Author Topic: Is there any way we can keep Monroe?  (Read 4915 times)

Is there any way we can keep Monroe?
« on: March 16, 2018, 11:39:58 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I ask you guys who know more than I do about these things.

Re: Is there any way we can keep Monroe?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 12:31:08 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Not sure. Saltlover know?

I think we might be choosing between baynes or Monroe

But I’ve been liking what I’m seeing from Morris a lot 

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:34:39 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
The Mid-Level Exception. It can go as high as $8.4 million, but because of the cap crunch, teams hoping to avoid the tax will offer around $5 million at most.

Whether Monroe comes back depends on if the Celtics want him back. I highly doubt Moose will have big offers this summer since most teams already have a center either to help them win now or in the future. I think the reason why he opted for Boston over New Orleans was because he knows the money has dried up, so he'll take the most money he can get.

I think the MLE will either be used on him or Baynes because there isn't a need for both. Personally, I'm in the "Bring Back Moose" camp.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:38:52 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The Mid-Level Exception. It can go as high as $8.4 million, but because of the cap crunch, teams hoping to avoid the tax will offer around $5 million at most.

Whether Monroe comes back depends on if the Celtics want him back. I highly doubt Moose will have big offers this summer since most teams already have a center either to help them win now or in the future. I think the reason why he opted for Boston over New Orleans was because he knows the money has dried up, so he'll take the most money he can get.

I think the MLE will either be used on him or Baynes because there isn't a need for both. Personally, I'm in the "Bring Back Moose" camp.

It's just so nice to see a Celtic who can bully the opposition on offense.
We haven't had that in a long time.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 01:50:14 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It's not even certain the Celtics will have the full MLE available, themselves.  Boston could very easily find itself paying the lux tax next year if Smart is brought back on a decent sized deal.  Although, with it looking more and more like the Lakers pick isn't going to convey, Boston should probably be able to avoid the tax.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 03:02:21 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
He seems to be enjoying his time here. He's in a unique position where the team needs his offense and he score effectively. Yet, he's smart enough to know when to pass.

Defensively, I wish Al would take him under his wing and teach him how to block shots. He has the length get more of them.

As for next season who knows...Danny cleared house this past summer. Hopefully, the'll be cap space for him. 

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 05:15:35 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I thought we could only offer up to 20% more than current salary.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 08:08:12 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

It's not even certain the Celtics will have the full MLE available, themselves.  Boston could very easily find itself paying the lux tax next year if Smart is brought back on a decent sized deal.  Although, with it looking more and more like the Lakers pick isn't going to convey, Boston should probably be able to avoid the tax.
Monroe and Baynes are complementary centers with Baynes being better defensively which is part of the reason he is still starting.  I personally would like to bring back both.  Daniel Theis is still just a role player.

Frankly, I'd like to keep this team together as much as possible and "just add Hayward & a 1st rounder".  (Cut Nader and/or one of the two-way guys Allen/Bird)  If there was a year to spend on the lux tax, next year would be it, IMO.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
In the numerous Monroe threads since we signed him I thought I saw we can give him somewhere around a 20% increase of the salary we signed him for WITHOUT having to use the MLE to sign him.  So something in the neighborhood of 6 million.

My offseason plan is to sign Monroe that way (I don’t think he will get big offers as only a handful of teams have cap space), sign Baynes again using the MLE (if that falls through another center), trade Morris for a future pick cashing in on his improved play (I don’t see him necessary with Hayward returning-could be a logjam for minutes), re-sign Smart (with Morris’s salary traded away and not having the Lakers pick I think we should still be able to remain under the tax).

It’s not glamorous as it doesn’t include Davis haha but that’s my realistic hope.  Of course Ainge makes moves few of us see coming.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
In the numerous Monroe threads since we signed him I thought I saw we can give him somewhere around a 20% increase of the salary we signed him for WITHOUT having to use the MLE to sign him.  So something in the neighborhood of 6 million.

My offseason plan is to sign Monroe that way (I don’t think he will get big offers as only a handful of teams have cap space), sign Baynes again using the MLE (if that falls through another center), trade Morris for a future pick cashing in on his improved play (I don’t see him necessary with Hayward returning-could be a logjam for minutes), re-sign Smart (with Morris’s salary traded away and not having the Lakers pick I think we should still be able to remain under the tax).

It’s not glamorous as it doesn’t include Davis haha but that’s my realistic hope.  Of course Ainge makes moves few of us see coming.

Morris is way better than a future pick -- presuming it's a second rounder. Plus, I'm not counting on Hayward coming back to 100% until late next season, if that.  As for a minutes logjam, the injury bug always counteracts that problem.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

This is also my understanding of Monroe's contract situation. He's terrific to have around in this role. I'd love to have him back on that kind of deal if he's ok with that money and these mintues.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 01:17:49 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

That's what I would like to see. To me keeping our bigs is more important than Smart/Morris.

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I’m mixed on Monroe. Several dumb turnovers last night’s 4th quarter doesn’t help.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 03:05:06 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's nice to have a low post scorer given that so much of the offense comes from 3's.  The defense has to respect his ability to score so it can't go all out defending the perimeter.  The fact that he can also pass helps a lot as well.

Plus give Brad a summer and a training camp to figure out how best to use him....

I would think they'll want him back and have a decent chance of holding onto him given that his skills aren't in great demand league-wide.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I like Monroe, I like the option of playing in and out basketball, along with the side to side Steven's enjoys. He forces defenses to collapse opening up the 3. His passing is also a plus.

His defense is below average, but for the second team, it not as much of a concern as if he were starting or playing big minutes.