Author Topic: Is Tatum better than Pierce?  (Read 4047 times)

Is Tatum better than Pierce?
« on: January 14, 2022, 09:07:12 PM »

Kiorrik

See topic title. I'm sure it's been covered but I'd love to hear people's opinions.

I didn't start watching the NBA until 2007 (yup. all downhill from there) and as such, I don't have the perspective most of you have. I've not seen the struggles. I've just seen the WINNING :]

Is he better as a playmaker? A leader? A shooter? On drives? In transition? Etc.

Very curious what the answers will be :)

Re: Is Tatum better than Pierce?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:18:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's a good question if you just compare at similar ages. Tatum and Pierce at age 23 had extremely similar stats. Actually Brown and Pierce at 25 had very similar stats.

I think Pierce was a better defender than both and had a higher BBIQ than both. Maybe that's because in his formative years Pierce spent 3 years under one of the greatest college basketball coaches ever in Roy Williams and was better developed at an early age. Not sure.

I also think Pierce was tougher physically and mentally than the Jays. Brown is a better athlete than Pierce. Tatum a more polished product than Pierce. But The Captain was a better basketball player than both....at similar ages.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:19:30 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
When he WINS something then let's talk.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 09:21:06 PM »

Kiorrik

It's a good question if you just compare at similar ages. Tatum and Pierce at age 23 had extremely similar stats. Actually Brown and Pierce at 25 had very similar stats.

I think Pierce was a better defender than both and had a higher BBIQ than both. Maybe that's because in his formative years Pierce spent 3 years under one of the greatest college basketball coaches ever in Roy Williams and was better developed at an early age. Not sure.

I also think Pierce was tougher physically and mentally than the Jays. Brown is a better athlete than Pierce. Tatum a more polished product than Pierce. But The Captain was a better basketball player than both....at similar ages.

My initial impression was I'd pick Pierce any day of the week because of his competitive drive.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 09:23:31 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Pierce wasn’t much of a leader at Tatum’s age. That came later after he survived getting stabbed. He had to learn to be a play maker too, just like Tatum’s trying to do. Probably about even on that too at the same point in their careers.

Paul made some clutch shots during his career, in big moments but a lot of those were mid range. Tatum’s got a better shot even though he’s struggling this year.

Where Paul was clearly better is the mid range drive and iso game. He always seemed to have a plan on how he was going to get his shot off. Tatum much less so. Jayson has moves but doesn’t seem to know how to pace or string them together the way Paul did. And he’s not as clutch even though he wants to be.

Transition is probably similar to the isolation game, Paul either had better vision or a better idea of what to do. Neither of them are on Bird’s level.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 09:34:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Where’s the poll? Tatum has more talent. Is he better? Not yet.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 09:39:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tatum is a better 3pt shooter and I actually think is less selfish and a more willing passer early careers but that's about it. Pierce has him beat everywhere else. Drives, playmaker, getting to the line, rebounding in the clutch, clutch shots/minutes, leadership, come from behind grit, defense and more. Pierce came in more polished and thrusted into leading the team.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 09:41:03 PM »

Kiorrik

Where’s the poll? Tatum has more talent. Is he better? Not yet.

I don't think it's a black and white answer. Hence no poll. Also I'm fishing for background info and stuff :)

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 09:45:47 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

My initial impression was I'd pick Pierce any day of the week because of his competitive drive.

I’m with you 100%.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 09:46:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pierce had a better feel for the game and was tougher and more aggressive. 

Tatum has more natural talent, size and potential.

If I had to choose one guy to win a game, I’m taking Pierce.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 09:48:25 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
**** no

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 09:49:01 PM »

Offline bigperm47

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Not even close, he isn’t a leader and we will never win with him as the primary option.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 10:05:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Kinda what I meant about mental toughness.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 10:05:59 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
id put pierce ahead in every category
at this point i don't think its even close
tatum has a long way to go

and yeah the biggest thing may be paul played w a chip on his shoulder and had the fire right from the start.

i don't see that in tatum

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 10:19:50 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Tatum is more talented and has better size but Pierce could grift and was mentally tough. I’d choose the guy that could grift and get you points even when he was having a down shooting night.