Author Topic: Fans, through thick and thin  (Read 3204 times)

Re: Fans, through thick and thin
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 10:12:09 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I'll always bleed green and yes my fandom of the team will ebb and flow based on how they make me feel. Last season was easily the least likeable team I ever followed. I will say this though, I think the league is heading down a terrible path where only a select number of teams will truly benefit. Unfortunately I don't think the C's will be one of those teams without great organizational work to offset location and power. The way I look at things, you have about 4 to 5 years tops and then you'll have to retool and/or start over. These guys are so fickle now at the first sign of trouble it may be best to cut bait. I cringe to think how bad it will be when LeBron finally owns a team.

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 10:27:20 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I cringe to think how bad it will be when LeBron finally owns a team.
LeBron will be a horrible owner - his ego will never allow him to hire a GM who won't be a yes man.
Personally I can't wait for this to happen.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 11:06:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I cringe to think how bad it will be when LeBron finally owns a team.
LeBron will be a horrible owner - his ego will never allow him to hire a GM who won't be a yes man.
Personally I can't wait for this to happen.
he can't be any worse than Jordan
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 07:43:34 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Been a fan since 79... First and only game my pop ever took me too - Lakers / Celtics  (My brother was a Laker fan) I Was 8.. Never rooted for any other team after that moment.

Anyway - I feel we are actually right on schedule...   When We lost Pierce and KG  we got Brown and Tatum... I have always believed that you had to grow a championship, not buy it... Kyrie and Hayward were just fillers in my eyes...  Just guys who were supposed to Get our guys ready to lead... I never thought Kyrie was going to lead us to a chip. Always thought it would be Brown and/or Tatum...

I do believe you can bring in a big-time free Agent but they cant be the Face...  The face needs to be homegrown...  (I know there are a few lucky shots (the Detroit team)) But for the most part...  It normally doesn't work... (Yes the Claw did it, but the team was loaded lead by Lowery who had been there forever) We had Pierce here... D wade was in Miami and then Bron when back home to win it again...)

Anyway, for us Last year was a year of Growing for our young kids... The first year playing with any Real expectations. They failed miserably but the things they learned from how Kyrie lead should really resonate with both of them...  I am excited to see how they both tackle this year.

I do not believe we will a chip until the one of the Jays is the face of the Franchise. (Probably Tatum)

So I am happy with whatever we do to get to that point...

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 05:54:40 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

First, off in my humble opinion someone bragging on a forum about how often they are right, is one of the most obnoxious things a poster can do

While that is true, the people who seem completely unable to admit how often they are wrong are a tad bit more obnoxious, if you ask me.

(and usually an indication it is not true cause it does not need to be bragged about if that is the case, the posts speak for themselves)

Yeah, right. Tommy points are totally not group think points.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2019, 06:23:36 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

First, off in my humble opinion someone bragging on a forum about how often they are right, is one of the most obnoxious things a poster can do

While that is true, the people who seem completely unable to admit how often they are wrong are a tad bit more obnoxious, if you ask me.

(and usually an indication it is not true cause it does not need to be bragged about if that is the case, the posts speak for themselves)

Yeah, right. Tommy points are totally not group think points.
You deserve a TP for that one!!   :)

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2019, 06:32:27 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
A day after I digested the Kyrie-Al departures, I have realized that I am a much happier Celtic fan than I have been through the whole season. I like our guys. We have good young players, good coach, management, ownership, and we can just go upwards.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2019, 06:51:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'll always bleed green and yes my fandom of the team will ebb and flow based on how they make me feel. Last season was easily the least likeable team I ever followed. I will say this though, I think the league is heading down a terrible path where only a select number of teams will truly benefit. Unfortunately I don't think the C's will be one of those teams without great organizational work to offset location and power. The way I look at things, you have about 4 to 5 years tops and then you'll have to retool and/or start over. These guys are so fickle now at the first sign of trouble it may be best to cut bait. I cringe to think how bad it will be when LeBron finally owns a team.

glade others reconize this.  Hopefully the Buss 's don't give in and finally run him off.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:57:03 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2019, 09:32:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm really confused how this is different than any other time in league history.  Basketball is the one sport where 1 player can make all the difference in the world to a team.  I mean for the entire decade of the 80's, just two teams represented the West in the Finals and it was only 3 in the East.  From the Lakers title in 80 up to the Heat title in 06 only 7 teams won a NBA championship.  If you add the Heat and then the Mavs, you get only 9 teams until the Warriors won in 15.  In that span the Lakers won 10 titles, the Bulls 6, Spurs 5, Celtics 4, Pistons and Heat 3 each, Rockets 2, and the Sixers and Mavs 1 each.  The Warriors have added 3 titles to go along with the Raptors and Cavs in the last 5 seasons.  The simple reality is, basketball has always been dominated by a handful of teams (the teams vary a bit) because those handful of teams have the handful of players that actually matter. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
People wanted their "warm & fuzzy", now they're probably going to get it. 

The question is how well will that translate to the W/L columns?
The way the league is set up anyone who's type of fan who needs to see their team win a title is going to walk away disappointed.  Each season only a handful of teams has any realistic chance - and as we saw this past season even if you get into a contending position, you still need plenty of luck in terms of injuries and players remaining committed to placing winning above their own personal goals.

I personally enjoy the process - draft to free agency to summer league/training camp etc and the process of trying to get really good.  But I've given up expecting the Celtics to win it all.  Ownership will certainly try and the GM & coach are good enough - but I hope we all enjoyed 2008 because that may the last title for quite a while.

I'm not necessarily title or bust.  Its more of finally resigning myself that I think the team will take a step backwards this season as it goes through the growing pains and the contending window certainly seems pushed out farther.  The scrappy, underdog, feel good stuff is great sometimes;  '01-02, '11-'12, '16'17 all come to mind.    There's a time & place where I love it. Just right now is not the time for me.    We're over a decade now removed from a title.  Nearly a decade since the last Finals appearance.   The climb back from the nadir or '13-'14 was awesome but now seems unfulfilled.  We're heading back towards a youth movement and, unless Danny has some tricks up his sleeve, I think its going to take some time.

Last season was rough.  What happened on the court was disappointing but I also think we saw some of the worst from both Celtics fans & the local media because the team as "not likeable".  I thought some of the stuff was over the top.  My feeling is that fans will love this team much more but they better temper their expectations for the near future.

I don't know if I'd define myself as title or bust, but if given the choice between watching a team full "unlikables" who have a chance at a title versus watching the "little engine that could" type of teams, I'm going with the former.

The process is fun when we're making progress towards the bigger goal, not so much when it just feels like we're treading water.

I agree.  There certainly is a time & a place when its awesome.
Fun, underdog teams, as you very intelligently pointed out have their time and place. '16-17 had perfect chronological timing....a couple years removed from a full tank job, the first year of our first ever landing of a top star free agent, the first year with the current crown jewel of the Brooklyn trade looking good in the playoffs, an unexpected superstar emergence and tremendously heart wrenching story of his playing the playoffs in pain, needing surgery all while grieving for his just departed sister, and seeing the future crown jewel of the Brooklyn trade getting the team the #1 pick. What a perfectly placed feel good season. Who cares that they were dominated in the ECFs. Lovely, lovely season.

But after the disaster that started last season through to now, completely wrecks this being any kind of feel good season. Proper chronology should have seen this team adding Davis to Kyrie after another super deep playoff run, Horford taking a team friendly 3-4 year deal and this season being the first on a long run of titles. But instead, we have a team blown up, not by management, but by the players, with all the free agents becoming free agents and all doing a great impersonation of rats on a sinking ship.

This will always be a pick up the pieces and make lemonade from lemons type season. And lemons will perfectly describe my mood for the upcoming season, sour and bitter. My expectations were so high for this team. I don't want a sugary, feel good season. I wanted a title.

Being who I am, I will still root my team on and always hope for the best, but there is still going to be a part of me that watches what is happening next year and know it should have been very different, and so, I won't really enjoy the season.

well said. sums up my feelings to a tee.  I may still get NBA league pass and watch some but I doubt it will be fun like a couple posters continue spewing. lol. unless by some miracle somebody we drafted turns into a star overnight here and/or we get a real good FA. Then it MAY be fun again. I won't count on it though.
LET'S GO CELTICS!