Author Topic: Change my mind: Jaylen Brown is the most explosive scorer on the Celtics  (Read 3776 times)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Irving is the best scorer.
Hayward and Tatum have a more well-rounded offense.
Horford and Smart are better distributors.
Rozier is more of an offensive wild card.
Morris is more settled in his offensive role.

Jaylen Brown is the most likely player on our team to score 9 or 11 points in a row. Plus, his shooting normally encourages more aggressive defense, which means he has many times gone on personal 8-0 runs against other teams, where he hits a few threes, gets a few dunks, and gets a few steals or blocks.

He's a special kind of explosive player.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If it was last year I'd say it was Rozier. He was a spark off the bench that scored so fast. Morris was filling it up off the bench, since being a starter he has cooled. Brown has been up and down so wouldn't call him explosive at all.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think as Brown gets a better feel for what he can and cannot do, he will become a fantastic player, maybe eventually reaching all star level one day.

His two biggest needs for improvement are (i) stronger hands on ball when he goes to hoop (and is able to draw fouls rather than getting stripped), and (ii) raising his foul shooting percentage into mid to high 70's%. 

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
We can probably define "explosive" a few different ways but I think, because of his physical traits, he is capable of going on the type of runs you're talking about. Jaylen is really quick but also one of the strongest wing players in the league. He had a drive against PJ Tucker in that Houston game and absolutely trucked Tucker, who is a beast himself. When Jaylen gets a step or an angle, he can go toe-to-toe with just about anyone and he keeps getting smarter in the open court.

He could be a transition monster if he keeps getting better.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I was sky high on our young players at one time. I've now come to the realization that neither Brown or Tatum are quick studies or have the potential to be definitely special.

When I look through the league and I see young players like Trae Young 18.3ppg 8 assists, D Fox 17.5ppg-7.3 assists, Devin Booker 25 ppg, Buddy Hield 21.1, Luke Doncic 21.0, Kyle Kuzma 18.7, Jamal Murry 18.3, Donovan Mitchell 23.6ppg, Ben Simmons 17.2 and 7.9 assists.

There is a possibility that Brown and Tatum will be merely good NBA players along the lines of Marcus Morris.

Brown defends better, but both, in general, do not see the floor well, don't rebound well, and both are below average passers. I understand that they are young, perhaps younger than some of the players I've mentioned above. But judging by experience and minutes played they have more than many of the players mentioned above.

Going by the rumors concerning Anthony Davis, maybe Danny sees the same thing.

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Definitely disagree. It's hard to say he's a more explosive scorer than Kyrie is after witnessing what Kyrie has done to us in the playoffs when he was on the Cavs.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I was sky high on our young players at one time. I've now come to the realization that neither Brown or Tatum are quick studies or have the potential to be definitely special.

When I look through the league and I see young players like Trae Young 18.3ppg 8 assists, D Fox 17.5ppg-7.3 assists, Devin Booker 25 ppg, Buddy Hield 21.1, Luke Doncic 21.0, Kyle Kuzma 18.7, Jamal Murry 18.3, Donovan Mitchell 23.6ppg, Ben Simmons 17.2 and 7.9 assists.

There is a possibility that Brown and Tatum will be merely good NBA players along the lines of Marcus Morris.

Brown defends better, but both, in general, do not see the floor well, don't rebound well, and both are below average passers. I understand that they are young, perhaps younger than some of the players I've mentioned above. But judging by experience and minutes played they have more than many of the players mentioned above.

Don't know where to start, there are so many things wrong with this.

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73

I think their situations make them look worse than they are.  Tatum and Brown look like future stars when they have the room to shine.  Often this season Tatum just looks like Otto Porter Jr. out there, but I think if he was a real #1 or #2 scorer on a team we wouldn't be thinking this of him.

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

For the record Buddy Hield is a lot older, he's 26 and will be turning 27 this year.

It's kind of hard to really see what Jaylen and Jason can truly do with Kyrie and Hayward on the Roster. We saw Tatum have an historical run in the playoffs last year when those two were the top options. There are a lot of factors outside of just comparing stats side by side.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
After that 20 game slump and move to the bench, I think Jaylen has really grown into his role, improved his game, and, most importantly, developed his game. Just look what he has added this year:

A hunger when he gets that defensive rebound to go coast to coast, through players and finish. Such a quick score after a miss is great offense. He could not do this with great success last year, he could barely keep his dribble attempting this his freshman year.

That turnaround, leg lift, Dirk like jumper is just too sweet. It's his mid range go to shot and he is making it at a very high rate. Again, not seen before this year.

His in the lane, eurostep finish has gotten him tons of points this year. It's really become a great weapon on his drives.

His handle is light years better than year one. His usage is up and his turnovers are down. And he has some shake and bake at the perimeter to set up his drives that he never had. Before he was just a hard step fake and straight line to the basket drive no matter who was there.

He is shooting higher percentages from every distance except from three where he just has been up and down all year.

His ability to finish through contact is markedly better. As he gets physically stronger and adds about 15 pounds of muscle, it's going to be hard to slow him down from finishing.

Lastly, these are his per36 numbers since the benching:

48/36/70 shooting splits
20.5 points
6.5 rebounds
2 assists

Brown's development is progressing nicely. You can even see that he knows where the ball has to go on passes now when he gets cut off from the basket on drives and is delivering it. No, his playmaking for others is still a work in progress but he is taking baby steps at getting better.

Regarding those other players getting better numbers than Brown and Tatum, those other players are #1 options on their teams and put up tons of shots. Brown and Tatum aren't afforded that luxury, not with so many other scorers on the team.

Not too bad for Brown, a player with such a low BBIQ, as some of you so wrongly claimed.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:55:03 PM by nickagneta »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
If Jaylen improves his FT shooting, he'll be one hell of a scorer.

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
If Jaylen improves his FT shooting, he'll be one hell of a scorer.

His first instinct is to go to the hole strong, and is the best thing about his game. Once he gets trickier and like someone else posted...always think someone is gonna slap at the ball when you first pick it up for a layup...because they are...and hold it stronger...then the sky is the limit for him.

He's already the most explosive athlete on the team. Also he should make a point to try for contact everytime he drives and he'll live at the line while throwing the defender off what he wants to do.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
You're overthinking it.  Kyrie is the best AND most explosive scorer on this team...by a lot.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
You're overthinking it.  Kyrie is the best AND most explosive scorer on this team...by a lot.

Yup.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If Jaylen keeps working as hard as he has so far, he'll be a monster at 25