Author Topic: Who's the leader  (Read 2029 times)

Re: Who's the leader
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 04:45:35 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
"bunch of punks."

I don't dispute the seeming dearth of effective leadership on this team.  Chemistry is not where it should be, role knowledge and role acceptance not where it needs to be, lack of leadership -- all probably true.

But, I actually don't see a single player on the team as  a "punk".   All seem like pretty decent people to me.   Lack an effective leader, but not a bunch of punks.   This may not be their year -- but there are lots of guys on this team who I hope will be here when they do get it together.     

Punk was a bit much, maybe pansies. Sissies.

They are good group of players and good team players, but they just do not mesh for various reasons.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
You got to remember that Pierce, Garnett, and Allen were all in their early to mid-30s when they won the championship.

Smart is 24. Irving is 27. Tatum is 20. Brown is 21. Hayward is 28.

Baynes and Horford are the oldest guys on the team, but they would be younger than the Big 3 were when they won their championship.

Players need time to develop their sills, and young men need time to learn to lead.

None of them were in mid 30's, Pierce I think was just turning 30 , so he may have been 29, Ray probably oldest at 32, and Garnett at 31, sure early 30's/

But, That's a good point. Although it just states the fact. It proves what many were thinking about this group. Too young, ready to get another contract, ready to prove. Although you would think Irving who has played with a leader and has won a ring and won big games and been through multiple playoff runs would be able to do this.

In their first season, Garnett was 31, Pierce was 30, Allen was 32. But they played for the Cs for 6 years in this phase, and contended for 3-4. That's mid-30s.

Aww revisionist history. They'd still be 3 of the 5 oldest players on the Cs this year. Age matters.

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
It's easy to blame Stevens for 'losing,' the locker room, but then again this is Marcus Morris saying this... He may be a competitor, but he is the last person you should be listening to in terms of locker room coverage. He genuinely seems like a nice guy who'll fight for his teammates, but his 50/50 up and down defense leaves much to be desired.

Who's the leader? That is a truly good question. Kyrie isn't, he's our alpha scorer. Horford/Smart are leaders by committee, but the problem is you have young and veteran players who want the spotlight. Maybe some of them got spoiled by how much recognition the team received last year, and the huge aspirations and high hopes. But maybe we need to realize that even though this team is generally the same as last year, chemistry in fitting everyone especially Rozier and Morris, (vying for contracts,) was a huge question mark.

I, too, believe Stevens need to get the locker room together, but we cannot just depend on him alone. Players need to swallow their egos and be willing to make sacrifices. I also didn't like Morris starting. I was only okay because he was shooting so hot, but now that he's fallen back down to earth, I'm okay with taking him back to the 2nd unit.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
You got to remember that Pierce, Garnett, and Allen were all in their early to mid-30s when they won the championship.

Baynes and Horford are the oldest guys on the team, but they would be younger than the Big 3 were when they won their championship.

Players need time to develop their sills, and young men need time to learn to lead.

None of them were in mid 30's, Pierce I think was just turning 30 , so he may have been 29, Ray probably oldest at 32, and Garnett at 31, sure early 30's/

But, That's a good point. Although it just states the fact. It proves what many were thinking about this group. Too young, ready to get another contract, ready to prove. Although you would think Irving who has played with a leader and has won a ring and won big games and been through multiple playoff runs would be able to do this.

In their first season, Garnett was 31, Pierce was 30, Allen was 32. But they played for the Cs for 6 years in this phase, and contended for 3-4. That's mid-30s.

Aww revisionist history. They'd still be 3 of the 5 oldest players on the Cs this year. Age matters.

Dude, what are you talking about, you clearly said "they won the championship....etc."

They were all early 30's or just turning/turned 30.

They were leaders before they got together.

Kyrie was never one.

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 05:07:15 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Dude, what are you talking about, you clearly said "they won the championship....etc."

Kyrie was never one.

Kyrie is 3-5 years younger than any of them were in their first season. Age matters.

Pierce wasn't necessarily a leader yet. Allen and Garnett were leaders by example, but their teams faced a variety of inner turmoil too. They just faced those things before the Twitter age.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
There were plenty of people who wanted to run Pierce out of town after the '05 playoffs.  Let's not pretend he was some sort of boy scout before KG & Ray arrived.   

He had questionably leadership skills up until '07-08.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 05:14:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kyrie was never one.
I bolded what he posted so you’ll stop misquoting him. He said early to mid 30’s and you’re jumping down his throat
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Who is the team captain

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 05:20:16 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Who is the team captain

" WHO" is also on our blog alot !

:)

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Who is the team captain

They haven't had one since Rondo.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Who is the team captain

Therein lies yoyr problem...yoy cant go to compete without a leader. When tge team vores or appoints a captain ir is tbe first step to conferring duties and obligations. The team needs a captain and nor just ceremonial either.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 05:50:29 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Who is the team captain

And that didn't work out so well...

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 05:50:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Therein lies yoyr problem...yoy cant go to compete without a leader.

I think this is true of teams that do not have veterans, with a old/young team like us, I think the problem is more of different goals for the young guys than the old guys.   I think that is the root of our problem.

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 06:16:54 PM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Maybe Smart once he’s a little older and is also the longest tenured Celtic. He’s got the attitude for it and shows it by example.  Until then this is normal for a group of young guys.  You don’t improve until you run into problems, overcome them, and learn from them.  The sky is not falling and we should move on.