Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 110334 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #945 on: December 02, 2022, 09:43:56 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
All the postgame comments from Mac, Henry, Bourne, etc. as well as Mac's outburst at the coaches on the sideline tell me everything I need to know, and also what I think everyone has already known for a while.

This team doesn't believe in the coaching staff and I'm sure a lot of them also HATE Patricia. And I don't blame them

Mac Jones has his limitations and is still developing, but my honest opinion? He's the least of my concern. I mean what is he supposed to do with this garbage coaching staff (Patricia, Judge), "weapons" of the likes of Agholor/Parker/Jonnu, Thornton who never plays, etc. and especially this O-Line which is atrocious. I can't imagine any QB can really succeed with what's surrounded around Mac as well as the coaching.

Sometimes Mac catches a snap, the tackles whiff and then the pass rush is already barring down into Mac within 1.5 seconds, and if Mac tries throwing it away it's likely intentional grounding (like we saw yesterday near our own endzone).

I bring up Tua and the Dolphins a lot because people had similar doubts about Tua even going into last offseason. And guess what. They have Waddle, traded for Tyreek, bought in Mike McDaniel who is a great HC it seems and also has implemented that "Shanahan offense" but with way more success than the Pats, and look at where they are (Tua looks good, offense is explosive, MIA's currently leading the AFC East, etc.)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #946 on: December 02, 2022, 09:49:53 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Terrible performance. Bills had some struggles lately, but the Pats sure made them look good. Receivers can’t get open, coaches can’t properly manage timeouts, and the defense gives up crucial big plays. Even the normally reliable Folk was off tonight.

I’m so tired of this team making no real progress, tired of Bill not having a real offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator, tired of the team having no big receiving threats, and tired of the crappy offensive line. They’re three years into a rebuild and the team still hasn’t hit a consistent upward trajectory.

Completely agree. Doesn’t Kraft have to step in at this point? Patricia and Judge need to go and an actual OC needs to be brought in. This means hitting the reset button again in the off-season and the players will need to learn a new offense. Bill should have to choose between being head coach or GM. He’s spreading himself too thin and it shows.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 10:08:13 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #947 on: December 02, 2022, 10:44:41 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don't think Bill Belichick is going anywhere until he breaks Don Shula's wins record, because it's too important to not only Bill but Robert Kraft as well. I'm okay with that. However, that doesn't mean Kraft shouldn't demand changes when this season is over.

Bill is 70 years old, and is probably more involved in day to day activities than ever before. Simply put, he needs to only be the head coach. Take away his responsibility of being the general manager, and actually hire one. And because of the limitations of the offensive and defensive coordinators, Bill is forced to help both sides and is stretching him too far. Have Bill calibrate with the new GM to hire a legitimate offensive coordinator and offensive line coach (who BTW, should never be the same person). Have one defensive coordinator. I know head coaches hire the coordinators, but Bill needs to be saved from himself of doing anymore favors for friends and just getting the best personnel for the job.

« Reply #948 on: December 02, 2022, 10:52:32 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Terrible performance. Bills had some struggles lately, but the Pats sure made them look good. Receivers can’t get open, coaches can’t properly manage timeouts, and the defense gives up crucial big plays. Even the normally reliable Folk was off tonight.

I’m so tired of this team making no real progress, tired of Bill not having a real offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator, tired of the team having no big receiving threats, and tired of the crappy offensive line. They’re three years into a rebuild and the team still hasn’t hit a consistent upward trajectory.

Completely agree. Doesn’t Kraft have to step in at this point? Patricia and Judge need to go and an actual OC needs to be brought in. This means hitting the reset button again in the off-season and the players will need to learn a new offense. Bill should have to choose between being head coach or GM. He’s spreading himself too thin and it shows.

An unpopular opinion here... but, it feels like some of you have forgotten that 3 years to rebuild a team isn't a long time.  You all know that.  Some of you were alive and aware prior to Brady.   We had some good teams in the 70's, a super bowl appearance in '86 and one in '97... but mostly building and rebuilding for decades....  12 NFL teams have never won a SB and 4 have never been to a SB.   

You aren't wrong about the coaching staff but this is what they committed to this season and frankly, they are a mediocre roster with a mediocre record.  Not sure what miracles a better coaching staff would have pulled off with the current offensive line or the cluster of good, not great, receivers.   Along with an obviously unseasoned QB.   6-6 sounds about right, if not over-achieving if you presume that the coaching staff is inadequate.

I'm glad that there is still a reason to watch this late in the season.  They aren't winning a Superbowl, but they may be in the playoff hunt till the last weeks of the season -- and that provides some interest.   Next year I do hope they make big changes to the coaching staff/assignments.  I also hope they continue what appears to be pretty decent drafting over the last couple of seasons.  And yes -- they need a seriously gifted receiver and an offensive line that can protect a quarterback.  Jones needs time - time for plays to develop, time to find receivers, and... generally, time to learn how to be an NFL QB. 

« Reply #949 on: December 02, 2022, 11:19:17 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I don't think Bill Belichick is going anywhere until he breaks Don Shula's wins record, because it's too important to not only Bill but Robert Kraft as well. I'm okay with that. However, that doesn't mean Kraft shouldn't demand changes when this season is over.

Bill is 70 years old, and is probably more involved in day to day activities than ever before. Simply put, he needs to only be the head coach. Take away his responsibility of being the general manager, and actually hire one. And because of the limitations of the offensive and defensive coordinators, Bill is forced to help both sides and is stretching him too far. Have Bill calibrate with the new GM to hire a legitimate offensive coordinator and offensive line coach (who BTW, should never be the same person). Have one defensive coordinator. I know head coaches hire the coordinators, but Bill needs to be saved from himself of doing anymore favors for friends and just getting the best personnel for the job.

Why would Kraft care about Bill reaching personal milestones when the team is underperforming and mediocre at best? Bob is in his 80’s, time is not on his side. He was very vocal before the season started that he wanted the Pats to be competitive in the post season again, starting this year.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #950 on: December 02, 2022, 11:25:51 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Bill Belichick is the worst GM in the league, but still the best coach. What he does with a roster devoid of talent is amazing. But his ego is hurting him when he drafts. Always wants to reach to find a diamond in the rough.

« Reply #951 on: December 02, 2022, 11:27:00 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Why would Kraft care about Bill reaching personal milestones when the team is underperforming and mediocre at best? Bob is in his 80’s, time is not on his side. He was very vocal before the season started that he wanted the Pats to be competitive in the post season again, starting this year.

Are they really underperforming by a lot?  I think the consensus when the season was starting was that this was probably 7-10 win team.  Best case scenario was a wild card berth. 

More likely than not, Belichick is going out on his terms barring some unforeseen situation. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #952 on: December 02, 2022, 11:49:48 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

I could be wrong, but I thought he said that he wanted Bill to get the record with the Patriots.

« Reply #953 on: December 02, 2022, 12:11:32 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Are they really underperforming by a lot?  I think the consensus when the season was starting was that this was probably 7-10 win team.  Best case scenario was a wild card berth. 

More likely than not, Belichick is going out on his terms barring some unforeseen situation.

To go from being an 11-7 team last year and making the playoffs to a team that will be lucky to finish the season with a .500 record is a pretty big step in the wrong direction, IMO. Player personnel is essentially the same as it was last year, so the struggles this year is mostly on the coaching staff.

« Reply #954 on: December 02, 2022, 12:15:43 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I agree with Orlovsky. If the Pats are going to bring back the same staff as next year (Patricia and Judge) and not formally get an OC, then Mac should ask for a trade

« Reply #955 on: December 02, 2022, 12:32:01 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
The play calling and timeout management before halftime was comically bad. I knew we wouldn't score there, and I laughed when the field goal came up short.

Again,  it reminds me a lot of the Philip Rivers-era Chargers.

Mac will be ruined soon without major changes to the staff and personnel. In particular we need a real GM.

« Reply #956 on: December 02, 2022, 12:32:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

To go from being an 11-7 team last year and making the playoffs to a team that will be lucky to finish the season with a .500 record is a pretty big step in the wrong direction, IMO. Player personnel is essentially the same as it was last year, so the struggles this year is mostly on the coaching staff.

The win/loss O/U was around 8.5 wins back in August.  Sports Illustrated had them going 9-8.   The luck of the scheduling draw had them as having one of the top 10 most difficult schedules heading into the season.   It certainly appeared there was going to be some regression heading into the season.   The Pats are pretty much in line where they were predicted to be.   In the eyes of the fans who have been spoiled the past two decades, there is underperformance but the season is pretty much unfolding the way most pundits were predicting it would go.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #957 on: December 02, 2022, 01:01:24 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
No one was expecting this team to contend for a title or even compete to win the division. The disappointment for me has to do with the incompetence with the coaching staff, especially offensively. I think it all starts with the offensive line and the decision to switch the tackle positions. Never mind the lack of direction with the play calling.

« Reply #958 on: December 05, 2022, 01:50:04 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Pats-Raiders flexed out of SNF next week (thank god, HATE night games and we've had so many lately). Game will be 4:05 on December 18. Commanders-Giants now SNF that week

« Reply #959 on: December 05, 2022, 02:18:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Pats-Raiders flexed out of SNF next week (thank god, HATE night games and we've had so many lately). Game will be 4:05 on December 18. Commanders-Giants now SNF that week

Think we would've had four straight night games since Thanksgiving. @Vikings, TNF vs Bills, @Cardinals and would've been SNF @LV.

Commanders-Giants a decent matchup. They got a tie yesterday.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)