Author Topic: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy  (Read 6629 times)

Re: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
this is a great album.  i like kanye's music, but think he is a DB.

the album everyone should pick up is black milk's "album of the year".  the title is spot on!

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »

Offline Bhudda

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
this is a great album.  i like kanye's music, but think he is a DB.

the album everyone should pick up is black milk's "album of the year".  the title is spot on!

Yup.  That album is appropriately titled.  The Roots-How I got over is another great one.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 04:31:53 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Whaaaat?  "Classic"  "Genius at work"    Ya right.

This album's solid. It's got good production.  It's a slightly different look than what's out there as far as mainstream hip hop goes.  The only thing that really stands out to me are they ways the songs are composed.  Kanye did a nice job putting the songs together.

But i was really unimpressed with his rapping ability on the album.  I haven't heard a single verse where he actually rips it.  On top of that, his singing voice is really not very good whatsoever.  But worst of all, this dude Kanye takes himself waaaaay to seriously.

How you could listen to this album and get the sense that Kanye takes himself or his music too seriously is difficult for me to fathom.

One of the great things about the album is how silly and off the wall it is at times...I don't think Kanye is actually insane enough to produce an album like this 100% in earnest.

It's really difficult for you to fathom?  Take a listen to his 1st 3 albums ad then listen to his last 2 again.   They're worlds apart.  And I understand he's evolving as a person and an artist.  I'm not mad at him or anything.  But I'm not going to get excited about an album from a rapper who has turned into exactly what I hoped he wouldn't -- and whose album reflects it. 

It's kinda like when Lebron first came into the league.  I really liked him.  Really liked his potential.  But somewhere in the back of my mind I knew his ego would blow out of control and he would become the next Kobe (or Jay-z).  And the truth is, it happened.

IMO Kanye is at his best when he is silly and off the wall.  This album is a step in the right direction from his last one.  But he needs to stop trying to change the face of hip hop and know his role.

Gotta give this a /co sign

I almost agree 100%
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
There's a lot of mud slinging 808 & Heartbreaks way, which I thought was pretty amazing with a few track exceptions.

This album's solid. It's got good production.  It's a slightly different look than what's out there as far as mainstream hip hop goes.  The only thing that really stands out to me are they ways the songs are composed.  Kanye did a nice job putting the songs together.

But i was really unimpressed with his rapping ability on the album.  I haven't heard a single verse where he actually rips it.  On top of that, his singing voice is really not very good whatsoever.  But worst of all, this dude Kanye takes himself waaaaay to seriously.

How you could listen to this album and get the sense that Kanye takes himself or his music too seriously is difficult for me to fathom.

One of the great things about the album is how silly and off the wall it is at times...I don't think Kanye is actually insane enough to produce an album like this 100% in earnest.

It's really difficult for you to fathom?  Take a listen to his 1st 3 albums ad then listen to his last 2 again.   They're worlds apart.  And I understand he's evolving as a person and an artist.  I'm not mad at him or anything.  But I'm not going to get excited about an album from a rapper who has turned into exactly what I hoped he wouldn't -- and whose album reflects it. 

It's kinda like when Lebron first came into the league.  I really liked him.  Really liked his potential.  But somewhere in the back of my mind I knew his ego would blow out of control and he would become the next Kobe (or Jay-z).  And the truth is, it happened.

IMO Kanye is at his best when he is silly and off the wall.  This album is a step in the right direction from his last one.  But he needs to stop trying to change the face of hip hop and know his role.

I don't get that statement. I would hope that every artist tries to come with something new, fresh, and innovative every album. I think Kanye has done plenty in terms of changing the face of hip-hop. I think Dark Fantasy is cool, but right now I'm loving the Blame Game which in my opinion is amazing (skit is hilarious too).

...But seriously, I hope you don't say stuff like "Stop trying to change stuff" or "know your role" to your kids.  ;)

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 02:04:19 PM »

Offline Bhudda

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
There's a lot of mud slinging 808 & Heartbreaks way, which I thought was pretty amazing with a few track exceptions.

I don't get that statement. I would hope that every artist tries to come with something new, fresh, and innovative every album. I think Kanye has done plenty in terms of changing the face of hip-hop. I think Dark Fantasy is cool, but right now I'm loving the Blame Game which in my opinion is amazing (skit is hilarious too).

...But seriously, I hope you don't say stuff like "Stop trying to change stuff" or "know your role" to your kids.  ;)

Hahaha i do not have kids.   But when I do I hope I don't say things like that to them either.

And listen, I'm all for artists bringing something new and fresh to the table.  A guy like Lupe does that with almost every track he puts out.  But Lupe and Kanye, while I like both artists and listen to their music, and will continue to do so, are opposite ends of the spectrum IMO.   

In terms of talent Lupe > Kanye by a good deal IMO.  But Lupe doesn't let his ego get in the way.  Kanye has let his ego completely take over -- and I think that was a conscious decision on his part.  I personally just dont like the way it has affected his music.

I guess I just wish Kanye would go back to what made me love him in the first place rather than trying to be "the voice of the generation"

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »

Offline jimmywolfrey

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
At next years Grammys...he will win album of the year ..no doubt.... and probably 4-5+ grammys...It is a masterpiece ESPECIALLY in the hiphop world... When you dominate an album like that in any genre..you will get recognized.

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 11:28:21 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I love Kanye the musical artist. I think he's one of the few artists in any genre where I really see growth in his music. Other bands and rappers just keep coming out with the same crap every album so I really enjoyed his new album, as I enjoy every one of his albums. His beats are some of he craziest and best I've ever heard.

As for his ****ness... well, all rappers are at least somewhat ****-ey. I mean, most rap is self promotion anyways. Kanye has a large ego and I kind of respect that. It's seems to be working for him in any case.

And lastly, regardless of hating him or loving him, you can't doubt the fact that the man has influenced popular culture in tremendous ways. Shutter shades are in every sunglasses store I've been in. He's on the top 100 most influential people's list for a reason.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Excellently composed songs, but I find that the lyrics mostly just go in one ear and out the other. Have been listening to it a lot this week, though I actually got it in December when it was really cheap on Amazon.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 12:25:39 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Somehow I never saw this thread?

Kanye is one of my top 5 favorite artists, not saying he is in the top 5 lyrically or anything, I just enjoy his music and find it entertaining.

With that being said... the production is one of the best I've ever heard, it's a completely new style. The lyrical content is good at times and poor at times but like someone said before, that is just picking nits in all honesty. I have popped the CD into my CD player in my car at least once each week since I purchased it (I pre-ordered it about a month before it came out so I've had it since the day it was released), with the exception of the first three weeks in which it stayed in my CD player and was not removed at all. I can listen to the album from beginning to end without skipping tracks or parts of songs. The entertainment value is amazing. I'm not sure if it's my favorite Kanye CD... again he's in my top 5 so I really enjoy all of his work. I have never disliked a Kanye song and that includes everything on 808s. He's an emotional dude who makes good emotional music. 808s was exactly that, it just wasn't rap.