Author Topic: If This Team Doesn't Make It Past The First Round, What Should Ainge Do?  (Read 7330 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2955
  • On To Banner 18!
No, I'm not solely basing this off of the last three games and how they've been 1-2 in that stretch.

BUT, we're seeing teams finally triple team IT and as a result, the C's aren't scoring that well.

And even before the ASG, there was the thought that maybe Chicago, Indiana, maybe even Atlanta could beat BOS in a first round series (since we don't seem to match up too well with either, ATL especially).

We expect 2nd round or even ECF, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Last season we thought 2nd round, lost Bradley and got a bad match up unfortunately.

So if there's another first round exit, you think Ainge will continue the route (Draft Fultz/Ball/Jackson + sign a FA + Extend IT and Smart), or will he start to blow it up and look further ahead (Trade IT + Horford, another 3-5 years of "rebuilding" and developing only Smart/Brown/Zizic/2017BKNPICK/2018BKNPICK, etc.)?

Obviously playoffs are still a while away but it's an interesting discussion question. A lot also depends on how IT does in the playoffs, and what happens when other teams make him a non factor (who else steps up?).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Explore all options to improve the team, but maybe less emphasis on trying to add one final piece.

Of course, much depends on the exact circumstances of the first round loss.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Triple teaming someone implies 2 players wide open, right?
Banner 18 please 😍

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Explore all options to improve the team, but maybe less emphasis on trying to add one final piece.

Of course, much depends on the exact circumstances of the first round loss.

True. Plus Wyc says (correctly), this team is 2 stars away from legit contention.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Yep, but same thing happened in the playoffs last year.

NO ONE stepped up. Not KO, not Sully, even Turner and Smart each only showed up like 1-2 games that whole series only.

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

That's happening the last two weeks and we are watching the result of this.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

IT4 might be too selfish with the ball. Gotta learn to distribute it especially in those circumstances!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

IT4 might be too selfish with the ball. Gotta learn to distribute it especially in those circumstances!

Right, but what happens when no one else can make a shot despite that "great distribution". Then what?

That's what pretty much happens.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
No, I'm not solely basing this off of the last three games and how they've been 1-2 in that stretch.

BUT, we're seeing teams finally triple team IT and as a result, the C's aren't scoring that well.

And even before the ASG, there was the thought that maybe Chicago, Indiana, maybe even Atlanta could beat BOS in a first round series (since we don't seem to match up too well with either, ATL especially).

We expect 2nd round or even ECF, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

Last season we thought 2nd round, lost Bradley and got a bad match up unfortunately.

So if there's another first round exit, you think Ainge will continue the route (Draft Fultz/Ball/Jackson + sign a FA + Extend IT and Smart), or will he start to blow it up and look further ahead (another 3-5 years of "rebuilding" and developing only Smart/Brown/Zizic/2017BKNPICK/2018BKNPICK)?

Obviously playoffs are still a while away but it's an interesting discussion question. A lot also depends on how IT does in the playoffs, and what happens when other teams make him a non factor (who else steps up?).

1) Not scared of Raptors... Ross is an excellent and terrific two way player, who still has the potential to have a PG13 like ceiling. (He literally shoots and plays just like him...) So they lost a very young wing, who didn't surpass expectations, but is slowly and progressively becoming more and more better over time. I actually think he'll put up great numbers especially with the Magic. Raptors are 2nd in the NBA in offensive scoring, but they take way too many contested mid range shots, and even if they make them, their still considered one of the worst shots in the game. We'll see if they can stop choking in the playoffs, and if Casey is actually a competent coach.

Other than DeRozan and Lowry, and Ibaka. I'm not really scared of Jonas... Carroll isn't that effective, he's just an extra body to defend LBJ. The only thing I'm worried about is their bench production. And the fact our bench is just too inconsistent, and unable to get the right stops, or make the right plays without making a dumb one first. It comes with experience, chemistry, and Stevens to dole out a strong 8-9 rotation.

2) Only team I'm really concerned about is Atlanta. Considering their Millsap and Howard combo has been particularly effective against us, and if they have had added Korver, it would've been a more messier challenger for us.

Indiana, and Chicago are already trending downwards, and Washington Wizards will fold like a wet blanket in the playoffs... Trust me... No Paul Pierce? No problem.

3) If the team doesn't make it past the first round, I think its a sign for Ainge to either make drastic changes, or consider blowing it up after the end of this year. We should wait and be patient. All avenues will eventually open up, and more options will be explored by Ainge and the rest of the FO.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I would still be happy if we win the first round. I do not have expectations beyond that.
But I am preparing my self to disappointment because the team is not playing like a 2nd place team. We rarely beat other teams in a convincing way. more so we may end up playing a "Hot" team- the Heat may sneak into the playoff and playing very well lately. other teams are also match up good against us even if they are a low playoff seed.   

Re: If This Team Doesn't Make It Past The First Round, What Should Ainge Do?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 01:50:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
go back in time and make some moves rather than sitting on future assets that may not develop into anything anyway.

In all seriousness, I've been saying for awhile that this summer is the tipping point when Ainge and the Celtics either need to go all in or they need go full on rebuilding.  You can't try to do both effectively for a long period of time.  I don't really care which way the team goes, as long it picks a direction and sticks with it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't think what happens in the playoffs will matter that much.

Here's why: over the last year I've become convinced that "win now vs. draft" is a false choice, and that Danny isn't pursuing either one, and what's more, will not go "all in" on either strategy for the next 2-3 years.

What he is doing, and I've said this before, is build a *winning culture*. He hired a coach for the long term, rather than a short-term guy.

He's worked hard to build a team identity, and passed on guys (like Cousins) who may be poor fits.

He's held on to our draft picks for the most part, assembling a slew of younger guys and lottery picks rather than trading them all for stars.

So, to the frustration of many here, we have a 50-win team with a really bad shot at a championship and maybe 2-3 more years of peak play from its core, as well as some intriguing high picks and prospects (Brown, Smart, BKN, Zizic etc.) who probably won't peak for 3-4 years.

Why? Well, it comes back to culture. Those younger guys are all spending time in the locker room with professional, high-level vets, day in and day out (Crowder, Horford, IT, Bradley). They are playing on the court and learning the game from excellent role models who play the game the right way.

They are getting a taste of the playoffs every year, and seeing what it takes to make a deep run (whether they make it, or just lose to the teams who do it).

And so, in 3-4 years we might have a young core of 4-5 players, two of whom are real stars, and all of whom have developed in a winning, professional, stable system. I think that will help a LOT. Think of Kawhi Leonard's development. Think of how guys blossom in the Patriots system.

And contrast it with Philly. They have young talent that's done little except lose at this level. There are no veteran role models. They won't know what the playoffs are like. I don't think it's a coincidence that many of those guys have failed to live up to their lofty draft projections.

I'm sure I'll be accused of rationalizing what seems to be a frustrating, middle-of-the-road strategy by Ainge. But I see method to it, and I think almost every move he's made over the last 3-4 years fits with that strategy.

So long story short, I don't see the playoff outcome this year mattering too much. We know the limitations of this team and so does Danny. That won't change depending on whether we get hot or go cold for 2-3 games in April or May.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Let's take a reality check first on the offensive side of the ball.

To be fair, Avery Bradley is our 2nd best scorer and he's just starting to get back from his layoff. He's a .400 shooter from 3 point land, a 17ppg scorer and a good option when teams double IT. Losing him now hurts but losing him last year was the reason we lost against ATL in the playoffs. Crowder was 1/2 speed last year during the playoffs and that also hurt the team significantly.

So let's look at the ATL series last year versus this year. With no Bradley and a Crowder who couldn't drive, it was easy for ATL to key on IT. Turner, Smart and Sullinger weren't threats from outside or even mid-range. That makes for a very one dimensional offense. I was actually surprised we held up against ATL for 6 games last year given that only IT could generate any offense.

Fast forward to this year:

We can keep our fingers crossed that Bradley doesn't get hurt in Game 1 of the series. We can also keep our fingers crossed that Crowder isn't running at 1/2 speed. As for the rest of the team:

Al Horford is a significantly better offensive weapon than Sullinger.
Jaylen Brown is a significantly better outside shooter than Evan Turner and can also create some offense.
Marcus Smart is a better offensive threat than he was last year in both shooting and passing.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not sure what they do/don't do these playoffs should dictate the direction for the next half decade or so.

Take the offseason, explore FA, the trade market, & do your due diligence for the draft.  Continue to try & make the team better.  Take a long hard look at guys coming up for large pay days. 

None of this is rocket science & none of these requires pressing the restart button, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Ainge should try to do exactly what he's planning on trying to do anyway -- draft a potential superstar and sign or trade for a current star.  That's the goal, and whether we get swept in round 1 or win the title, the goal will be the same.