Author Topic: College Corruption Case Poised to Take Hall of Fame Coaches, Top Programs, etc.  (Read 14445 times)

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-college-hoops-corruption-case-poised-take-hall-fame-coaches-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html

The world of college basketball is about to be ROCKED.

There are so many possible implications... do more top HS players go oversees instead of college?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If some reporter can get a hold of all this info and get it out in the public soon, the NCAA tournament is screwed.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
The hypocrisy that is the NCAA is about to be exposed it sounds like.  March Madness baby...get those brackets ready...

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Sounds like the FBI doesn’t have intentions to release the info any time soon. Also, does anyone really care? Is it cheating if everyone’s doing it? I for one was never under the illusion that these kids were true student athletes.

I played college sports (hardo) and can tell you that no one is more excited to see the NCAA crumble than I. It’s unpaid labor. The textbooks have a word for unpaid labor. I’ll let you figure that one out!

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
It got serious implications for corporate sponsorship of the tournament and NCAA in general. The way companies try to protect their brands these days no one's going to want to associate itself with an organization that the public thinks (or better yet, finally realizes) is corrupt.

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
It got serious implications for corporate sponsorship of the tournament and NCAA in general. The way companies try to protect their brands these days no one's going to want to associate itself with an organization that the public thinks (or better yet, finally realizes) is corrupt.

You mean like the NFL? March Madness is a cultural moment for millions of people, I think the advertisers will stay put.

I hope you’re right though.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Sounds like the FBI doesn’t have intentions to release the info any time soon. Also, does anyone really care? Is it cheating if everyone’s doing it? I for one was never under the illusion that these kids were true student athletes.

I played college sports (hardo) and can tell you that no one is more excited to see the NCAA crumble than I. It’s unpaid labor. The textbooks have a word for unpaid labor. I’ll let you figure that one out!

Is it unpaid if you get an athletic scholarship though?

When does it stop being fun and become labor? Should high school students get paid too? College athletes will always be amateurs.

I understand the universities make tons and tons of money off these athletes, but the programs fund the schools many programs (and of course fatttt salaries to the coaches and AD’s). But if you start paying student athletes, you are going to open up a whole new world of corruption.

Do ALL athletes get paid the same? Are their tiers? Experience? Can they have agents?

I agree the NCAA is horrible and needs a compete overhaul, it’s just going to take a lot of time. I’m ready to see this unfold though.
CELTICS 2024

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Good. Maybe the NBA will start investing in a legitimate minor league. College basketball has been a racket sponging off these players for over 30 years.

Bye!
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

When does it stop being fun and become labor? Should high school students get paid too? College athletes will always be amateurs.

I understand the universities make tons and tons of money off these athletes, but the programs fund the schools many programs (and of course fatttt salaries to the coaches and AD’s). But if you start paying student athletes, you are going to open up a whole new world of corruption.

Do ALL athletes get paid the same? Are their tiers? Experience? Can they have agents?

I agree the NCAA is horrible and needs a compete overhaul, it’s just going to take a lot of time. I’m ready to see this unfold though.

That’s pretty much how I feel as well. Paying players is super murky, though I do understand both sides of the argument.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Honestly as long as the cheating isn't on the court (fixing an actual game) it has no effect on me or any other fan. NCAA basketball is big business and university and coaches benefit from having elite programs. In order to have an elite program you need to have elite players. This can create an ugly behind the scene world that we are more often getting a glimpse of.

I hope we some day have a true basketball developmental league and clean college basketball as entertaining as the current NCAA is it can never be either of those things.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I hope this collapses college basketball. I'm heavily invested in the Big Baller Jr League or whatever my business partner Lavar is calling it. We going to speak this league into existence and take down the NCAA with those same words :D
ok fine

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
NCAA could have gradually made changes to prevent this. But they maintained a foolish premise for years that led everyone involved to bend/break the rules. It's a poor game design when all participants are required to cheat. Just change the rules and you can accomplish the same without the violations.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I hope the whole things burns down.  Honestly.  The NCAA is a corrupt racket.

They should pay the kids or lose all the $$ they bring in that doesn't get used for student scholarships, campus improvements, etc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

What's the ratio between the value provided to the students and the value provided to the NCAA / schools?  How much money are they generating?

If the answer is "lopsided," isn't that an artificial market condition created to greatly advantage the owners and greatly disadvantage the laborers in this scenario?  It's not "slavery" -- the word the previous poster was alluding to -- but isn't it similar to indentured servitude?

How many of these "student athletes" graduate?  How many of them end up with gainful employment as a result of the great education they're getting?

How many of these "student athletes" would ever go to college at all if it weren't for this arrangement that requires them to do so for a year or two in order to pursue their actual career aspiration, i.e. professional sports?

At the very least the elite tier schools that enjoy the benefits of having these star amateur athletes wearing their uniforms should be required to create a separate school & program for students that intend to go into sports as a career.  There should be a system created for allowing the students to go on learning and working toward their degrees even after they go pro and stop playing for the school.  And there should be a penalty paid by the school for any scholarship athlete that doesn't end up earning their degree.

Oh, and the schools should be required to provide medical coverage for any and all injuries sustained during the course of playing sports for the benefit of the schools.  Including cumulative injuries that are only discovered later.  That medical coverage should last for life, and the schools should be required to pay compensation to the students for any lasting disability resulting from injuries the students sustain.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The problem with college athletics and the pay structure, is there are so many significant differences between the future earning potential of players, schools, etc. that it is hard to find a stead fast rule.  Even on the super elite basketball programs, generally less than half of the athletes will play professionally.  Very few athletic programs even make money.  Sure the football and basketball programs at the top level schools make gobs of money, but most college sports lose significant money and as a result most athletic programs lose money. 

Here is an article from December 2014, in which a US Representative said only 20 FBS programs made money  http://www.politifact.com/virginia/statements/2014/dec/22/jim-moran/moran-says-only-20-colleges-make-profit-sports/.  Politfact said that was a true statement.  On average, football netted 3 million, men's basketball netted 340k and every other sport lost money, and most lost significant amounts, such that the average for the 120 or so schools was a loss of 11.6 million dollars per year by their athletic departments. 

So with rules like Title IX and other equality rules, how exactly do you pay football and basketball players, but not pay women's volleyball, or ice hockey, or soccer, or track and field, etc.  You just can't do it.   

The only logical solution is to make it so the top of the line players aren't in college.  Let them go to a minor or developmental league, or you know the top league right away. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip