Author Topic: Hayward Talks 2018-19 Failure  (Read 5558 times)

Re: Hayward Talks 2018-19 Failure
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2024, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559
the hayward/kyrie era will always be a big what if to me. had hayward not gotten injured we clearly had the most talented team in the east. and matched up well with the warriors.

I really thought we would go to the finals that year. then hayward broke his ankle 5 minutes in and Kyrie got injured.

still took the cavs to 7 games.

the next year, Kyrie had one foot out the door and no one really wanted to sacrifice. hayward wasn't the all-star anymore. but I still thought they had enough talent to win. just never could play together.

complete opposite of this years team where everyone is willing to sacrifice their stats for the greater picture.

Yes and nobnody knew their role, or they wanted to do more than their role. We all talked about it when it was happening - this team has no hierarchy, no pecking order, no leader to lay the law down. Cryrie was supposed to be that but they didn't listen to him because he sucked as a leader and threw them under the bus during losses. Gordie was just trying to justify why he deserved minutes at all and to shake off the "teachers pet" accusations, then the kids that took us to the ECF and within one game of beating Cleveland in it (JT, JB, Terry) all thought they knew what it took to win and didn't need to be told about habits and sacrifice and such. Then you had Mook and Smartacus trying to justify that they were starters and deserved pay raises. No wonder Al bailed after it, esp. since it was looking like he was going to get a pay cut anyway.

Perfect example of a team where the whole was less than the sum of the parts, because they weren't pulling together in the same direction. And as Roy mentioned earlier I think Brad really learned from that. He's not going to add some dude that might be talented if the mental fit isn't right.
It was all Irving. Like 95% of the issue.  Biggest team killer in modern sports. Not even close. Guy is just a cancer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Hayward Talks 2018-19 Failure
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2024, 02:31:53 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I thought Hayward always played team ball here. With the Kemba Walker teams I actually felt the offense should be run thru  Hayward primarily. Good things always happened with Gordon in some action. But that was never happening here due to 1. egos at the time 2.a coach who couldn’t manage the egos and 3. endless injuries.