Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?  (Read 55531 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
My heart says "NO! NO! NO!" but my mind says "YES! YES!YES!"........................how can you not do this?

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »

Offline jamala22

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Lol even if Kobe and Dwight absolutely despised each other... you can't tell me a super-competitive player like Kobe Bryant would rather go to war with an injured point guard who can't even play until next year... over the best big man in the game.  The Lakers would effectively be punting this season and deciding to build around Rajon Rondo's mediocre future?  Come on...  that's absurd.

At this point Laker's management probably realizes the chances for much this season are done.  They need to get younger and this starts that move for them.  This rumor is kind of like how everyone on this forum was discussing the Celtics blowing things up about 3 weeks ago.  Lakers looks to trade off their assets now to position themselves for a quick turnaround. Nash and Gasol still have value as well that can make them younger.  Plus Rondo loves the glitz and glam of National TV games, maybe playing in LA and seeing all the movie stars court side would make him bring his A game every night. 

Overall for the Celtics this year, it would make us a huge threat come playoff time.  KG and Howard down low would close down the lane.

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
The question is would you trade rondo for dwight if it meant winning the title this year? The answer for me is yes. Dwight tastes winning he resigns I bet.

Would have to be rondo and bass for dwight to make the money work

Bradley
Lee/terry
Pierce/green
Garnett/
Howard

No, Lakers are going to want more than that.
Likely Rondo+Green+protected first for Howard.

What leverage do they have?!!!!!

The only reason they trade for a pg who cant shoot free throws, struggles shooting period, and IS COMING OFF AN ACL INJURY is because they're not confident at all they will keep him.

Sorry for the all caps. It's for emphasis. Not trying to get on you brother!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:58:55 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Honestly? I'd do this deal even if Howard doesn't resign. It makes us legit contenders NOW. I don't care about next year or the year after.

I'll co-sign here. We need to win right now.

Same here.  When a team has a shot at a championship, it needs to maximize its chances.

The Lakers aren't dumb enough to do this trade, though.

Unless they know something we don't... Like Howard is bouncing at year's end if Kobe is still a Laker.

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46:28 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Rondo and Nash on same team. Wat. No. Crazy. No Trade.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46:31 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Right. And Howard and fourteen guys from this forum went to the NBA Finals three and half years ago. Howard is only 27 years old.
Uh-huh.

So if he's so great, how come he's not going anywhere with teammates who have won multiple championships in the last 5 years?

Tiil last year how many championships got Leabron...Please...

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2013, 10:47:26 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Rondo and Nash on same team. Wat. No. Crazy. No Trade.

Are you super upset about LAL team??? ??? ;D ::)

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Watch this end up being the Lakers trading Earl Clark and a protected second-round pick for the Celtics' (lottery-protected) 2013 first round pick.   Clark is a lengthy (6'10"), athletic big who can stretch the floor (40.5% of threes this season) and rebound (his 15.0% total rebounding rate and 9.8 rebounds per 36 minutes this season are approximately what Kevin Garnett is pulling down).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2013, 10:49:40 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
Omg I am just thinking about the celtics defense with KG dwight and bradley shutting up the wade bosh Lebron and ray ray!! What a mistake ray!
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Lol i'd do that trade with or without an assurance that Dwight would re-sign.  Dwight is a franchise player... top 5... the best big man in the game.  Absolutely a player you can build a contender around.  Rondo is an allstar point guard (top 5 point guard), who is injured for at least a year... and isn't someone you can really build a team around.

I'd roll the dice.  Best case scenario, Dwight gets healthy enough to win us a title this year.  Worst case scenario, he bails on us, KG and Pierce retire and we start the rebuild off in grand style... cap space and lotto dreams.

I see very little reason for the Lakers to do this, though.  They would be insane to trade a top 5 player for a guy who is injured.

Top 5? Not even close.

Have you seen this dude this year?

Are you aware how bad his injury was for a man of his profession at his size with his limited skill set? For a guy so dependent on athleticism it's bad.

But this is a rare case with Rondo's skill set and his injury also. It's a perfect storm for Boston to take this risk.

Seriously though. You will never see the Dwight of Orlando again. Maybe he can be that effective but his below the rim game will be a huge part of it and thus it will be in a different way.

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If it's Bass and Rondo + pick/Melo, my goodness -- how in the world do you pass on that?

Well worth the risk even with no promise of re-signing IMO.

I'd hate to despise Rondo...  but I would.

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2013, 10:54:50 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Lol even if Kobe and Dwight absolutely despised each other... you can't tell me a super-competitive player like Kobe Bryant would rather go to war with an injured point guard who can't even play until next year... over the best big man in the game.  The Lakers would effectively be punting this season and deciding to build around Rajon Rondo's mediocre future?  Come on...  that's absurd.

Man this team ain't doing anything. Not beating OKC and SA on the road in a 7 game series. Not beating the Clippers either. Especially when they just got Billups back and likely flip Bledsoe and Odom for a NICE player.

This team is done for this year.

Smart to look towards next year especially when the chances Dwight leave for nothing in return are greater then ever.

You really think a a first or second round exit is any different then lottery if Dwight walks?

I don't.

The Lakers are D.E.A.D for the 2012-13 season as far as a title is concerned and for an organization like the Lakers - when that is the case - the only next step is think abut next year and contention.

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2013, 10:55:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Best I could come up with that I think would work for both teams

Howard, Peace, Blake

for

Rondo, Green, Bass, Sullinger, Barbosa, Collins

Boston post trade
Guards - Bradley, Lee, Terry, Blake
Wings - Pierce, Peace
Bigs - Garnett, Howard, Wilcox, Melo

C's clearly would need to add a big man free agent.  A guy like Kenyon Martin would make a lot more sense.  Add him to those guys and I think that is a team that could legitimately compete with the Heat if Howard was healthy.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Lol i'd do that trade with or without an assurance that Dwight would re-sign.  Dwight is a franchise player... top 5... the best big man in the game.  Absolutely a player you can build a contender around.  Rondo is an allstar point guard (top 5 point guard), who is injured for at least a year... and isn't someone you can really build a team around.

I'd roll the dice.  Best case scenario, Dwight gets healthy enough to win us a title this year.  Worst case scenario, he bails on us, KG and Pierce retire and we start the rebuild off in grand style... cap space and lotto dreams.

I see very little reason for the Lakers to do this, though.  They would be insane to trade a top 5 player for a guy who is injured.

Top 5? Not even close.

Have you seen this dude this year?

Are you aware how bad his injury was for a man of his profession at his size with his limited skill set? For a guy so dependent on athleticism it's bad.

But this is a rare case with Rondo's skill set and his injury also. It's a perfect storm for Boston to take this risk.

Seriously though. You will never see the Dwight of Orlando again. Maybe he can be that effective but his below the rim game will be a huge part of it and thus it will be in a different way.

And yet he's scoring 16.3 points a game (5th among centers) at a 57.8 FG% rate (career average levels, and 4th in the league) and grabbing 11.8 rebounds a game (league leader), while blocking 2.3 times a game (5th in the league). Give me a list of centers that have a similar stat line.

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Someone needs to kill this rumor real quick.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?