Author Topic: Wilson Chandler signs in China without an opt-out clause  (Read 14201 times)

Re: Wilson Chandler signs in China without an opt-out clause
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 12:11:10 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Further Proof That The Portland Trailblazers Did NOT Need A "Wilson Chandler Type"

Game, blouses.

Hey Princess, let it gooooooooooooooo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mmxjqF8Y-E

Parental Advisory.

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 12:21:54 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Could someone explain to me what the appeal in playing in China is? I realize it's a huge market for the NBA but this is a country that doesn't even allow our Navy to take shelter in their ports. To me that would be reason enough to avoid living or working there at all costs. Greed is not something I subscribe to.
One in hand can be worth more than 2 in the bush. Greed is good. America isn't perfect either.

In the approximate words of Deion Sanders..."Yes I love the game and yes I'd play the game for free, but only if you play it for free too."

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 12:24:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Greg Monroe sucks.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 12:33:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
theres only going to be limited spots though for teams out in the rest of the world. as far as I know, Fbesides china FIBA has stated that NBA players cant sign overseas withotu an opt-out clause.

so, I dont think it helps the players cases really
Management's major weapon in locking out any work force is taking away the workforce's ability to make money because they are richer and can sustain longer in a labor dispute.

But if the labor force can show they can still make substantial money, even though it isn't what it was under their management, they undermine and take away the one major weapon that management has.

So as long as they are making money, does it matter if it is less or whether there is an opt out clause or not? The top talent are still making money off the endorsement deals which in some cases make players more than their NBA contracts. If a major portion of the union is making money through working overseas or coaching or other things, substantial money, it takes away the one real advantage the owners have to leverage the players to come to the bargaining table.

Who cares if there is an opt out clause or not. If there is that's to the player's advantage. If not the player is still making big bucks. Why are they being forced to the bargaining table if they are still making money which is the only thing the owners are taking away from them by locking them out?
In previous sports strikes leagues have hired replacement players and it was major leverage over players.  In this case the players have found replacement leagues and I'm happy they have.
Stern got a bit greedy in a business sense trying to spread the game and now he has to deal with some of the fallout from that. His problem. Now let's see the game grow somewhere else. And since the nba isn't making money it shouldn't bother him, right?  This is why I chuckle at that notion.

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:18 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Not yet discussed here: since the CBA's season ends in April, in a best case scenario, Chandler could still return to the NBA as a hired gun for the playoffs - making up some or all of the difference between his contract with Zhejiang Guangsha and the Nuggets' Q.O.

EDIT - AKA, Corey Brewer signed a three year March deal worth just under $2.5 million a season and won a championship. Although it's also possible Denver matches any such offer and Chandler only gets to play for six weeks. Either way I don't hate the move. At twenty-four he still has a long career ahead of him.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:10:51 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 01:09:32 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Interesting theory ww. How does his restricted status affect that? You've got to think he doesn't like the idea of playing 'platoon swingman' with Gallo and Afflalo, considering both guys are 30 min plus guys. Not when there are a dozen or more teams hungry for a true starting 3. (new jersey chief among them)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 01:16:21 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Ok sure, expose me for the crackpot I am before I come back around to edit my post...

Denver probably matches any March offer. Although who knows what the new CBA will look like. As for the Nuggets, it's probably the RFA status that chafes most. I would've put Chandler at even odds to win the starting 4 job over a couple of personal favorites - Faried and Mozgov.

THE Walker Wiggle
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:22:14 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 05:28:38 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He had an offer from an italian club too ,armani milano.

And I don`t think it was a much lower one.

euroleague + milan VS china ..... it looks like an easy choice

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Now things are getting a little more interesting.  I don't think anyone is crying over Wilson Chandler going overseas, but if more players follow his lead and sign deals without opt-out clauses, then it might in fact light a little bit of a fire under the owners.  I am not counting on it though.  We'll see if anyone who fills seats follows his lead.

I don't see how going across seas helps their positioning in the grand scheme of things:

They're going over seas for fractions of what they'd make here, isn't that essentially what the owners want anyhow?
But in the meantime they are exhibiting there are meaning other areas of employment available to them. It doesn't matter if they are only making 50% because what matters is that while the owners are trying to break them, they are finding other ways to sustain themselves.

If the players show that they can continuously do this then it might force the owners to concede revenue sharing has to be a major portion if not a starting point at sitting back down. The owners might be able to put off one whole year but if the top 10% of the league's players can make due on their endorsement contracts and a good portion of the rest of the players can find employment somewhere else, then the owners are going to eventually see that the players can sustain for a very long period.

If they players can show this then the owners will become divided as those claiming losses will want to continue to hold out whereas those that don't will get a louder voice and those in the middle will start seeing that revenue sharing is a way to compromise to bring the players to the table and make them profitable. The amount of money being made isn't as important as much as the employment being there because those markets can now be opened in other areas such as individual rights licensing, individual endorsements in local markets, tax savings, and other perks.

I say as more and more players sign overseas, the owners will lose more and more power and compromise will bring them to the table faster. If the players don't continue to go overseas then lack of money for the majority of players will force them to the table to compromise.

Either way the first to table because of this will be the loser.

But at the same time, aren't they highlighting the Owner's fundamental point? They have a business that pays it's employees waaaaay more than any other company in the entire world.

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 08:20:34 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Further Proof That The Portland Trailblazers Did NOT Need A "Wilson Chandler Type"

Game, blouses.

I was just saying you needed a player whose skill set is comprable to Wilson Chandler's skill set. Didn't neccessarily have to be THE Wilson Chandler.

I feel like my typo'd, sized 48 font PM that read "PICK WILSON F'N CHANDLER" has really caused you to go on the defense. I meant to say 'PICK someone who shares a similar skill set to WILSON F'N CHANDLER at some point"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:31:34 AM by StartOrien »

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 10:17:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Now things are getting a little more interesting.  I don't think anyone is crying over Wilson Chandler going overseas, but if more players follow his lead and sign deals without opt-out clauses, then it might in fact light a little bit of a fire under the owners.  I am not counting on it though.  We'll see if anyone who fills seats follows his lead.

I don't see how going across seas helps their positioning in the grand scheme of things:

They're going over seas for fractions of what they'd make here, isn't that essentially what the owners want anyhow?
But in the meantime they are exhibiting there are meaning other areas of employment available to them. It doesn't matter if they are only making 50% because what matters is that while the owners are trying to break them, they are finding other ways to sustain themselves.

If the players show that they can continuously do this then it might force the owners to concede revenue sharing has to be a major portion if not a starting point at sitting back down. The owners might be able to put off one whole year but if the top 10% of the league's players can make due on their endorsement contracts and a good portion of the rest of the players can find employment somewhere else, then the owners are going to eventually see that the players can sustain for a very long period.

If they players can show this then the owners will become divided as those claiming losses will want to continue to hold out whereas those that don't will get a louder voice and those in the middle will start seeing that revenue sharing is a way to compromise to bring the players to the table and make them profitable. The amount of money being made isn't as important as much as the employment being there because those markets can now be opened in other areas such as individual rights licensing, individual endorsements in local markets, tax savings, and other perks.

I say as more and more players sign overseas, the owners will lose more and more power and compromise will bring them to the table faster. If the players don't continue to go overseas then lack of money for the majority of players will force them to the table to compromise.

Either way the first to table because of this will be the loser.

But at the same time, aren't they highlighting the Owner's fundamental point? They have a business that pays it's employees waaaaay more than any other company in the entire world.

No. They are highlighting that there are other places to work that will pay them large amounts of money even though those places have a tiny revenue stream as compared to the revenue stream generated by the NBA.

If you work as a COO at Microsoft should Microsoft pay you the same money a company that is a 50th the size would pay you to be a COO there?

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 10:37:24 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
If you work as a COO at Microsoft should Microsoft pay you the same money a company that is a 50th the size would pay you to be a COO there?

But that's not a fair analogy, because people that work at Microsoft could use their skill set with other companies and make comparable money.

At least for the time being, if you're a professional basketball player there's only one company that can you give you SIGNIFICANTLY more money than any other place.

In this case, Wilson Chandler will be playing in China for about 1/3rd of the amount of money he'd make here.

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

But that's not a fair analogy, because people that work at Microsoft could use their skill set with other companies and make comparable money.

At least for the time being, if you're a professional basketball player there's only one company that can you give you SIGNIFICANTLY more money than any other place.

In this case, Wilson Chandler will be playing in China for about 1/3rd of the amount of money he'd make here.

No because if he was working for the NBA he would be making NOTHING this year.

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Furthermore, if the NBA owners get their way, players like Chandler will only be making about 1/3 of what they previously were.  Basically, he got paid in China what NBA owners feel he should be getting paid, when in fact, he would deserve more than that (based on the NBA being a higher revenue generating league).

Good for Chandler for proving that he doesn't need the NBA to get paid.  I hope more players do this, the NBA owners need to get off their high horse.

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

That's undeniably true - but still, in the grand scheme of things I can't help but think this 'trend' (I'm pretty skeptical on some of these players actually going) is just underlining the Owner's point.

Good for Chandler for finding a way to get income, but I don't think this helps the player's positions.