Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 24593 times)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Davis is a superstar, we have stars and some good players.

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Looks like this is somewhat of a tough question. 60% say they'd do it but the other 40% are a mix of not knowing or saying they wouldn't.

Unless the last game was a turning point and he starts balling again, Brown’s value has taken a hit. He’s not going to be the centerpiece of a deal (unless we get a top 5 pick from SAC), so now it’s got to be Tatum.

And I’m still fine with that. I’m pretty sure I’d do both, honestly. Even if they go on to be superstars elsewhere, I don’t know if they could do that with Kyrie and Gordon here.

A consolidating trade will make this team flow a lot better. Morris stays and anchors the bench (Gordon back with starters), bring in a decent guard with MLE if Rozier is not resigned, keep Baynes and Theis.

I wish the Kings Pick was a bit higher and Jaylen could still do extremely well and possibly increase his trade value as well "for when the time comes". But it could also depend on what LAL offers. Frankly if they offer like all 4 of their young guys (Kuzma, Ball, Ingram, Hart) then we'd definitely have to include Tatum but I still wouldn't. If LAL wants to make that trade, they can. I think it hurts them a lot more than people think even if they have AD + Lebron + Max FA (assuming said Max FA is $35M+/year)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2967
  • On To Banner 18!
You know, I keep hearing Lonzo in the trade rumors for AD, and also Leonard during this past summer, but I also wonder if the baggage he carries with his dad and brothers actually affect how other teams view him? I mean could you imagine if NOP traded away Davis for a package involving Lonzo and his dad just throws tantrum after tantrum and rips the Pelicans organization. Whatever is left of that fanbase will just stop caring for the Pelicans then  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Looks like this is somewhat of a tough question. 60% say they'd do it but the other 40% are a mix of not knowing or saying they wouldn't.

Unless the last game was a turning point and he starts balling again, Brown’s value has taken a hit. He’s not going to be the centerpiece of a deal (unless we get a top 5 pick from SAC), so now it’s got to be Tatum.

And I’m still fine with that. I’m pretty sure I’d do both, honestly. Even if they go on to be superstars elsewhere, I don’t know if they could do that with Kyrie and Gordon here.

A consolidating trade will make this team flow a lot better. Morris stays and anchors the bench (Gordon back with starters), bring in a decent guard with MLE if Rozier is not resigned, keep Baynes and Theis.

I wish the Kings Pick was a bit higher and Jaylen could still do extremely well and possibly increase his trade value as well "for when the time comes". But it could also depend on what LAL offers. Frankly if they offer like all 4 of their young guys (Kuzma, Ball, Ingram, Hart) then we'd definitely have to include Tatum but I still wouldn't. If LAL wants to make that trade, they can. I think it hurts them a lot more than people think even if they have AD + Lebron + Max FA (assuming said Max FA is $35M+/year)

We still don’t know where the Kings pick will be. Today they’re 14th. If they dropped three games in the standings they’d be 7th - and who knows how the ping pong balls will land. I still hold out hope for something around 10.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Davis is the best player in the league not named Lebron. If you have a chance to get him, no player on the Celtics is good enough not to be expendable.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
Davis is the best player in the league not named Lebron. If you have a chance to get him, no player on the Celtics is good enough not to be expendable.

Kinda agree.  But not Irving ,   AD won't sign if he is gone.  I think Irving say n he 'll sign with Boston , helps lure AD , knowing they as young guys can be around for the long haul on the same team.  Bron is old and gonna be older next year. .....i m getting more on board with trading Tatum ....which i think trumps any Laker offer .   AD is super special.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

Kinda agree.  But not Irving ,   AD won't sign if he is gone.  I think Irving say n he 'll sign with Boston , helps lure AD , knowing they as young guys can be around for the long haul on the same team.  Bron is old and gonna be older next year. .....i m getting more on board with trading Tatum ....which i think trumps any Laker offer .   AD is super special.
You have Davis next year for sure.  If Boston is winning, why wouldn't Davis stay even if Irving isn't around?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

You have Davis next year for sure.  If Boston is winning, why wouldn't Davis stay even if Irving isn't around?

The Celtics can't trade for Davis until the off season. You have to hope the Lakers don't trade for him before then. And hope Davis doesn't want to be 2nd banana to Lebron. In Boston, he would be top dog, even though Kyrie is currently 3rd in the all star voting behind Lebron and Giannis. Which is a surprise.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I think the goal of an AD deal in essence is to pair Kyrie and AD, not flip Kyrie + others for AD and essentially a marginal upgrade given what we give up including Kyrie

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

We still don’t know where the Kings pick will be. Today they’re 14th. If they dropped three games in the standings they’d be 7th - and who knows how the ping pong balls will land. I still hold out hope for something around 10.

Same. If one (or both) of the Kings/Grizzlies Picks become Top-10, that's good for us, and even if MEM pick doesn't convey it could still be great for us next year. It's Top 8 protected 2019, but just Top 6 protected 2020 I believe. Valuable!

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Same. If one (or both) of the Kings/Grizzlies Picks become Top-10, that's good for us, and even if MEM pick doesn't convey it could still be great for us next year. It's Top 8 protected 2019, but just Top 6 protected 2020 I believe. Valuable!

Kings starting to slip a bit and other teams are beginning to rise as well. Keep the faith!

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Didn't realize this but the last year of AD's contract in 2020 is a player option, which he will likely decline. That means if Ainge deals for Davis next summer, he's only getting him for one season (unless Davis agrees to an extension which I don't think he will)

He also owns a house in LA and shares the same agent as Lebron. No way do I deal for Davis. Too much of a risk as it looks like he has LAKER written all over him.

I'd rather stick with the team we have and keep an eye open for other players. I know Ainge is on the hunt for transcendent players (Durant, Davis) but if the players either decide to go elsewhere or are unattainable, there's not much you can do.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

The Celtics can't trade for Davis until the off season. You have to hope the Lakers don't trade for him before then. And hope Davis doesn't want to be 2nd banana to Lebron. In Boston, he would be top dog, even though Kyrie is currently 3rd in the all star voting behind Lebron and Giannis. Which is a surprise.

yall sell Kyrie short.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

yall sell Kyrie short.

Here I don't think so.  Davis is decidedly better than Kyrie, but both need a fellow all-star to win. 

I don't really care about pecking order; a team of Horford / Davis / Hayward / Brown / Kyrie is good enough to win titles.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Didn't realize this but the last year of AD's contract in 2020 is a player option, which he will likely decline. That means if Ainge deals for Davis next summer, he's only getting him for one season (unless Davis agrees to an extension which I don't think he will)

He also owns a house in LA and shares the same agent as Lebron. No way do I deal for Davis. Too much of a risk as it looks like he has LAKER written all over him.

I'd rather stick with the team we have and keep an eye open for other players. I know Ainge is on the hunt for transcendent players (Durant, Davis) but if the players either decide to go elsewhere or are unattainable, there's not much you can do.

Thibs fired and MIN seems to be going nowhere if we're being honest. It's wild, but could you see them turning their attention to KAT if he's ever made available? I wouldn't entirely rule it out although for now it's obviously unlikely. He did sign that massive extension recently though...