Author Topic: Euro 2016  (Read 7593 times)

Re: Euro 2016
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 05:32:20 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
So, England Brexit the Euros, courtesy of Iceland.

My oh my, how bad is this going to be for English football?
The British teams brought some of the most uninspired football to these Euros starting with game 1. I'm amazed England made it this far, frankly.

I never pick England. Why did I pick England? It makes no sense!

Stop trying to be nice, Casperian!
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 06:09:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Those celebrations by Iceland were awesome. Those overhead claps in unison between the fans and the players. They were fantastic. Thunderous. 

Scary stuff = Gareth Southgate is the bookie's favourite to replace Roy Hodgson.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
So, England Brexit the Euros, courtesy of Iceland.

My oh my, how bad is this going to be for English football?
The British teams brought some of the most uninspired football to these Euros starting with game 1. I'm amazed England made it this far, frankly.

I never pick England. Why did I pick England? It makes no sense!

Stop trying to be nice, Casperian!

i was in england about a decade ago, and i recall having some conversations with the fans there about their national team.

i said i liked their chances because of their toughness and defense.

they laughed at me, lol. they are a beaten-down lot there.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 04:04:06 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Typical England of the 21st Century IMO. Make a pig's ear of getting out of the group stages and choke your way out of knock out stages in a way that one particular player can be made a scapegoat.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Well done Wales!

They are going to miss Ramsey in the semi-final though. He is a very under-rated part of that Wales team. I would have picked Wales to beat Portugal if Ramsey was playing. Not sure which team to pick now.

Happy to see Belgium lose. I do not like how they play. All that talent but do not play together.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 05:34:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Argh! I hate penalties.

I like Germany but I love Italian football so I am rooting for Italy here. C'mon Italy!

Update: Oh my goodness. That was nerve wracking. Lots of missed penalties followed by no misses. The tension before every kick was something else. Congrats to Germany.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:50:24 PM by Who »

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 05:51:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Thanks for the post.... I thought the game was tomorrow

GO GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Broke my heart to see Buffon crying.

Unbelieveable that Pelle and Zaza (for goodness sake he was brought on to kick) couldn't convert on their turns...

But I'm still proud of what we managed to do even though nobody believed in us. Forza Italia.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I'll be cheering for Wales and Gareth Bale today to knock off C.Ronaldo's Portugal team.

Although I fear that Aaron Ramsey is too large a loss for the Welsh.

Edit: Ah well. Not to be. Wales had a good run and should be proud of what they have accomplished here. Well done to Portugal as well. Impressive to see them back in the Final again. Just two years ago it looked like the clock was winding down on C.Ronaldo's international career but Portugal have put together a good side here.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:45:03 PM by Who »

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Hard to watch.

It'd be nice if the german team could at least stop whining about every little decision by the referee, especially since they're the ones who commit lots of little fouls or lean into their opponent to get a foul called.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 04:25:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Germans playing like Arsenal here in the 2nd half. Need to be more direct at times. Need to get into the box more often.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 04:29:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
You'd think the French would bring Kante on to reinforce that defense / midfield.

Edit: Ah, there he is. Payet off.

Edit Ohhh .... 2-0 France. Terrific play by Pogba to hold up the ball, beat the defender and put in a dangerous cross. Neuer gambled. Got a hand on it but not enough. Griezzman finishes. Oh on the replay, it looked like Giroud would beat the German to the header if Neuer left it. So good effort Neuer to stop that.

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 04:38:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I thought Germany really missed Lahm in this tournament.

Muller combined so well with Lahm down that right side. Germany lacked that in this tournament. Several times in the group games you would see Muller look to combine down that right flank but clearly had no understanding with the RB and would fail to take advantage quickly enough. Lots of other times when the play was switched and the RB would fail to give a delivery like Lahm can give. Lahm has been a big loss to Germany's attacking play.

In today's game, playing Muller as a striker didn't work out so well. He wasn't involved enough in the game. Reduced one of their best players to a marginal figure.