Author Topic: Erden  (Read 12077 times)

Re: Erden
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 10:12:10 AM »

Offline Fastbreak

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Kungpowechicken's post was right on target (because I agreed)..although I have no idea if he has reached his potential..apparently Danny doesn't think so..let's hope Ainge is right..

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 10:19:19 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

. Seems like he knows how to play the game, and could be possible be a rotation player, however I do believe that he has reached he ceiling in terms of potential.

What makes you think that?  Isn't this guy only 20 years old?  I seriously doubt that he has reached his full potential at such a young age with little experience. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 10:26:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I only saw about 2 minutes of the first half, before leaving for work this morning, but I was impressed with his size, and mobility.  He Looks to be in the Gasol mould physically.  A very big guy, who moves very smoothly and fluidly, and has deceptive athleticism. 

I have no idea about his skills, and whether he will be an NBA player, but I am at least intrigued by his physical gifts.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »

Offline CelticPride

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 28

I saw the first half (before cable went out on the island).
Erden looked especially good on his 1 rebound which he collected in the corner, drove the baseline and dished the ball on the interior between two defenders for an easy deuce. I also liked his runout on Kobe to induce a brick (ahh.. Kobe bricking shots - good times)

As mentioned before, he could use a little more bulk, but he has a handle and made a number of tip-backs in offensive rebound scenarios allowing his guards to get the board.

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
My observations:

Our brand new seven-foot draftee was up and down.

Early in the first quarter, Erden put promising physicality on display against the man-child, Dwight Howard. Deep down, everybody was well-aware that Howard was the most physically dominant big man on the floor, but Erden didn’t let the 6′11” specimen get into his head. He put a body on him, disrupted him inside, and showed some toughness.

An international center with a physical spirit? I like.

Offensively, he showed terrific fundamentals and a little versatility, as he worked inside as well as stepped out as far as three-point territory (though he missed the shot). Granted, he shot just 1-8 from the floor and scored just five points, but it was nice to see some polish from the 20-year-old.

Physically, he’s no Dwight Howard or even a Carlos Boozer, but he showed some mobility and willingness to run the floor.

From my point of view, his biggest flaw is his fluidity. He has good hands, some toughness, and seems to know how to get position and box out. The problem is that he doesn’t always gain position, on account of his shaky footwork. In addition, he didn’t look like he knew exactly where to be on a few possessions, which is expected from a 20-year-old big.

He did some good things, he did some questionable things, and he looks like a bit of a project. But with the 60th pick, what do you expect? With proper tutelage from our man Clifford Ray on areas such as footwork and anticipation, Erden may have a chance to make the Celtics’ roster at some point.

For more on the game in general, you can check out my full USA/Turkey game recap here.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
from what little i saw of him he looks like hes reasonable mobile on offense but on defense like many euro in the nba hes a ball watcher. he shows almost no reaction to penetration or finding the ball anywhere in his vicinity. that will not fly here.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
He looks like his maximum potential is a poor man's gasol. looks like a bad pick to me.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 11:16:42 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
He looks like his maximum potential is a poor man's gasol. looks like a bad pick to me.

How can the 60th overall selection be a "bad pick?"
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible

i don't know. i'm not sure. i expected more from draft god danny.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
The last pick in the draft cant be a "bad pick" in any way shape or form.

DA says he will be considered our 1st rounder next year..so he beleives Erden is a late first round talent. Remember big men take longer to develop so Erden is probably a few years away from playing here. Our roster is loaded with young talent so I don't see us bringing him over for atleast 2 more seasons.

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I felt that he suffered from poor guard play. The Turkish team had a turnover fest.

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

no chance you could be setting your standards a tad high?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible

not at all. theres a reason why danny doesn't often draft oversea prospects. he only did this this year because of monetary issues.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 03:11:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

not at all. theres a reason why danny doesn't often draft oversea prospects. he only did this this year because of monetary issues.

And that reason is?

Seriously, you are expecting WAY too much here.  It is rare for the 60th pick in the draft to ever even make the league.

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

a poor man's marc gasol is a bad pick at 60?

come on zero, your better than that. the kid is the freakign last pick in the draft. if he turns out to be 1/5th of gasol, he's a great find.

danny can't find leon powe's with every pick, sorry he didn't get you shaq with pick 60. honestly people.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion