Author Topic: Celtics (42-21) at Pacers (39-25) Game #64 3/10/20  (Read 32093 times)

Re: Celtics (42-21) at Pacers (39-25) Game #64 3/10/20
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2020, 08:12:22 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Here's a concern of mine:  Kemba might not be shaking rust off, but rather he may just be struggling with the fact that he's not the top option for the first time in his career.

I don't question his ego or his attitude, but I do think he appears to be a guy who needs to take a lot of shots to get into the game.  Even earlier in this season, he had plenty of nights when he'd start cold and then shoot his way out of it.  Lately, he's not getting a chance to shoot out of it.

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2020, 08:14:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Overall, very pleased with the half.  Kemba is still lost, but Tatum and Hayward are both playing very good ball. 

Not overly concerned about Dipo hitting a flurry of tough jumpshots.  He's good, and that happens.

lost is an appropriate word for kemba lately. not sure what’s up with him but he’s not been the same player since the all-star break. possibly a lingering injury?

Looks like he's trying to do too much with the ball. He's not accustomed to being on a team with this much talent and thinks he's got to do it all sometimes.  He needs to play more off the ball with Hayward on the ball.

I'll buy your time-out argument, but this one seems flawed. Kemba played so well in the 1st half of the season that he was a starter for the All-Star game. I doubt that he suddenly forgot how to play with talented players (especially since at least one of the other most talented players has been out when he's played).

I'll assume it's the injury - something he has never really dealt with before - and hope that he gets over it soon. He is a premium talent when healthy.

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Good time out by Brad.
Was it though?

See, this is my problem when people complain about timeouts Brad doesn't make when fans want him to. It assumes good things happening after the timeout.

After this "good" timeout, Indy continued on their run and closed the game down to 4 points. The timeout didn't stop Indy's momentum.

What did change the momentum was the Celtics fighting through, getting stops and making shots so the C's opened things back up to 9 to end the quarter.

The assumption of good things happening after timeouts is poor and not based in any logic.

I thought it was a good time out at the time but after the time out in hindsight, you could say it didn't make much of a difference. I think you can do that all the way through the game but in real-time it seemed like a good time out.
And liam, my friend, I am not saying you are one of the people who do this, so I hope you don't think this was aimed at you.

I, too, thought it a good time for a timeout as Stevens was going to have to take one for a TV timeout within the next minute or so, so best take it to try to stem the momentum.

But it didn't work.

And that's the point I am trying to make. Calling timeouts doesn't mean things will get better, that momentum will be halted or that their will be success after the timeout, whether just for one play or the continuation of play.

Timeouts don't always work. Once it wasn't working, Brad could have called a TO again, but instead the players just started playing better. Sometimes letting guys figure stuff out is the best way to go.

Anyway, timeout rant over.

Great half.

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2020, 08:17:59 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Good time out by Brad.
Was it though?

See, this is my problem when people complain about timeouts Brad doesn't make when fans want him to. It assumes good things happening after the timeout.

After this "good" timeout, Indy continued on their run and closed the game down to 4 points. The timeout didn't stop Indy's momentum.

What did change the momentum was the Celtics fighting through, getting stops and making shots so the C's opened things back up to 9 to end the quarter.

The assumption of good things happening after timeouts is poor and not based in any logic.

I thought it was a good time out at the time but after the time out in hindsight, you could say it didn't make much of a difference. I think you can do that all the way through the game but in real-time it seemed like a good time out.
And liam, my friend, I am not saying you are one of the people who do this, so I hope you don't think this was aimed at you.

I, too, thought it a good time for a timeout as Stevens was going to have to take one for a TV timeout within the next minute or so, so best take it to try to stem the momentum.

But it didn't work.

And that's the point I am trying to make. Calling timeouts doesn't mean things will get better, that momentum will be halted or that their will be success after the timeout, whether just for one play or the continuation of play.

Timeouts don't always work. Once it wasn't working, Brad could have called a TO again, but instead the players just started playing better. Sometimes letting guys figure stuff out is the best way to go.

Anyway, timeout rant over.

Great half.

I agree. The Time out accomplished nothing there but it seemed like the thing to do at the time....

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2020, 08:18:10 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
There we go, Kemba.  Hopefully that gets you going.

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2020, 08:18:25 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
We’re on a good run right now
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2020, 08:19:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Overall, very pleased with the half.  Kemba is still lost, but Tatum and Hayward are both playing very good ball. 

Not overly concerned about Dipo hitting a flurry of tough jumpshots.  He's good, and that happens.

lost is an appropriate word for kemba lately. not sure what’s up with him but he’s not been the same player since the all-star break. possibly a lingering injury?

Looks like he's trying to do too much with the ball. He's not accustomed to being on a team with this much talent and thinks he's got to do it all sometimes.  He needs to play more off the ball with Hayward on the ball.

I'll buy your time-out argument, but this one seems flawed. Kemba played so well in the 1st half of the season that he was a starter for the All-Star game. I doubt that he suddenly forgot how to play with talented players (especially since at least one of the other most talented players has been out when he's played).

I'll assume it's the injury - something he has never really dealt with before - and hope that he gets over it soon. He is a premium talent when healthy.

Yeah, he just seems better when he goes quick and doesn't over dribble but he might still be working into game shape or  has a nagging injury...

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2020, 08:19:37 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
Here's a concern of mine:  Kemba might not be shaking rust off, but rather he may just be struggling with the fact that he's not the top option for the first time in his career.

I don't question his ego or his attitude, but I do think he appears to be a guy who needs to take a lot of shots to get into the game.  Even earlier in this season, he had plenty of nights when he'd start cold and then shoot his way out of it.  Lately, he's not getting a chance to shoot out of it.

i think this is spot on. his inability lately to shoot his way out of slumps loosely correlates to the rise of dominant tatum. he’s definitely not the prototypical DJ-style PG: run the offense and get the ball to your playmakers.

another concern: why after such a hot start, does brad bury gordon in the corner on offense? it’s maddening.

edit: as soon as i post the above, gordon buries back-to-back corner threes.  ;D

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2020, 08:19:47 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
Smart doing a good job of setting Hayward up in this third quarter.  Great start.

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2020, 08:19:56 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
This is how Smart should be playing every game.

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2020, 08:21:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

i think this is spot on. his inability lately to shoot his way out of slumps loosely correlates to the rise of dominant tatum. he’s definitely not the prototypical DJ-style PG: run the offense and get the ball to your playmakers.

another concern: why after such a hot start, does brad bury gordon in the corner on offense? it’s maddening.

I do like the ball in Hayward's hands more but I'm not sure why it's not.

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2020, 08:21:37 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
So what ya gonna do?

Hayward and Tatum are having a shooting contest in your arena.

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2020, 08:23:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, he just seems better when he goes quick and doesn't over dribble but he might still be working into game shape or  has a nagging injury...

Oh, totally - he is a lot better when he is going full speed. I do agree that Tatum has risen to the level of an All-NBA talent - something (as you mentioned) that Kemba hasn't yet seen in his career. I think the shots are still there, though - especially with Brown out. We definitely need a healthy Kemba to compete at the highest level.

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2020, 08:27:49 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
that little drive and leave in the lane from kemba to theis was exactly what this team needs more of from kemba; just not sure that’s his game.

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2020, 08:29:06 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Wanamaker in, can the lead survive?