Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye isn't on the bubble, but should he be?  (Read 2753 times)

Re: Semi Ojeleye isn't on the bubble, but should he be?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
No, he shouldnt be on the bubble. He has a well-defined NBA skill (defense), which is what you need from deep bench guys

Being outplayed offensively by someone we drafted in the first round because of his versatility on the offensive end doesn't somehow change that. He and Grant Williams are not the same, and aren't filling the same role, so comparing the two is meaningless

Meaningless?

Would you say that Semi's D, is significantly better than GWills at this stage?

Nobody can say, because we haven't seen Williams  tasked with having to defend Giannis or Ben Simmons or Lebron - all of whom Semi was able to do a pretty good job on due to his combination of strength and quickness.

Williams has strength but he looks to have the footspeed of a sloth with a broken leg, and I really haven't seen him demonstrate any more offensively so far then Semi has.  I've seen him hit a couple of open threes and that's about it.  Semi made some open threes last season too. 

Fact is you really cannot compare the two until you've seen both guys play against quality NBA competition.  I've seen Semi do that and he held his own, at least on one end of the court.  I've yet to see it from Williams. 

My biggest concern with Williams is positional - where will he play?  Semi has the tougness to play some four, the speed to play some 2, and naturally is probably more of a 3.  From what I saw Williams seemed to get stompted on when he was playing the 4, and he just looks too slow and clumsy to play the 3.  So I just don't know how he's going to make it in the NBA.  I'm willing to give him the beneit of the doubt and hope he can develop nicely and prove me wrong, but so far I've not been impressed by him.

Re: Semi Ojeleye isn't on the bubble, but should he be?
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No, he shouldnt be on the bubble. He has a well-defined NBA skill (defense), which is what you need from deep bench guys

Being outplayed offensively by someone we drafted in the first round because of his versatility on the offensive end doesn't somehow change that. He and Grant Williams are not the same, and aren't filling the same role, so comparing the two is meaningless

Meaningless?

Would you say that Semi's D, is significantly better than GWills at this stage?

Nobody can say, because we haven't seen Williams  tasked with having to defend Giannis or Ben Simmons or Lebron - all of whom Semi was able to do a pretty good job on due to his combination of strength and quickness.

Williams has strength but he looks to have the footspeed of a sloth with a broken leg, and I really haven't seen him demonstrate any more offensively so far then Semi has.  I've seen him hit a couple of open threes and that's about it.  Semi made some open threes last season too. 

Fact is you really cannot compare the two until you've seen both guys play against quality NBA competition.  I've seen Semi do that and he held his own, at least on one end of the court.  I've yet to see it from Williams. 

My biggest concern with Williams is positional - where will he play?  Semi has the tougness to play some four, the speed to play some 2, and naturally is probably more of a 3.  From what I saw Williams seemed to get stompted on when he was playing the 4, and he just looks too slow and clumsy to play the 3.  So I just don't know how he's going to make it in the NBA.  I'm willing to give him the beneit of the doubt and hope he can develop nicely and prove me wrong, but so far I've not been impressed by him.
Incredibly dismissive of his great passing, better shooting, and elite FT shooting. Plus, he has a good low-post game. Semi, by comparison, has no real offensive arsenal that I know of.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)