Author Topic: How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?  (Read 88265 times)

Re: How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2019, 03:46:56 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Larry Coon is the man.  So I actually emailed him this at 12:29pm PST, and he responded 5  minutes later at 12:34pm.

Hi Larry,

There's a debate over at CelticStrong about if players like Jaylen Brown or Domantas Sabonis can be traded before the trade deadline this season. (Convo starts here if you care to read it: https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=99978.msg2745111#msg2745111).  There's debate on if their teams have to wait 6 months to trade them (which falls after the trade deadline this season) or they can be traded now (as long as poison pill provisions are met).  Here's what we know:

*Both Brown and Sabonis signed extensions that were announced on 10/21/19

*Per your CBAFAQ #101, it says teams can't trade players "for six months after signing a player to an extension that is over the limit (in terms of years, salary or raises) for an extend-and-trade transaction5 (see question number 95)"

*Both Brown and Sabonis don't appear eligible for extend-and-trade, having signed for 4 year deals, with more than 5% increases from current rookie deal.

*But under question 95, you do have footnote #2 which says: "This does not apply to extensions of rookie scale contracts. For example, the Oklahoma City Thunder traded James Harden to the Houston Rockets on October 27, 2012, and the Rockets signed him to an extension four days later."  But it's unclear if this is only talking about extending a rookie scale contract received in a trade without waiting 6 months, or being able to both trade away an extended rookie scale contract and being able to extend a rookie scale contract received in a trade without waiting the 6 months.

*Per the actual CBA document (https://cosmic-s3.imgix.net/3c7a0a50-8e11-11e9-875d-3d44e94ae33f-2017-NBA-NBPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf) on pages 220-230 it seems only “7(a)” extensions — Veteran extensions — are subject to the six month rule. “7(b)” Rookie Scale extensions are treated under separate rules with no mention of 6 month waiting period.

So in your professional opinion, is it possible to trade Jaylen Brown and Domantas Sabonis before the 2020 trade deadline (assuming appropriate salary/roster provisions are met), or is there a 6 month waiting period to trade them?

And this was his response 5 minutes later:

You got the basic rule correct – the six-month waiting period is designed to keep teams from getting around the extend-and-trade limitations (three seasons, five percent raises) by separating the extension from the trade and doing them as separate transactions. If they’re going to try to do that, then they have to go through the waiting period. But rookie extensions are a different category of extension, so the same rules don’t apply. They can be traded right away, and the timing (extension first or trade first) doesn’t matter.

LC

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2019, 04:06:08 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Well looks like we owe Fierce and apology. Of course the PPP provision makes it very hard to trade Jaylen anyway and the Celtics also wont do it just because he's good and its dumb to trade a good 23 year old wing so we are kind of arguing over nothing.

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2019, 04:27:55 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
My apologies. Guess Coon is wrong, as well as myself.
is that even possible???  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Well looks like we owe Fierce and apology. Of course the PPP provision makes it very hard to trade Jaylen anyway and the Celtics also wont do it just because he's good and its dumb to trade a good 23 year old wing so we are kind of arguing over nothing.

I agree.

No need to trade Brown right now.
He's playing at an All-Star level.

Before he signed the extension, I said Ainge should trade Brown if Brown insists on the max.

Reason is if Brown gets the max, it would hurt the Celts' salary cap situation in the long term.

But since Brown agreed to take less than the max, it's a win for Jaylen, the Celtics, and Celtic fans.

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2019, 04:50:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I agree.

No need to trade Brown right now.
He's playing at an All-Star level.

Before he signed the extension, I said Ainge should trade Brown if Brown insists on the max.

Reason is if Brown gets the max, it would hurt the Celts' salary cap situation in the long term.

But since Brown agreed to take less than the max, it's a win for Jaylen, the Celtics, and Celtic fans.

Ya I'd even if he didn't improve at all from how he's playing now he'd probably be worth his contract, but I'd also say he'll likely get even better. So its looking good right now.

« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2020, 10:00:43 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I presume it would have to be a 3 way trade with sign and trade Hayward to Charlotte.  What would it take to get Bogdanovic from Sacramento though?

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
New topic:

Theoretical question:  Could Celts sign Daniel Theis this summer using a mid level exception OR would they have to wait until the one year anniversary of the date they traded him to Chicago before they would be eligible to obtain him?  Again just theoretical....thanks in advance.

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2021, 09:46:06 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
New topic:

Theoretical question:  Could Celts sign Daniel Theis this summer using a mid level exception OR would they have to wait until the one year anniversary of the date they traded him to Chicago before they would be eligible to obtain him?  Again just theoretical....thanks in advance.

You can sign a player who’s prior contract with you would have expired.

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2021, 03:52:12 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
This isn't a salary cap question, but it is a rule question:

How many players are allowed to dress for a game?

I remember maybe 10 years ago a team could dress 13,  but I feel like the number has been increased.

Can anyone confirm?

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2021, 03:56:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This isn't a salary cap question, but it is a rule question:

How many players are allowed to dress for a game?

I remember maybe 10 years ago a team could dress 13,  but I feel like the number has been increased.

Can anyone confirm?

Pretty sure it was 15 last season, due to Covid, otherwise it should be 13 if I recall correctly. Not sure what they agreed to this season. At least as far as active roster is concerned, not sure if that is equal to dressing or not.

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2021, 04:35:30 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2022, 02:53:39 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
If teams use Bi Annual or Mid Level exceptions they become hard capped - what about using a traded player exception?

Specifically, could the C's use the full Evan Fournier TPE of 17.1 million this summer, even if it took them over the hard cap limit of roughly 153.5 million? - provided that they don't use the Bi or Mid....

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2022, 02:55:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If teams use Bi Annual or Mid Level exceptions they become hard capped - what about using a traded player exception?

Specifically, could the C's use the full Evan Fournier TPE of 17.1 million this summer, even if it took them over the hard cap limit of roughly 153.5 million? - provided that they don't use the Bi or Mid....

If they trade for a player under contract, we do not become hard-capped.

If we trade for a free agent via sign-and-trade, we become hard-capped.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2022, 09:02:46 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

So.... when is a sign & trade not a sign & trade, but rather a sign and then after a period of time just a trade?

What triggers the distinction between the two scenarios?  Passage of time, games played?

Is there a "work around" to a sign & trade?

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2022, 11:16:55 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

So.... when is a sign & trade not a sign & trade, but rather a sign and then after a period of time just a trade?

What triggers the distinction between the two scenarios?  Passage of time, games played?

Is there a "work around" to a sign & trade?

A player who is signed in free agency can’t be traded until December 15th or January 15th (depending on the type of contract).  This is to get around that loophole — he’d have to play half a season with another team before the trade was made.