Author Topic: Stopping Anthony Davis is the key to Stopping Lakers  (Read 3444 times)

Re: Stopping Anthony Davis is the key to Stopping Lakers
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 10:21:35 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I kinda like the way the Celtics matchup with the Lakers & their chances in a series.

The biggest problem right now, though, is getting by MIA.  Still a tough task.   If C's win on Weds, I'll feel real good about taking the series.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 10:26:32 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
TL is resting up for AD duty.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I kinda like the way the Celtics matchup with the Lakers & their chances in a series.

The biggest problem right now, though, is getting by MIA.  Still a tough task.   If C's win on Weds, I'll feel real good about taking the series.

Definitely true about Miami.

If we matchup with the Lakers, I'll definitely be hoping we can channel the 2004 Pistons.  Sadly, we're missing a Ben Wallace.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 10:36:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Davis can average 50 points per game against us or the Heat if we/them manage to completely lock down LeBron lol. The one who's driving the Laker offence is LeBron, not Davis.

The stats would argue that Davis has been the much more dominant scorer.
Box stats aren't everything basketball statistics have to offer, and analytics (yes they're actually two different things) say that a combination of elite scoring and playmaking drives offences more than huge scoring from finishing (not saying that AD can't playmake, he's a really good one for a big, but he won't be doing that much if he is forced to score oodles of points as a finisher - that's his role in the Laker offence).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Davis can average 50 points per game against us or the Heat if we/them manage to completely lock down LeBron lol.
yeah .... good luck with that
Why haven't we thought of that one before?
Stop LBJ, sounds easy.  :D
Because he has played with an elite perimeter creator for much of the past decade (only exception are the last two seasons and 2010) who can command significant defensive attention by themselves. If we have to choose one player to "stop" I'd choose LeBron every single time.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Definitely true about Miami.

If we matchup with the Lakers, I'll definitely be hoping we can channel the 2004 Pistons.  Sadly, we're missing a Ben Wallace.
To be fair we do have more offensive firepower than that Pistons team - they were powered by Billups and Hamilton with Sheed as their third guy, we have four players who can really attack defences (ntm Theis is a better offensive player than Ben Wallace, which provides us additional value).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:58 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Me too. We caused them a lot of problems in the regular season meetings.

I do not understand the inferiority complex some folks seem to have about playing the Lakers in the Finals. The Lakers are not some unstoppable force that is miles better than anyone else. They are very good but so are we. So are Miami.

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 10:43:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I do not understand the inferiority complex some folks seem to have about playing the Lakers in the Finals. The Lakers are not some unstoppable force that is miles better than anyone else. They are very good but so are we. So are Miami.
^this. I'm not sure why we should we fear the Lakers that much assuming we get to the finals and the Nuggets don't 3-1 the Lakers 8)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 10:47:45 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Of all the incarnations of Lebron that the Celtics have faced in the playoffs post 2010, I think this Celtics team is best equipped to take his squad down.  It's just a matter of getting there.  That's what has been so frustrating about the MIA series.  It's making that a lot tougher via mostly self inflicted ways.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 11:14:37 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Of all the incarnations of Lebron that the Celtics have faced in the playoffs post 2010, I think this Celtics team is best equipped to take his squad down.  It's just a matter of getting there.  That's what has been so frustrating about the MIA series.  It's making that a lot tougher via mostly self inflicted ways.

I actually think that the pressure Miami is applying is a necessary step for this group. They have the talent to win, but they need to work out how to handle the pressure and the end of game situations. It feels like Brown and Tatum are 90% ready, but need to make one more step. If they can grind this out against Miami, they will be better prepared to beat the Lakers.