Author Topic: Chris Bosh, worthy of a max deal or not?  (Read 5952 times)

Chris Bosh, worthy of a max deal or not?
« on: April 18, 2010, 05:38:31 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
To take our mind of KG, a question. It has been widely reported that Chris Bosh will sign a max deal somewhere this off season. Is he worthy of a max deal?

I say he's not. One winning record in seven years, two play-off berths. A max player does more for his team than this.

Re: Chris Bosh, worthy of a max deal or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:45:47 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Yes.  Very good scorer, good rebounder, solid defensively on the right team.  Pair him with a 2-way star like Wade and you have a rock-solid foundation for several title runs.   
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Yes, Bosh is an All-NBA talent and deserves the max.

His lack of team success is down to poor supporting casts and the complete lack of a second star.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
He's worth it. The dysfunction around the last couple of years of Raptor teams masks the improvements he's made. He's fifth in the league in PER this year. And unlike some players who rack up good numbers on bad teams, Bosh basically kept that Raptor team from falling completely off a cliff this year.

Two things with Bosh:

1) He's not the man. He can be the second best player on a title team, but not the first. He's a great fit in OKC should they pursue him (and OKC is both close enough to and far enough away from his hometown of Dallas).

2) He's not the big time verbal leader you'd like in a max player. In that sense, he could be the PP to someone else's KG.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:57:05 PM by FallGuy »

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:55:37 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
To take our mind of KG, a question. It has been widely reported that Chris Bosh will sign a max deal somewhere this off season. Is he worthy of a max deal?

I say he's not. One winning record in seven years, two play-off berths. A max player does more for his team than this.
There's no doubt that he will get one.

But is he worthy of one?  hmmm

Say a team like the Knicks who have 2 max contracts to offer (am I right about that?) pick up Lebron.  If they then sign Bosh to a max contract, then yeah, I bet in the end it is probably well worth it (those 2 together is the start of a championship caliber team).

But if he were to sign with a bad team, and was signed to be that team's star player, then it probably isn't worth it.  I guess.....

Part of me thinks it would be worth it regardless.  Even if you don't win a championship with him.  You get a face for your franchise and a top 15 player.  

Sorry for changing my mind mid-post.  But it happens.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think Bosh is definitely a max-deal type player. To a certain point, he has been a victim of circumstance on a raptors team that is much too soft and doesn't really possess that inside presence for him to play his natural game effectively.

As Who said, the lack of a second star is also a cause for the shocking season/s the raptors have had.

Bit offtopic, but I cannot believe how much of a failure Turkogolu has been in Toronto. Injuries aside I really though he would step it up.  

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:10 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
He's worth it. The dysfunction around the last couple of years of Raptor teams masks the improvements he's made. He's fifth in the league in PER this year. And unlike some players who rack up good numbers on bad teams, Bosh basically kept that Raptor team from falling completely off a cliff this year.

Two things with Bosh:

1) He's not the man. He can be the second best player on a title team, but not the first. He's a great fit in OKC should they pursue him (and OKC is both close enough to and far enough away from his hometown of Dallas).

2) He's not the big time verbal leader you'd like in a max player. In that sense, he could be the PP to someone else's KG.

OKC with Bosh and Durant, that's scary
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum

Two things with Bosh:

OKC with Bosh and Durant, that's scary
Don't forget about Westbrook.... Or Green..... Or Harden.....Or Sefolosha. 

Wow that really is a squad. 
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I say no. He's very good but not the player who leads you to a title. He would be a very good #2. To me, that's not worth the max.

As for the lack of sucess, Bosh is often compared to KG. KG made the play-offs every year, in a tougher western conference, with 50+ wins a year with a terrible supporting cast. Bosh should be able to at least do that.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I say no. He's very good but not the player who leads you to a title. He would be a very good #2. To me, that's not worth the max.

As for the lack of sucess, Bosh is often compared to KG. KG made the play-offs every year, in a tougher western conference, with 50+ wins a year with a terrible supporting cast. Bosh should be able to at least do that.

Max Money is for All- NBA calibre players, not just the top 5 players in the NBA. Don't believe me, look back at the 2008 championship team when we had three guys making max money.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
No.

I think any guy that is given the max should be able to single handily carry a team.  Bosh cannot single handily carry a team.

I know that doesn't fit with how the NBA works, but that's my philosophy.  If you want to give your Scottie Pippens max deals, hey it can put your team over the top, but don't mistake it as the kind of guy to build around.  A max deal to me means someone you can build around, a second star is not someone you build around.

Building around a guy like Bosh is what will get a team stuck in mediocrity.  Now building around Lebron/Wade/Durant AND Bosh is a different story.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
He would make a perfect complementary star to any of the top players in the league.  He's definitely worthy of a max contract.  

Your team won't be great if he's your best player (see: Gasol, Pau), but if he's your second best player, your team is a contender pretty much automatically.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:21:35 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I don't know. I'm not sure if you could build a team around him. But KG was the main man on a bad team for a long time that did nothing. Was he a max deal guy?
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
No.

I think any guy that is given the max should be able to single handily carry a team.  Bosh cannot single handily carry a team.

I know that doesn't fit with how the NBA works, but that's my philosophy.  If you want to give your Scottie Pippens max deals, hey it can put your team over the top, but don't mistake it as the kind of guy to build around.  A max deal to me means someone you can build around, a second star is not someone you build around.

Building around a guy like Bosh is what will get a team stuck in mediocrity.  Now building around Lebron/Wade/Durant AND Bosh is a different story.
And I agree with most of that.  I think that's a good way to think about it.

But if it brings you a chip then it has to be worth it right?

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

As for the lack of success, Bosh is often compared to KG. KG made the play-offs every year, in a tougher western conference, with 50+ wins a year with a terrible supporting cast. Bosh should be able to at least do that.

Max Money is for All- NBA calibre players, not just the top 5 players in the NBA. Don't believe me, look back at the 2008 championship team when we had three guys making max money.

Agreed