Poll

POLL: If we could get Josh Smith on the cheap, would you trade for him if you were Ainge?

Yes
25 (32.5%)
No
52 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: POLL: Josh Smith benched by Van Gundy: do we want him?  (Read 21613 times)

Re: POLL: Josh Smith benched by Van Gundy: do we want him?
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2014, 04:31:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not interested in him.  Inefficient, a talent tease and oft ineffective player.

« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm not as down on Smith as a lot of people are, but I'd feel a lot better about him here if Oly/Sully were capable of being full-time centers.  Smith's lack of outside shooting is best complemented by a C with legit range, and we just have 4s with range who do pretty bad C impersonations.

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Are those opposed to Smith also opposed to retaining Rondo and Green? If so then I understand not wanting Smith. If you want Rondo and Green you have to consider this. How else can we get talent this good and cheap via trade that is under control? No team is trading a top ten player. Smith is likely the best talent for the cheapest price in trade and contract $ available. If you want to keep Rondo and Green it will cost you at least 26 million in the cap. Aside of them there is 35 million in other roster players for next year without the pick cost. If we retain Rondo and Green there will be no cap to sign a impact FA. Pulling trigger on this is about keeping Rondo and Green for me.
This is not baseball. Getting superior talent is infinitely more important than getting someone "good and cheap ... that is under control".
I completely disagree with all of that. Baseball has a soft cap and can spend as much as they can afford they should always go for elite talents as much as budget allows. Basketball has a signing cap we have to work with-in the cap system to acquire talent.
Basketball also has a soft cap, for what it's worth.

The problem is that contract negotiation in baseball allows you to pay chump change to top players pretty much throughout their prime, which results in the necessity to massively overpay for their years of decline. Between the management of options, arbitration eligibility and the need to maintain a massive roster, team control is much more important.

By contract, how good your best player in basketball is massively more important for the outcome of every single game.  Not only is he likely on the floor for ~80% of playing time every game, but he's also one of just five guys on the floor. Sure, it's always better to pay less rather than more, but a team with 5 Jeff Greens will probably be worse than a team with 1 LeBron James about 99% of the time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2014, 04:45:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Are those opposed to Smith also opposed to retaining Rondo and Green? If so then I understand not wanting Smith. If you want Rondo and Green you have to consider this. How else can we get talent this good and cheap via trade that is under control? No team is trading a top ten player. Smith is likely the best talent for the cheapest price in trade and contract $ available. If you want to keep Rondo and Green it will cost you at least 26 million in the cap. Aside of them there is 35 million in other roster players for next year without the pick cost. If we retain Rondo and Green there will be no cap to sign a impact FA. Pulling trigger on this is about keeping Rondo and Green for me.
This is not baseball. Getting superior talent is infinitely more important than getting someone "good and cheap ... that is under control".
I completely disagree with all of that. Baseball has a soft cap and can spend as much as they can afford they should always go for elite talents as much as budget allows. Basketball has a signing cap we have to work with-in the cap system to acquire talent.
Basketball also has a soft cap, for what it's worth.

The problem is that contract negotiation in baseball allows you to pay chump change to top players pretty much throughout their prime, which results in the necessity to massively overpay for their years of decline. Between the management of options, arbitration eligibility and the need to maintain a massive roster, team control is much more important.

By contract, how good your best player in basketball is massively more important for the outcome of every single game.  Not only is he likely on the floor for ~80% of playing time every game, but he's also one of just five guys on the floor. Sure, it's always better to pay less rather than more, but a team with 5 Jeff Greens will probably be worse than a team with 1 LeBron James about 99% of the time.

Still you can not acquire the talent the same way. The sports are completely different. I'd love a top player but if we are keeping Rondo and Green it's not going to happen via FA because of cap. And again no one is trading top 10 talent in the foreseeable future. This is a way to get good talent buying low. 

« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
No team should give up a first for Josh Smith.  Any team should be asking for at least one first as compensation for taking on his contract.
Not when you shipping out Gerald Wallace's (almost) equally horrible contract. That first is the only real consideration offered.

I'd be more curious whether something can be worked around Wallace + Bass.

I'd rather keep Wallace/Bass.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2014, 04:49:50 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
No team should give up a first for Josh Smith.  Any team should be asking for at least one first as compensation for taking on his contract.
Not when you shipping out Gerald Wallace's (almost) equally horrible contract. That first is the only real consideration offered.

I agree.

In the OP, I suggested GWall, Bass and a weak pick. Given how badly things have devolved for the Pistons since then, we'd be doing them a $13 million dollar favor with that deal and solving internal issues with the team by removing someone detrimental to their team chemistry.

I would now want KCP included in the trade.

New trade proposal: GWall, Bass, weak pick for Smith and KCP.

KCP is far better than a weak pick and will be the price they have to pay for us taking Smith and saving the $13 mil.

« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Still you can not acquire the talent the same way. The sports are completely different. I'd love a top player but if we are keeping Rondo and Green it's not going to happen via FA because of cap. And again no one is trading top 10 talent in the foreseeable future. This is a way to get good talent buying low.
Ainge will let go and/or trade anyone if that'd net him a top player. Clogging your roster with "decent" players that are "under team control" (a.k.a. are eating cap space for years and years with no easy way out for the team) is a serious recipe for disaster.

And the main reason why "under team control" means something in baseball and not so much in basketball is because arbitration eligibility actually allows you the OPTION to retain a player at some sort of reasonable cost, instead of saddling your payroll with a non-voidable obligation.

I'd love the option to have Rondo, Green, and Smith on a year-to-year basis at league-mediated salary levels for 6 years, but sadly that's not how the NBA works.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Ainge will let go and/or trade anyone if that'd net him a top player. Clogging your roster with "decent" players that are "under team control" (a.k.a. are eating cap space for years and years with no easy way out for the team) is a serious recipe for disaster.

And the main reason why "under team control" means something in baseball and not so much in basketball is because arbitration eligibility actually allows you the OPTION to retain a player at some sort of reasonable cost, instead of saddling your payroll with a non-voidable obligation.

I'd love the option to have Rondo, Green, and Smith on a year-to-year basis at league-mediated salary levels for 6 years, but sadly that's not how the NBA works.

It is not Clogging. Smith a better chip than Wallace, Fav and a low first. Only one more year on books than Wallace and Fav. And in a year C's would increase his stock. At which time he will be a good trade asset for DA if a top 10 guy does come on the block.

« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

It is not Clogging. Smith a better chip than Wallace, Fav and a low first. Only one more year on books than Wallace and Fav. And in a year C's would increase his stock. At which time he will be a good trade asset for DA if a top 10 guy does come on the block.
Smith basically has NO basketball value at this point.  He's measured only by the negative value of his contract.  Detroit will definitely have to bundle assets to get rid of him.  I wouldn't call him a "chip" at all.

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I wouldn't want him unless I was looking at a bench role and had a savvy, strong veteran team.  He has some talent but it needs to be harnessed.  Play D and board, and take only what's given to you close to the basket. 

« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:52 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Why?
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2014, 09:58:55 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
For free? Maybe.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
NO

Please NO

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2014, 11:55:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Why?

Because I don't want Smith at all.  Wallace/Bass for Smith and two firsts, I'd consider.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2014, 12:13:33 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Why?

Because I don't want Smith at all.  Wallace/Bass for Smith and two firsts, I'd consider.

What about KCP with Smith. He's a first.