Author Topic: What Happens If We Can't Sign A Quality Free Agent  (Read 9597 times)

What Happens If We Can't Sign A Quality Free Agent
« on: July 01, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Early on it seems like the C's aren't even able to get meetings with players that would be an upgrade to our starting lineup.

After first hoping we traded up in the draft, and then hoping we would be a player in free agency I could see this offseason being a serious let down.

The question is, if we aren't able to even sign a second tier free agent what should we do? Bring back Bass, Jerebko and run it back from last year plus the draft picks? Sign guys who are role players to further bolster our rotation (guys like Koufos and Brewer). Or strip the team of anyone who might not be in the future and just give the young guys time to develop?

What say you?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: What Happens If We Can't Sign A Quality Free Agent
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Early on it seems like the C's aren't even able to get meetings with players that would be an upgrade to our starting lineup.

After first hoping we traded up in the draft, and then hoping we would be a player in free agency I could see this offseason being a serious let down.

The question is, if we aren't able to even sign a second tier free agent what should we do? Bring back Bass, Jerebko and run it back from last year plus the draft picks? Sign guys who are role players to further bolster our rotation (guys like Koufos and Brewer). Or strip the team of anyone who might not be in the future and just give the young guys time to develop?

What say you?

At this point it's hard not to get on board with "stripping the team of anyone who might not be in the future and just give the young guys time to develop."

Great words from a great man

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
My first option is to tear it down and rebuild through high draft picks.

Since Ainge will not do that, my guess is bringing guys back and/or making subtle adjustments to the lineup (a 2nd useful center alongside Zeller would be nice) is about as much as we can hope for if Ainge misses out on top FAs.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:10:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Worst part about this is if Ainge misses out this year, we are even more unlikely to be a threat in next year's FA because so many more teams will have money to spend and will be offering better situations (surrounding talent) than Boston is so the likelihood of anyone choosing Boston then is even lower again than it is this summer.

Missing out on top FAs this summer is a major blow.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 10:13:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Try to take advantage of other teams needing to shed salary.  Shuffle around some of the roster excess to get a rotation that makes more sense.

Look to get even younger and brace for another development year.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Since Ainge will not do that, my guess is bringing guys back and/or making subtle adjustments to the lineup (a 2nd useful center alongside Zeller would be nice) is about as much as we can hope for if Ainge misses out on top FAs.
I'm fine with the tear down option as long as it leads to us only playing young players. We would probably need to deal Isaiah to get a quality draft pick though.

My preferred route was improving through free agency, making sure we are better than the Nets and rebuilding that way. Although, if we can't add anyone we might be worse than the Nets, so why not just go all youth ourselves (the only worry is that Stevens would bolt if we had another down year).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Small tinkering to the roster and have yourself another bridge year (which I think was going to be the reality all along).  See if you can make something happen at the trade deadline. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 10:21:58 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I'm fine with the tear down option as long as it leads to us only playing young players. We would probably need to deal Isaiah to get a quality draft pick though.

My preferred route was improving through free agency, making sure we are better than the Nets and rebuilding that way. Although, if we can't add anyone we might be worse than the Nets, so why not just go all youth ourselves (the only worry is that Stevens would bolt if we had another down year).

Good points. Catch-22 re: IT and Brad. I would prefer the tear-down too, but since that's not going to happen, I'm thinking the next few years will be even worse than expected. Rough being so pessimistic, but...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Perhaps, we could stash Stevens in Europe for a year?   :)

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'm not interested in aiming for the middle again and hoping for Dallas or Brooklyn to implode, or Minnesota to improve by 20 wins.

If the Celts can't engineer a 50+ win season this season, let's do some "pruning," i.e. take a few steps back to allow for greater future growth. 

We need another top 10 pick, and I don't want to pin my hopes on us trading up into the top 10 from the middle of the 1st round again.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Try to take advantage of other teams needing to shed salary. 

This.  Golden State (Lee), New Jersey (Johnson) and Miami (Chalmers, McBob, etc) are all teams that may give up pick a two if someone helps them shed some salary.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Try to take advantage of other teams needing to shed salary. 

This.  Golden State (Lee), New Jersey (Johnson) and Miami (Chalmers, McBob, etc) are all teams that may give up pick a two if someone helps them shed some salary.

I would prefer not to go after Lee just because I'm not sure what value Golden State really has to offer (a pick that's gonna end up in the 25-30 range?  meh), and David Lee will want to play.

The Lakers have contracts they need to shed, too.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
if we cannot sign a quality free agent - maybe save up money for next year's FA class

in the mean time, probably trade away more players (besides Smart) and lose a few more games? idk

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The Knicks could end up being in an awkward position.  They want to win now, but won't have the talent.  Meanwhile Porzingis is a few years away and win't help much until Melo is in decline. 

I wonder if they would be willing to trade him if this offseason does not work out for them.  Something like Sully/Olynyk, Bradley, and IT for him.  Celtics take a step back while the Knicks improve now.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
You'll see a similar team back next year. The C's aren't going to dump players for sake of getting worse. The East is too weak and the roster/coach are too good. Unless a trade comes along this is it.