20 against everyone else.  That suggests that Green was doing his job.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Great stuff.  Green was definitely engaged on the defensive end.  Nobody is truly a "Lebron stopper", but I was impressed with how hard Green made Lebron work. 

If Green brought that level of play every night, I don't think anybody would be as upset with the sporadic shooting, rebounding, and passing.
This game was a great step for our future. Jeff Green doesn't need to score 20 a game to live up to his contract, if he can defend, provide energy, score on the break and knock down the open jumper he will be worth every penny.
A 1,2,3 combination of Rondo, Bradley and Green means this team will continue its defensive mentality long after KG retires.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Who can?  All a guy can do is make Lebron work hard for his points or force him into jump shots.

Also, I think you're not giving Green enough credit.  According to that data, Lebron shot 3-for-11 against Green, and 11-for-20 against everyone else.  That suggests that Green was doing his job.

Love the rationalization about LeBron "settling", we were very good guarding his dribble drives, and forcing LeBron to "settle" has been the Celtics' strategy when guarding LeBron since forever... it's what helped us eliminate the Cavs multiple times during the playoffs.

Enticing the opposing player to take a bad shot IS good defense.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 01:03:21 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

This game was a great step for our future. Jeff Green doesn't need to score 20 a game to live up to his contract, if he can defend, provide energy, score on the break and knock down the open jumper he will be worth every penny.
A 1,2,3 combination of Rondo, Bradley and Green means this team will continue its defensive mentality long after KG retires.

1 more game in season vs heat, i want to see it again

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:12:47 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jeff Green has long way to go to prove he is capable of playing defense like that consitently.  I was thoroughly pleased with his effort though.

I'd be perfectly content if Green became an Igoudala type player.  Mostly known for his defense, but capable of putting up 15ppg/5RPG.  I'm just not sold he is capable of bringing that level of effort every night.  He has yet to do it 5 years into his career.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 01:20:02 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
All well and good if Pierce and KG were 5 years younger... and Green was given a big contract to be the Lebron stopper for multiple years of contention. His fit... if we are rebuilding... sucks. Guy has a unique skill set and may be worth the contract if he can make such a contribution on a contender. Rebuilding around him, though, is silly. How many years does it take a GM to gauge an individual's motor/personality?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 01:23:32 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Jeff Green has long way to go to prove he is capable of playing defense like that consitently.  I was thoroughly pleased with his effort though.

I'd be perfectly content if Green became an Igoudala type player.  Mostly known for his defense, but capable of putting up 15ppg/5RPG.  I'm just not sold he is capable of bringing that level of effort every night.  He has yet to do it 5 years into his career.

Iguodala is only limited by his abilities... freak athlete, great defender, turned himself into a shooter with work. Green is way too soft to compare, at this stage... (which is prob halfway through his frieken career) to start change his make-up. I don't hate him. I actually think he's quite pretty. Would be perfect for He Got Game 2. Just smushy soft.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 04:10:38 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

He has been good defensively against Melo, Lebroid, Deng, and Durant... exactly what we need him for!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)