Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 34611 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #345 on: December 09, 2022, 05:05:41 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
You have to appreciate the quality of both teams. There's a grit to Argentina's game that is so impressive.

The match was a coin flip.  Not a fan of having a defender take the first PK, though.  You go with your best - as Argentina did.

« Reply #346 on: December 09, 2022, 05:07:32 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
You have to appreciate the quality of both teams. There's a grit to Argentina's game that is so impressive.

The match was a coin flip.  Not a fan of having a defender take the first PK, though.  You go with your best - as Argentina did.

I guess as captain he felt he had to set the example
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #347 on: December 09, 2022, 05:12:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He sure did for the next guy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2022, 05:20:37 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

He sure did for the next guy

Van Dijk is a superstar that John Henry actually paid, lol

« Reply #349 on: December 09, 2022, 06:18:31 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really a fan of having World Cup games decided by PKs.

In the NHL regular season, tied games go to OT, then if still tied, to a shootout (penalty shots). But in the playoffs, they just keep playing until someone scores—no shootouts. Which I think makes sense, because regular-season games you just want to get through, but playoff games are obviously more meaningful, so they have an "actual" ending, as opposed to the sort of (IMO) "artificial" ending of the shootout.

I'd kinda like to see World Cup games switch from PKs to sudden-death OT. I think that would be a more organic way to end games.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #350 on: December 09, 2022, 09:03:18 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really a fan of having World Cup games decided by PKs.

In the NHL regular season, tied games go to OT, then if still tied, to a shootout (penalty shots). But in the playoffs, they just keep playing until someone scores—no shootouts. Which I think makes sense, because regular-season games you just want to get through, but playoff games are obviously more meaningful, so they have an "actual" ending, as opposed to the sort of (IMO) "artificial" ending of the shootout.

I'd kinda like to see World Cup games switch from PKs to sudden-death OT. I think that would be a more organic way to end games.

I think most people have criticized PKs at one time or another. FIFA used the golden goal to replace PKs in 1998 (it had been introduced in 1993 but was not compulsory) because of the criticism around PKs, and because they wanted more attacking football during extra time, rather than teams just playing defensively and rolling with the penalty shootout. David Trezeguet scored the golden goal that gave France the European Championship win over Italy in 2000. But FIFA removed it in 2002 because instead of leading to more attacking play, it had the opposite effect of teams parking the bus Mourinho style and hoping for a mistake from the other team, and players universally disliked it (apparently). Even NCAA soccer removed it this year.

Things could be worse - before 1970 they would either replay the games or use a coin toss to determine who won  :angel:

« Reply #351 on: December 09, 2022, 10:07:00 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
U.S. Soccer confirms journalist Grant Wahl has died while at the World Cup

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1601407358558560257?s=46&t=8N7OQj9JxJaC-oAe_YjjOg

Wrote this story the other day. Next day he’s dead.

https://grantwahl.substack.com/p/world-cup-daily-day-25

« Reply #352 on: December 09, 2022, 11:18:51 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
His brother was on Instagram tonight saying he was murdered. Crazy stuff. Grant was one of the best journalists in the sport - a huge loss for the American soccer scene.  48 and supposedly in good health too.

« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2022, 11:20:34 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
U.S. Soccer confirms journalist Grant Wahl has died while at the World Cup

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1601407358558560257?s=46&t=8N7OQj9JxJaC-oAe_YjjOg

Wrote this story the other day. Next day he’s dead.

https://grantwahl.substack.com/p/world-cup-daily-day-25

OMG that's terrible news. I saw him on Fox being interviewed just last week.  :(

How could he be murdered? In Qatar? Supposed to be one of the safest cities in the world.

« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2022, 11:22:05 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
His brother was on Instagram tonight saying he was murdered. Crazy stuff. Grant was one of the best journalists in the sport - a huge loss for the American soccer scene.  48 and supposedly in good health too.

This is what ESPN is saying. Nothing about being murdered.

U.S. media seated near him said Wahl fell back in his seat in the press box at Lusail Iconic Stadium during extra time and reporters adjacent to him called for assistance. Emergency services workers responded very quickly, the reporters said, and the reporters later were told that Wahl had died.

Wahl was covering his eighth World Cup. He wrote Monday on his website that he had visited a medical clinic while in Qatar.

"My body finally broke down on me. Three weeks of little sleep, high stress and lots of work can do that to you,'' Wahl wrote. "What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort.

"I didn't have Covid (I test regularly here), but I went into the medical clinic at the main media center today, and they said I probably have bronchitis. They gave me a course of antibiotics and some heavy-duty cough syrup, and I'm already feeling a bit better just a few hours later. But still: No bueno.''

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/35221443/american-soccer-journalist-grant-wahl-dies-49-qatar

« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2022, 11:35:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2022, 11:48:54 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Here's a link to it.

https://twitter.com/Outkick/status/1601407154212044800?s=20&t=QIkNfpP2UMQs_idpcTPlJQ

I feel for his brother, I can't imagine losing a sibling so suddenly  :(

There will have to be an autopsy, I wonder what the results will show.

« Reply #357 on: December 10, 2022, 06:11:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I was surprised by Tite's tactics in this WC.

I expected to see his beloved 4-1-4-1 which offers control and great balance between attack and defense. A 4-3-3 type tactic.

Instead he went with the 4-2-3-1 and even more attacking than that with Neymar as the #10 who is more of a forward than an attacking midfielder and Paqueta as one of the two mids who is more of a #10 than a holding midfielder.

It reminded me of that Brazil team in 1970 where they played 5 #10s. You had Jairzinho and Rivelinho replicated by Vinicius Junior and Rafinha (not at his best this tourney). You had Neymar in the Pele role. You had Richarlison who is not a true #9 but more of a versatile forward like Tostao was. Then you had Paqueta in Gerson's role as a deep playmaker.

I thought Paqueta was a bit of weak link here. West Ham fans give out about his lack of defensive work rate as a #10 nevermind a holding midfielder. And he is more of an attacker than a conductor. Gerson moved back to central midfield and ran games from there. Paqueta could not do that. So Casemiro was left too much on his lonesome defensively and Paqueta did not provide enough in attack to make up for it. Great assist for Neymar yesterday aside.

I remember Tite experimenting with these type of tactics before with Luan in the #10 role as a connector type player. Where Neymar played. Someone to link things together in the final 3rd and allow the attackers to fully exhibit their skills. Neymar was on the left on those days cutting inside.

Tite has always been interested in getting that 4th attacker on the field to go even more in search of goals. In the belief of trading control for added goals. He went with that for this WC but it didn't pan out. That lack of control hurt them.

Croatia outmanned them in midfield and controlled large chunks of the game despite not creating much themselves. Their midfield trio of Brozovic, Kovacic and Modric were too much for Casemiro and Paqueta. Then Croatia sacrificed another attacker with their right wing in Palasic moving inside to make 4 CMs to outman Brazil's 2 CMs.

One of the things I liked when Neymar was hurt was seeing Tite's usual 4-1-4-1 although I thought Bruno Guimares should have played more in the tournament. I think he is their best CM after Casemiro and should have been on the pitch as much as possible. Tite went for Fred instead in those games. Pity.

I also thought Tite made a mistake in playing Anthony too much. Not enough end product. Not as good as their other attacking forwards Vinicius Junior, Rafinha, Rodrygo or Neymar. Until Anthony develops more end product he should not play much for Brazil.

I also thought bringing Pedro instead of Firmino was a mistake. Tite obviously wanted a true #1 as an alternative tactically but I thought Firmino as a link player and versatile forward was a better fit for the way Tite had his front 3/4 attackers playing. Is it better to have a Plan B or a better Plan A? I go Plan A with Firmino over Plan B with Pedro.

« Reply #358 on: December 10, 2022, 06:57:03 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
I was surprised by Tite's tactics in this WC.

I expected to see his beloved 4-1-4-1 which offers control and great balance between attack and defense. A 4-3-3 type tactic.

Instead he went with the 4-2-3-1 and even more attacking than that with Neymar as the #10 who is more of a forward than an attacking midfielder and Paqueta as one of the two mids who is more of a #10 than a holding midfielder.

It reminded me of that Brazil team in 1970 where they played 5 #10s. You had Jairzinho and Rivelinho replicated by Vinicius Junior and Rafinha (not at his best this tourney). You had Neymar in the Pele role. You had Richarlison who is not a true #9 but more of a versatile forward like Tostao was. Then you had Paqueta in Gerson's role as a deep playmaker.

I thought Paqueta was a bit of weak link here. West Ham fans give out about his lack of defensive work rate as a #10 nevermind a holding midfielder. And he is more of an attacker than a conductor. Gerson moved back to central midfield and ran games from there. Paqueta could not do that. So Casemiro was left too much on his lonesome defensively and Paqueta did not provide enough in attack to make up for it. Great assist for Neymar yesterday aside.

I remember Tite experimenting with these type of tactics before with Luan in the #10 role as a connector type player. Where Neymar played. Someone to link things together in the final 3rd and allow the attackers to fully exhibit their skills. Neymar was on the left on those days cutting inside.

Tite has always been interested in getting that 4th attacker on the field to go even more in search of goals. In the belief of trading control for added goals. He went with that for this WC but it didn't pan out. That lack of control hurt them.

Croatia outmanned them in midfield and controlled large chunks of the game despite not creating much themselves. Their midfield trio of Brozovic, Kovacic and Modric were too much for Casemiro and Paqueta. Then Croatia sacrificed another attacker with their right wing in Palasic moving inside to make 4 CMs to outman Brazil's 2 CMs.

One of the things I liked when Neymar was hurt was seeing Tite's usual 4-1-4-1 although I thought Bruno Guimares should have played more in the tournament. I think he is their best CM after Casemiro and should have been on the pitch as much as possible. Tite went for Fred instead in those games. Pity.

I also thought Tite made a mistake in playing Anthony too much. Not enough end product. Not as good as their other attacking forwards Vinicius Junior, Rafinha, Rodrygo or Neymar. Until Anthony develops more end product he should not play much for Brazil.

I also thought bringing Pedro instead of Firmino was a mistake. Tite obviously wanted a true #1 as an alternative tactically but I thought Firmino as a link player and versatile forward was a better fit for the way Tite had his front 3/4 attackers playing. Is it better to have a Plan B or a better Plan A? I go Plan A with Firmino over Plan B with Pedro.

Their midfield got swamped, couldn't provide enough service to the front four. Croatia's midfield of Modric, Kovacic and Brozovic is one of the, if not the, best in the tournament.

« Reply #359 on: December 10, 2022, 10:06:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Worried for Portugal today. Morocco will be tough.