Author Topic: Rookies getting flack  (Read 2196 times)

Rookies getting flack
« on: May 30, 2020, 06:25:40 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Some of it quite nasty and some using underwhelming.
Romeo played his senior year with injured hand that needed off season surgery and rehab.This kept him out of summer league Then minor injuries that kept him out during training camp .The kid was only 19 years old. Later in season, he started to get some playing time that showed off his weakside offensive rebounding and weakside help on defence leading to blocks and drawing hard NBA charges.
 His elite wingspan allowed him a finger roll over outstretched hand of Thurmond a big part of his offensive game in college.

We also saw a fearless Grant Williams and his basketball IQ. After going 0-36 on 3pt shots he steadily improved, Grant also put his body on the line drawing charges or while meeting bigs at the rim or diving for loose balls Marcus style.

Carson had a really good Summer League and Pre-season .
 But also had the most adjusting to do. Playing against length ,speed and finishing against bigs night after night.. He had to play tough defence and adjust to fighting over multiple NBA screens only to face mismatches and then on offense his shooting betrayed him coming in cold
To be so dismissive of Carson Edwards, as he had the greatest number of adjustments on a contending team that its opponents were always up for.
Carson may be small but is compact and strong with 6-6 wingspans and he showed some elite athleticism at the Combine.
I think Carson got overwhelmed coming in cold and not having the ball in his hand another adjustment. As the game slows down Carson may recover his confidence and shot. It seemed like he was forcing but I just think he was learning the hard way about NBA strength, length ,speed ,athleticism and  BBIQ 
After all he is a rookie.
A rookie Danny was impressed enough with to give a 4 year contract.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 07:02:54 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Rookies getting flack
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 06:57:11 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
With time and patience I could buy that Edwards can become a 6th man one day, who can really change the momentum of a game with his electrifying shooting. With his high BBIQ and by developing his outside shooting Grant Williams can become a solid NBA rotation player even within his rookie-contract. And Langford has shown real signs of strong defense if he can change his stroke he can become a good NBA player in a couple of years.

However I emphasize again that the Celtics don't have that time. We would just be wasting Walker and Hayward's years in Boston. The next two years are probably the last of their primes. It's time to harvest!

We should get rid of the majority of these projects and get some experienced veterans with reliable shooting. It's pathetic that the Celtics as a team are just average on shooting/scoring in terms of efficiency when your core exists of Walker, Brown, Tatum and Hayward. Just look up the shooting percentages of the rest of the roster. Truly embarrasing, especially for a playoff-team.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 07:02:47 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Carson is just a spot up shooter and that’s it..he be out of league in couple of years
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 01:43:27 PM by Birdman »
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 10:05:39 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
Carsen is just a spot up shooter and that’s it..he be out of league in couple of years

Probably yes.

But if you let him be a volume shooter and give him free room to just fire away and accept the losses that will follow because of it and be very patient with him to slowly increase those shooting percentages to an acceptable level I could see him become a good volume bench scorer. Although he has been disappointing after a strong pre-season.

However Edwards playing style (not his skill/body package per se) is just a terrible fit for our roster and he's certainly not worth that trouble. Some team like the Wizards that should go in a full rebuild mode might be a better place for Edwards.

About Grant Williams, if I look at how all the other rookies did this year then I wouldn't pick Grant top 10 but he would be very close. So overall you can certainly say he was a good pick at #22, I'm just not sure what that amounts to.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:32:01 AM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 10:41:11 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Carsten is just a spot up shooter and that’s it..he be out of league in couple of years
i dont know that player, but Carsen Edwards could wind up like Eddie House, having a nice career based upon one really good skill and a few adequate others.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 11:55:20 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I wanted Brandon Clarke with one of our picks in the 20’s. Thought he would have been a really nice “Swiss army knife/high energy 2/3/4 swing.

That said, I was really impressed with Langford strength, length, lateral speed and toughness on D. Also, he may not be the best shooter out there but he looks like he knows how to score. He can probably become decent from three and mid range and he’s got some real nice stuff going to the whole with either the left or right hand and has the ability to finish well.

I like Grant Williams a lot. Just wish he were 6’9”. If he was he’d be an all star level talent, perhaps in year one - he is just that smart, strong, tough and talented. At 6’” he’s a 20-10 machine out of the gate. Problem is he’s 6’5” without the vertical athleticism or wingspan you help make up for it. Right in the strike zone for Ainge with big men. Undersized, short armed and with limited athleticism - that’s a homerun pick from Ainge’s perspective.

Carsen Edwards?  I like him but he has a lot of work to do. He has to develop other skills than just shooting. Otherwise he may have a career as a sniper but it will be limited. I wanted Brian Fernando or whatever other best legitimately sized big man with that pick.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 11:57:10 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Bruno Fernando...

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 12:28:54 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
Bruno Fernando...

I was high on Fernando as well. I also liked Gafford a lot and both are showing potential.
Didn't think Hayes would live up to his draft position, but he has.

I didn't have Naz Reid as a first rounder (early second) on my board last year, however being undrafted he shows flashes in Minnesota (I recall that a few posters here were advocating for him).

Wonder if we'll ever here much about Bol Bol. I'm hoping he'll become that unique player.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 11:40:05 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Solid role players Langford and WIlliams

I like Romeo Langford.  I think he is going to be really good at his role coming off the bench defending hard and driving to the rim.

G-Will looks on path to be Paul Millsap lite.  I'd move Hayward to the bench and start Williams at the 4 for the overall improvement of the second unit but I am hoping we draft a PF who can move into the starting PF slot within a year especially if Hayward leaves after next season.  I think Williams will be a solid back up 4 and a 5 in a pinch. 

Edwards and Waters need  to be on a bad team

I think Edwards can be something like a Yogi Ferrell who looked pretty good on a sucky Mavs team or at best a Fred VanVleet if he can get minutes.  He is not going to get the run he needs in boston because he hasn't defend well and doesn't seem to be showing the defensive gene.

Waters would probably look really good on a bad team.  Maybe IT on the Kings good but with some actual D.   I don't know if he has a future here.   If we pick a big or even normal sized PG who can defend waters may be short lived in Boston.  At this point I like him more than Edwards. 

Tacko is big and slow.  There is a role for him but I don't know if he can make it that far.  He is benefited greatly if Kanter ops out and we cut Poirier.  If we run it back with Theis, R. Williams, Kanter, Poirier and we draft a center, there is no room for Tacko.  Th staff speaks highly of Takco and seems to really want him to do well so who knows.