Author Topic: NBA board expected to ok season restart plan  (Read 14516 times)

NBA board expected to ok season restart plan
« on: May 29, 2020, 10:13:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Who’s ready for banner 18?

http://Https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29242794/sources-nba-board-governors-expected-approve-adam-silver-restart-plan-thursday

The NBA is planning a Thursday vote of the league's board of governors -- with owners expected to approve commissioner Adam Silver's recommendation on a format to restart the season in Orlando, Florida, sources tell ESPN.

The NBA has been examining several plans for a return to play, but numerous members of the board of governors tell ESPN that there's growing support for a plan to bring 22 teams to Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in July.

This format likely would include regular-season and play-in games to compete for playoff berths in both the Eastern and Western Conferences, sources said.

The NBA needs a three-fourths majority of owners to approve a return-to-play plan, and an overwhelming majority of owners expressed a desire to do precisely that on both a board of governors call on Friday and later in interviews with ESPN.

Re: NBA board expected to ok season restart plan
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 10:18:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
July 31 seems to be the date they are targeting for a resumption in games.

Excited to see what we could do with our squad hopefully fully healthy. What would be interesting is to see if KD and/or Kyrie actually return by then. Still 2 months away and the Nets are in the playoffs as of now.

With that said, I still have the question of what happens if they do testing and someone tests positive. How do they proceed after that, just keep playing and tell the team that loses a player, "tough luck"? And of course, are they confident they can stop the spread once it starts? I don't think starting the season back up will be as easy as people seem to think.

But, I'm glad they are taking steps towards restarting the season. There'll be more details to come for sure as they create a proposal and an outline of safety measures.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:34:29 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I'd be interested to see how they rank the draft for the teams that don't restart vs those that do.  Is there a hard break line or do they go off W/L percentage?  Makes a big difference to those teams, and thus to us.  We want the W/L option I would think.  What happens to the pay for those players on teams that do not come back?

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 10:50:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Likely we'll be having another Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals this year...if the playoff formats are all changed up.

Unfortunately, LeBron is well-rested and been working out, and Anthony Davis is fully healthy. While Tatum doesn't have a basketball court to work on his game...ugh.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 08:33:19 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Just curious as to what is a play-in games tournament and how does this in effect affect current seeding?

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I still dont see how this will work. Are they going to test every player, referee, coach, trainer, media analyst, cameraman, etc every single day?  Thats what would be necessary because I assume none of them are quarantining themselves.  What if one person tests positive?

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 09:56:45 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I hate it.  The season is illegitimate IMO.  No need for it.  Players should be gearing for a clean start next season, whether in late fall or maybe in spring of ‘21 when we may have a vaccine.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 10:52:09 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
July 31 seems to be the date they are targeting for a resumption in games.

Excited to see what we could do with our squad hopefully fully healthy. What would be interesting is to see if KD and/or Kyrie actually return by then. Still 2 months away and the Nets are in the playoffs as of now.

With that said, I still have the question of what happens if they do testing and someone tests positive. How do they proceed after that, just keep playing and tell the team that loses a player, "tough luck"? And of course, are they confident they can stop the spread once it starts? I don't think starting the season back up will be as easy as people seem to think.

But, I'm glad they are taking steps towards restarting the season. There'll be more details to come for sure as they create a proposal and an outline of safety measures.

To me its roughly equivalent to pulling a hamstring. Out for a couple weeks, a real bad peice of luck for sure. But injuries happen.

The thing here is if you decide not to reopen this season then you are basically saying you are gonna wait till a vaccine, because I'm not sure theres any real reason to expect the fall to be better. And I don't think anybody wants to be shut down till 21'. So let's see if they can pull it off.

Of course I'm biased, I'm going insane with no sports.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 03:07:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If they go the soccer route where 20 teams participate in 4 groups of 5 teams each, does this mean that only 10 remaining teams participate in the lottery? That would seem to be fair.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 09:05:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
just give  LA the thing and be done with it already .   Media and Silver are determined to see it though.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 09:19:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If they go the soccer route where 20 teams participate in 4 groups of 5 teams each, does this mean that only 10 remaining teams participate in the lottery? That would seem to be fair.

My suspicion is if they do go with 20 teams that teams 13-20 will be playing in their own 'pool' with only the top 4 advancing to the playoffs.  The 4 teams eliminated will be the last 4 lottery teams, joining the 10 teams not taking part in the tournament.  Teams 1-12 will be simply playing for seeding in pool play, none of them will be eliminated until the actual playoffs start.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 12:44:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I really wish they did a three game seeding playoff then did best out of 3 series with top 16 teams. So we get very competitive high profile games that lead into the playoffs.

Breaks down as brackets of 4 based on current standings. 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 bracket determines final seeding 1-4. Then 5 vs 8, 6 vs 7 bracket determines 5-8 etc..etc..

Teams 17-24 play one game tourney. For a player exemption that is twice as much as the MLE. The exemption can be used for a player signing or trade.

The rest of the teams can look forward to the lottery.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:29:53 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 08:42:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
I don't care if it's a Mickey Mouse end to the season that will have an asterisk next to it...I'm ready to watch some hoops  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 02:13:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well my idea won't work as NBA needs 70 games played for each team based on TV contracts. Guess they just play out schedule to 70 and go into a shorten playoff. The exemption tourney idea can still be something they add to bring more TV revenue from loss of games.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 11:20:08 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I don't care if it's a Mickey Mouse end to the season that will have an asterisk next to it...I'm ready to watch some hoops  :laugh:

Yeah. There's no perfect solution. Something is definitely better than nothing.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008