Author Topic: Paul Pierce Shooting Slump Theory  (Read 3705 times)

Paul Pierce Shooting Slump Theory
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:52:58 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Let's talk about this! I have a little theory...

During this 5 game win streak (without Rondo), PP has come around a little bit. Beforehand, I used to say PP played too much hero ball and was forcing the issue (and bricking shots). I take it back. I think he was being forced to be that guy. RR and Doc called the iso's and gave him the ball and told him to shoot. I'm sure he knew he was in a slump and didn't really want to take those shots. A bit of a stretch for PP, but, I do recall in some of our latter losing games, he tried to pass the ball a little more (I clearly remember in the Hawks game).

With this winning streak, PP is not just 'reduced' to the guy who has to take all the shots. Paul gets to pass and be the facilitator. In the first four games, we feel like he was doing more cuz of the triple dubs and dubs but I think he was extremely comfortable there. He didn't have to be that hero for the entire game. Just in crunch time. And the arc on his shot looks tons better...like...tons.

Last nights game, we reverted. Brought/Walked the ball up the court. He tried to make all the shots because the ball was passed to him. Fortunately, he drove to the basket alot and got to the line. But his shooting was just off.

I think like most people on this team, Paul needs to do 'more' in order to do his best. I think there's a stat out there that typically says when Paul rebounds well, he shoots well or something...idk. Also notice how Jet had another bad night, because he wasn't as involved as much, everyone deferred to PP and KG. Fortunately, KG was on tonight.

Though, I think the 3 days of rest kind of made us lethargic today. Also doesn't help that we play the Lakers tomorrow (saving it).

Hope we get back to the winning formula tomorrow night. EVeryone touches the ball!

Re: Paul Pierce Shooting Slump Theory
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:26 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
His shot is flat right now, with very little arc. Usually an indication of tired legs. I think the all-star break will do him so good.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:34:38 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'll give you a one-line theory: his legs are shot. Some games are better than other, but generally jump shot is a line drive, including free throws.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:34:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is doing other things like facilitating ball movement and rebounding without Rondo.  He is also older, slower and able to create less seperation.

From what I heard Danny and Doc say they don't believe we are a better team without Rondo.  His team mates also don't believe this but it persists here on Celtic's Blog.  Must be a lot of Telfairy supporters but RR is x10 the player Sebastian ever was in the NBA.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'll give you a one-line theory: his legs are shot. Some games are better than other, but generally jump shot is a line drive, including free throws.

Agreed.

If Danny can get some good value for PP, he needs to act on it, and I'm saying this as a big PP fan. I remember years ago being on here arguing with people about how good PP is. People said crazy things like Ginobli was better ever Maggette, but now is the time to move forward.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Gotta go with this... I also have the theory that he is shooting poorly until the trade deadline because he wants to stay a C. After that passes, hes gonna be lights out son.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 01:23:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Let's talk about this! I have a little theory...

During this 5 game win streak (without Rondo), PP has come around a little bit. Beforehand, I used to say PP played too much hero ball and was forcing the issue (and bricking shots). I take it back. I think he was being forced to be that guy. RR and Doc called the iso's and gave him the ball and told him to shoot. I'm sure he knew he was in a slump and didn't really want to take those shots. A bit of a stretch for PP, but, I do recall in some of our latter losing games, he tried to pass the ball a little more (I clearly remember in the Hawks game).

Coming soon to a thread near you: why Rondo was responsible for the sub-prime mortgage crisis.

Maybe Paul's just in the group of players that are playing a little harder the past few games/

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Gotta go with this... I also have the theory that he is shooting poorly until the trade deadline because he wants to stay a C. After that passes, hes gonna be lights out son.

That's a little trick he picked up from Ray over the years.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Here is what I've noticed...

Struggles with 3 point shot, very awkward looking, no arc.

Mid range game has been good, off the dribble pull ups have been there.

Missing more FT's than usual. I can buy the legs theory on the 3 PT shots, but you can't tell me the legs aren't there for FT's. Doesn't take much.

IMO its all mental, maybe the trade theory plays a role.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Missing more FT's than usual. I can buy the legs theory on the 3 PT shots, but you can't tell me the legs aren't there for FT's. Doesn't take much.

Really? I have been watching pierce slowly but surely slow down over the last couple of years. This is not MENTAL its age. It might be a little mental but not ALL or MOSTLY mental. Age is catching up to him, plain and simple.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

I cringe whenever pierce shoots a 3 now. I'm never confident when he shoots it which is sad.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
My theory is that Pierce's shot has been partly affected by trying to comply with the NBA's anti-flopping initiative.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The old man is being asked to score too much... That's all. It makes no sense that at 34 he's still our best/primary/only scorer. Luckily KG is starting to step up his production maybe it will be like last year.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
The old man is being asked to score too much... That's all. It makes no sense that at 34 he's still our best/primary/only scorer. Luckily KG is starting to step up his production maybe it will be like last year.

Make no sense that the only play we run at the end of games is pierce iso. Is it impossible for doc to actually run a real play to try to win the game? Is that asking too much? I agree tho pierce needs to shoot less and rebound and assist more.