Author Topic: Is Tatum better than Pierce?  (Read 4042 times)

Re: Is Tatum better than Pierce?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 10:24:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Tatum is Paul George
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 10:37:28 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Heck no

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 10:42:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 10:49:22 PM »

Kiorrik

Does JT have plays like PP has?

Does he have stuff like;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfcq1ft0FRI

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2022, 10:50:12 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
nevermind...lol
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:57:14 PM by blink »

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 10:54:34 PM »

Kiorrik

if you mean in general, ie over their whole career taking everything in to account, Tatum is no where near Paul Pierce right now.

maybe Tatum needs his own KG?  either way, I don't see the dog in Tatum enough, I don't see the ability to stop a run by the other team, or the toughness.  It is ok though, Tatum still is super young.  He might be better than PP in 2-3 years.

Well, obviously comparing Tatum and his achievements to any HOF member is kinda silly early, so let's say "up until the same point in their careers" :)

So yeah, I actually think most people assess it similarly; Tatum's got some of the skills, but not sure if he's got the heart.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 11:36:09 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I agree with most, but I gotta say: Pierce in his early years was a huge knucklehead and this talk of “the captain” and the gritty clutch winner. Then KG came along and the rest is history. I LOVE Paul Pierce. But when you ask “who is better” it’s gotta be apples to apples. And until this point in their careers they’re very similar.

Tatum has the goods to be a Final MVP, just like Pierce. He could get there and I hope he does.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 11:42:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
 What separates them is the type of players they are.  Tatum might be the most finesse player in the entire league.  Pierce was much more aggressive, and used his strength to his advantage.

It’s a waste of time to compare their skills and stats because the league has changed so much.

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 11:59:00 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
if you mean in general, ie over their whole career taking everything in to account, Tatum is no where near Paul Pierce right now.

maybe Tatum needs his own KG?  either way, I don't see the dog in Tatum enough, I don't see the ability to stop a run by the other team, or the toughness.  It is ok though, Tatum still is super young.  He might be better than PP in 2-3 years.

Well, obviously comparing Tatum and his achievements to any HOF member is kinda silly early, so let's say "up until the same point in their careers" :)

So yeah, I actually think most people assess it similarly; Tatum's got some of the skills, but not sure if he's got the heart.

I mean, Tatum's heart dropped 60 as he dragged the Celtics almost single-handedly back from a hilarious deficit against the Spurs last year.  His best teammate in that game was Aaron freakin' Nesmith.

Tatum's heart put 50 on the Nets in the playoffs last year, stealing a game from a team that sorely outclassed us. 

I don't really question his heart.  Basketball intelligence?  Sure, I question that.  Physicality?  Absolutely - he plays soft and settles way too often for how big he is.  But heart, nah.  I know he wants it.  I just don't think he knows how to get it. 

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 12:11:43 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
It’s inherently unfair to compare a completed career vs one that’s just starting. Tatum is a better player than Pierce if they were on the same timeline. He has more talent, a better shot, a better handle, a better rebounder, and probably a better defender due to his size. Pierce also wasn’t always the “leader” he eventually became (Walker was more the leader then, I’d say) and he was probably more immature than Tatum iirc.

The edge Pierce has over Tatum are: drawing fouls and clutch gene. Sure, Tatum has made some big shots but Pierce always had “it” in my eyes. Like I always felt like the Truth was always going to make the big bucket down the stretch. Can’t say the same for Tatum. Admittedly, I might be biased on this because I’m a big Pierce fan.

Build a franchise around: Tatum
Take the last shot to win it all: Pierce

- LilRip

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2022, 01:40:55 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Heck to the no. Even though Tatum was on pace to pass Pierce at 19 when Pierce made those comments.  I absolutely hated it. Just to early.  Pierce 10 tines tougher than Tatum.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2022, 02:54:41 AM »

Kiorrik

I mean, Tatum's heart dropped 60 as he dragged the Celtics almost single-handedly back from a hilarious deficit against the Spurs last year.  His best teammate in that game was Aaron freakin' Nesmith.

Tatum's heart put 50 on the Nets in the playoffs last year, stealing a game from a team that sorely outclassed us. 

I don't really question his heart.  Basketball intelligence?  Sure, I question that.  Physicality?  Absolutely - he plays soft and settles way too often for how big he is.  But heart, nah.  I know he wants it.  I just don't think he knows how to get it.

Okay, we're just using different definitions for the word "heart", but talking about the same thing.

I agree with everything. He's playing soft, and seems to expect fouls too much.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2022, 03:20:43 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I was a Ray Allen fan and through him became a fan of the C's. Something about being able to destroy your opponents with jumpshots that really appealed to me at the time.

But Pierce's elbow jumper was automatic. Tatum doesn't have that now for whatever reason.

When the C's played the Suns earlier this season, again the C's got into an early deficit - Chris Paul was able to nail jumpers whenever the C's tried to get close. Blowout loss.

The mid-range jumper is not efficient, but basketball is not played on spreadsheets by machines. Free the mid-range shots for the Jays for god's sakes.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2022, 03:55:04 AM »

Kiorrik

I was a Ray Allen fan and through him became a fan of the C's. Something about being able to destroy your opponents with jumpshots that really appealed to me at the time.

But Pierce's elbow jumper was automatic. Tatum doesn't have that now for whatever reason.

When the C's played the Suns earlier this season, again the C's got into an early deficit - Chris Paul was able to nail jumpers whenever the C's tried to get close. Blowout loss.

The mid-range jumper is not efficient, but basketball is not played on spreadsheets by machines. Free the mid-range shots for the Jays for god's sakes.

Yeah I think this highlighted bit hits me.

There's some teams/people that have a shot that's "automatic".

And the only one on our team at the moment, that doesn't make me clench my cheeks when they heave up a shot, is JRich's midrange jumper.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 04:37:46 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Pierce took a poorly constructed roster to a 49 win and ECF with Walker. And also a Finals MVP. Until Tatum achieves similar feats, its no contest.

Also, he should ask Pierce for a training camp instead of trying so hard to be Kobe