Author Topic: Your definition of Bandwagon?  (Read 7452 times)

Re: Your definition of Bandwagon?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What's your definition of bandwagon?

Miami Heat fan.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I think you guys that see fans not wanting to watch the Celtics when they are bad are confusing Celtic fans and bandwagon fans.

Fandom is like a hurricane category rating system

Cat 1 - Non Fan. Could care less if basketball ever existed

Cat 2 - Bandwagon Fan. Likes basketball, but likes being associated with a winning basketball team, hopefully championship winning team, even more so only roots for winning teams and tends to jump to another winning team when the original winning team starts losing or is no longer champion.

Cat 3 - Casual Fan. Likes basketball and is infatuated with one team but doesn't put much stock in whether that team wins or loses. Sure they are happy when their team wins and disappointed when they lose but it really isn't that important in their lives.

Cat 4 - Fan. Loves basketball and loves a team. Winning is joyful and losing hurts, a lot. Sometimes this means during the tough times they may not follow as closely but they are still loyal to their team.

Cat 5 - Die Hard Fan. Loves basketball and is devoted to their team through the best and worst of times and will watch every game including exhibition and summer league and watch the draft to see who their team drafts.

Category 5, please.

Yeah I hate to say that im category five....such a painful category

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The 5 scale omits one necessary category.

- Isn't interested in teams at all, but worships a particular player over and above every other element of the game.

Plenty - PLENTY - of that around the Internet. Thank you, David Stern.

*eyerollemoticon*
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 11:30:17 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Please diagnose my symptoms:

1. I tend to check the boxscores even when I am in the office;
2. I have several dvds of the celtics;
3. I don't watch NBA TV altogether if the celtics lose (on that day only);
4. My mood turns sunny when the Celtics wins;
5. I have several jerseys, and my young son has several t-shirts of the celtics;
6. My wife despises looking the laptop at home when she sees I open celticsblog;

Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 01:02:43 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Holy Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster, that is one sweet sig, brother!

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 01:08:02 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Holy Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster, that is one sweet sig, brother!

Thanks - it's one of 5 Kiorrik made for me due to being supernice and possibly having too much free time  ;)

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 01:12:35 AM »

Kiorrik

Thanks - it's one of 5 Kiorrik made for me due to having too much free time  ;)
Fixed that for you ;)

No worries, all good, enjoy it - it looks good on ya ;) haha

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 01:32:36 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I think you guys that see fans not wanting to watch the Celtics when they are bad are confusing Celtic fans and bandwagon fans.

Cat 2 - Bandwagon Fan. Likes basketball, but likes being associated with a winning basketball team, hopefully championship winning team, even more so only roots for winning teams and tends to jump to another winning team when the original winning team starts losing or is no longer champion.

Cat 3 - Casual Fan. Likes basketball and is infatuated with one team but doesn't put much stock in whether that team wins or loses. Sure they are happy when their team wins and disappointed when they lose but it really isn't that important in their lives.

Cat 4 - Fan. Loves basketball and loves a team. Winning is joyful and losing hurts, a lot. Sometimes this means during the tough times they may not follow as closely but they are still loyal to their team.

Cat 5 - Die Hard Fan. Loves basketball and is devoted to their team through the best and worst of times and will watch every game including exhibition and summer league and watch the draft to see who their team drafts.
This is great.

On Cat 5, however, I'd add reading Celtics books/media/history. I went out of my way last summer to buy Red and Me, When The Game Was Ours, Let Me Tell You A Story, and Bill Russell And The Basketball Revolution. All of these I recommend reading, by the way. 
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 02:26:01 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Yup, I'm definitely cat 4... I find it odd that you decided to use cats rather than dogs, Nick.

Good win tonight, though I'd still be fine with trading everybody other than Rondo and Pierce.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 02:35:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Miami Heat fan.
I use to live in Miami.  Went to a bunch of Heat games back when their best players were like Glen Rice and Steve Smith.  There were some fans.  Not a huge fanbase, but there were some fans who stuck by them.

If you want to see what a bandwagoner looks like, check out all the asian kids in the RealGM "Linsanity" thread saying Lin's ceiling is Michael Jordan... then admitting in the next sentence that they have never really watched basketball before.

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Miami Heat fan.
I use to live in Miami.  Went to a bunch of Heat games back when their best players were like Glen Rice and Steve Smith.  There were some fans.  Not a huge fanbase, but there were some fans who stuck by them.

If you want to see what a bandwagoner looks like, check out all the asian kids in the RealGM "Linsanity" thread saying Lin's ceiling is Michael Jordan... then admitting in the next sentence that they have never really watched basketball before.
My pal became a fan of basketball and the NBA because of Yao Ming. He loves the Rockets, has league pass, and watches almost all of their games. Yet, he is still called a bandwagon even though he's a diehard.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I know one thing. Anyone who hangs out here and posts fairly often is definitely not a bandwagon fan.

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I guess I'm a 4.5-5 somewhere in there.  You should add one thing which I find myself doing.  As I watch other nab games (or college) I find myself scouting players "who would make good celtics".  The draft I rarely watch.
bandwagon fan-people who watch a team when they are winning and are super rah rah
anyone who watched the ml carr episode or pre bird (between the cowens/hondo/jojo championships) knows what it means to be a celtic fan

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »

Kiorrik

Miami Heat fan.

My pal became a fan of basketball and the NBA because of Yao Ming. He loves the Rockets, has league pass, and watches almost all of their games. Yet, he is still called a bandwagon even though he's a diehard.
Yeah, that's how it goes. I mean, you follow a team regardless, but there will always be people that see you in a "different light" because of your past. Oh well.

I call myself a bandwagon fan, since I started watching the NBA in '07 '08, and picked the Celtics at the very start of the season. Main reasons: Rondo, I knew it was a storied franchise, and I liked the chemistry and back-story to the big three. Perk, Posey, House, TA, Scals, PJ, Sam, Powe, Baby, they all *helped* make me love the team.

Too many good stories, and I'm a sucker for that.

Along the way, I started falling in love with the blue collar mentality that surrounds this franchise, the defense-first attitude, and Doc's masterful out-of-time-out plays.

So yeah, I'm a bandwagoner by definition, or used to be, but I'd like to think I've won my fandom by now ;)

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I understand that there are actual bandwagon fans...

But to me it seems like something some fans say just to be elitist and feel more important than the next guy/girl.