Author Topic: Game 5, Red Sox vs Dodgers  (Read 51381 times)

Re: Game 5, Red Sox vs Dodgers
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2018, 12:15:58 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Great to see Pearce win MVP. He must have been dreaming if this exact situation for his entire life

What a game, what a series, what a season!

I guess, but Price deserved it - Pearce's last homerun was irrelevant. We needed every bit of what Price gave us and he delivered...TWICE. I feel really bad for Price - he has taken a lot of heat from the Boston media and he proved everybody wrong. It's really too bad for him...

Insurance runs in the World Series are never irrelevant. Price deserved it, too, but no one should take anything away from Pearce. He earned it

Pearce had some very timely hits and he certainly contributed greatly to the series win, but Price had a lot more pressure on him and was sensational. Like in football where you just give the MVP to the QB if it's close, the same should hold true for pitchers in baseball.

Anyway, awesome Sox win - this team was truly a joy to watch! They fired on all cylinders and beat all of the best teams to reach this point. At the beginning of the playoffs, I wasn't sure if they had the emotional make-up to go all the way, but they sure performed extraordinarily throughout the month...especially in the clutch!  ;D

True, Price deserved it, but, Price is making huge $$$ and is a superstar either way who has several years left, Pearce is an old journeyman who will never get a chance at this kind of recognition ever again, and is probably done soon.
Price may have deserved the MVP but the media votes.  How well is Price liked by the media?  So no it will always go to Pearce.  I would have given it to both..Red Sox 2018 Word Champs.

« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2018, 02:08:46 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Sucks to be a Dodgers fan though. They lost TWO World Series in less than a year much less in Dodgers Stadium  :o

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2018, 05:37:30 AM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
Despite some recent blunders, I've always been a fan of Ian Kinsler throughout his career, and it's good to see him win one. Solid pickup IMO

« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2018, 06:28:08 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Despite some recent blunders, I've always been a fan of Ian Kinsler throughout his career, and it's good to see him win one. Solid pickup IMO

I was so mad at him, but it's all good now. 

« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2018, 09:54:57 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The media is the best. 2019 Power Ratings from ESPN:

1. Astros
2. Yankees
3. Dodgers
4. Red Sox

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25088592/ranking-mlb-teams-ahead-2019-offseason

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
What a great year for the Red Sox. That was an unbelievable ride, dating back all the way to the off-season. It seems like ownership and management had a plan immediately after losing to the Astros in last season’s playoffs. Sometimes it’s less about acquiring the big name, and more about finding the right guy that fits your team. After each loss this postseason, the team didn’t flinch, but rather seemed more determined to win and beat the will out of their opponent.

As for who deserved the World Series MVP, I thought Pearce was deserving to be considered. However, David Price should have won for locking down the Dodgers and winning 2 games in the series. He even pitched in relief too. I was so happy for Price, as he seems like a great teammate and a guy anyone would want on their team. I was also happy to see Sale on the mound to close out the series. Sale was great all season, until his injury derailed his run. Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to do much during the playoffs, but getting the chance to close it out must have felt unbelievable.

I can’t say enough good things about this Red Sox team, other than simply thanking them for a great year.

« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2018, 10:11:13 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Closing out with 6 consecutive K's was pretty awesome.  Flawless pitching after the first pitch of the night.

Such a resolute team.

Poetic to see Mookie, JD and Sale all get to contribute in clincher.

Yup

« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

1. Astros
2. Yankees
3. Dodgers
4. Red Sox

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25088592/ranking-mlb-teams-ahead-2019-offseason

ESPN seems to have a chip on its shoulder about Boston teams in recent years.  They publish a long, sleazy article bashing the Patriots full of anonymous sources about every year.  They rarely give the Celtics their due credit.  They clearly favored the Yankees and Houston over the Red Sox despite 108 wins.  I'd mention the Bruins, but they don't cover hockey any more.

« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2018, 10:15:51 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

1. Astros
2. Yankees
3. Dodgers
4. Red Sox

That is hilarious. Obviously, free agency will greatly effect those rankings. Vegas has the Red Sox and Astros as co-favorites at 6-1, followed by the Yankees and Dodgers at 7-1.

BTW, one thing that puzzled me during the Astros series, was the narrative of Verlander being this great playoff performer. He's a great first round pitcher (7-0), but was only 6-7 in the ALCS and World Series. Other than his run last season with the Astros, I can't remember a similar run with Detroit.

« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Awesome game. Was on a plane throughout the whole game, luckily they had live TV =)

Incredibly happy about this team. It just seems like everytime we win, we have a very special group of players. Hope it doesn't deteriorate like it has happened afterwards.

Alex Cora - I Love My Manager!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:27:35 PM by BudweiserCeltic »