Author Topic: We will be okay  (Read 5276 times)

Re: We will be okay
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
On another positive note, Jeff Green has averaged over 14 pts, 3 boards, 1 steal and 1 block in the past 5 games to go with strong defense. Oh, and fg% well over 50.

I see his workload increasing going forward. He doesn't look like the outsider waiting for his chance anymore.

agree, Green seems to have found his place and feels and looks like a part of the team.   Green has been a very important piece for the Celtics last victories

I'll be interested to see if Green can put a lid on Gay's offense when we play the Raptors. If he does we win up in Toronto
Lots of players seem to have found their place once Rondo is out of the lineup...

It all really boils down to the fact that the big 3 centric offense that worked so well from 08-10 had lost its effectiveness due to the advanced age of KG and Pierce. The new guards that were brought in this year couldn't play like that - in order to succeed they needed more touches and more playing time - which in turn, made them more comfortable. Rondo isn't the closer, he is the facilitator. Fortunately, that role can be handled collectively by our capable starters and backup guards. Losing Rondo never spelt the end, as losing KG (or even Pierce) would

EDIT: Jeff Green also seemed to need more playing time and more touches as he is playing MUCH better as well.

Also, I bet that these issues were brought up before Rondo/doc (aka deaf ears). Maybe this is why some guys were beginning to get frustrated, as the system wasn't changing and likewise wasn't working. However, Doc and Rondo are not oblivious - with them seeing this newfound progress, the dynamic of this team will change greatly when Rondo returns. Especially if Pierce and KG hang it up after this season. And we will likely need to get rid of one of our guards in the off-season in order to remove the congestion and keep things rolling smoothly. We need a big..

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
On another positive note, Jeff Green has averaged over 14 pts, 3 boards, 1 steal and 1 block in the past 5 games to go with strong defense. Oh, and fg% well over 50.

I see his workload increasing going forward. He doesn't look like the outsider waiting for his chance anymore.

agree, Green seems to have found his place and feels and looks like a part of the team.   Green has been a very important piece for the Celtics last victories

I'll be interested to see if Green can put a lid on Gay's offense when we play the Raptors. If he does we win up in Toronto
Lots of players seem to have found their place once Rondo is out of the lineup...

It all really boils down to the fact that the big 3 centric offense that worked so well from 08-10 had lost its effectiveness due to the advanced age of KG and Pierce. The new guards that were brought in this year couldn't play like that - in order to succeed they needed more touches and more playing time - which in turn, made them more comfortable. Rondo isn't the closer, he is the facilitator. Fortunately, that role can be handled collectively by our capable starters and backup guards. Losing Rondo never spelt the end, as losing KG (or even Pierce) would

EDIT: Jeff Green also seemed to need more playing time and more touches as he is playing MUCH better as well.

Also, I bet that these issues were brought up before Rondo/doc (aka deaf ears). Maybe this is why some guys were beginning to get frustrated, as the system wasn't changing and likewise wasn't working. However, Doc and Rondo are not oblivious - with them seeing this newfound progress, the dynamic of this team will change greatly when Rondo returns. Especially if Pierce and KG hang it up after this season. And we will likely need to get rid of one of our guards in the off-season in order to remove the congestion and keep things rolling smoothly. We need a big..

When you talk about what's been working and what hasn't, you'd have to consider the fact that earlier this season things *were* working when Rondo was controlling the offense. In fact it was working better than anything we're likely to see from our current team over the rest of the season. It's great that Courtney Lee is thriving (for Courtney Lee, that is) when he's playing 30+ minutes a game and handling the ball quite a bit. What's more important is whether the team's offense will thrive with Courtney Lee and I don't know that it will.

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Um, okay. Too bad they do not have one guy on the roster who can truly play point guard. We will be okay. We lost a guy who is supposedly a top 5 point guard in the league and in the top 20 for MVP. Sure, will be great.

How many teams in the league have a legit "proper" PG?

There are probably only 4 or 5 of those in the league:
* Chris Paul
* Rajon Rondo
* Andre Miller
* Jason Kidd
* Deron Williams

Guys like Derek Rose, Mario Chalmers, Russel Westbrook, Brandon Jennings (etc) are not proper/pure Point Guards, they are basically scorers who can handle the ball.

The natural PG is very rare in today's game, which is dominated largely by scoring PGs.
Nope, it's not -- there's just a pile of players that you can't think of. Let me help:

Rubio
Vasquez
Holliday
Calderon
Dragic
Conley
Lin
Jack
Teague
Nelson

I'm sure there may be more that I'm forgetting. These are the most prominent ones.

That's not as rare as you're trying to make it look.

the second list is highly flawed
holiday...as in jrue? conley? nelson? ROFL
ok.

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Quote from: kgainez

ok.

You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss some of those players.  Jrue Holliday is an all star this year, putting up 19/9/4 (he's only 22).  And the ever-consistent Mike COnley is quarterbacking one of the best teams in the NBA...oh and he's second in the nba in steals per game.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Um, okay. Too bad they do not have one guy on the roster who can truly play point guard. We will be okay. We lost a guy who is supposedly a top 5 point guard in the league and in the top 20 for MVP. Sure, will be great.

How many teams in the league have a legit "proper" PG?

There are probably only 4 or 5 of those in the league:
* Chris Paul
* Rajon Rondo
* Andre Miller
* Jason Kidd
* Deron Williams

Guys like Derek Rose, Mario Chalmers, Russel Westbrook, Brandon Jennings (etc) are not proper/pure Point Guards, they are basically scorers who can handle the ball.

The natural PG is very rare in today's game, which is dominated largely by scoring PGs.
Nope, it's not -- there's just a pile of players that you can't think of. Let me help:

Rubio
Vasquez
Holliday
Calderon
Dragic
Conley
Lin
Jack
Teague
Nelson

I'm sure there may be more that I'm forgetting. These are the most prominent ones.

That's not as rare as you're trying to make it look.

ok.
Um, excuse me, on what principle are you compiling this list? If your point was to show that are only five top 5 PGs in the NBA ... um... well, you managed that.

All the players on my lists are natural PGs that play nontrivial minutes for their teams. They may be of different quality, but I didn't think that was the point here (although most of them are probably still better than Andre Miller, all things considered).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."