Author Topic: Podcast: Should the Lakers trade for Kyrie Irving if they miss out on LeBron?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
sign and trade for Thomas?

Ha ha.  In all seriousness, trading Irving for prospects just doesn't make sense for this Celtics team.  I think in a vacuum though Ingram and Ball/Kuzma for Irving is probably solid value given the uncertainty with both Irving's knee and contract situation.  Again though, that type o trade makes no sense for Boston in its current position.  Now if there was a 3rd team with a star coming back to Boston in the trade, that would make more sense. 

Something like

Bos - Kawhi, Ball
LAL - Irving,
SAS - Ingram, Morris, Rozier, Bos 19 1st

In a vacuum, that seems like reasonable enough value for all 3 teams.  Though unless Leonard and Irving both ask out, I don't see why either of those teams would make that trade.

If Irving asked out of Boston...The Celtics would gladly add Leonard...

But the above trade shafts the Spurs and the Lakers make out like bandits.  So:

To Boston:  Leonard, Lakers 2018 first
To Lakers:  Irving
To Spurs:  Ingram, Ball, Morris, Clippers pick, Memphis pick, Lakers 2020 first

a little better but I think the Spurs still reject it...they'd want Sac pick instead of Memphis/LA picks...then it gets too pricey for Celtics.
slight problem there --  the Laker's first round pick this year belongs to Philly

Oh..I meant pick 25.
so C's give up Kyrie, Morris, Clips Pick and Memphis pick for Kawhi and a late 1st?

call me crazy but I'd pass unless Kyrie was forcing his way out of town which isn't the case right now.  I'm just not as enamored with Kawhi as many other are.  terrific player but I don't see him as that much better than Kyrie to justify that extra cost especially when we're already in excellent shape on the wings with Hayward, Brown and Tatum. 

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Ha ha.  In all seriousness, trading Irving for prospects just doesn't make sense for this Celtics team.  I think in a vacuum though Ingram and Ball/Kuzma for Irving is probably solid value given the uncertainty with both Irving's knee and contract situation.  Again though, that type o trade makes no sense for Boston in its current position.  Now if there was a 3rd team with a star coming back to Boston in the trade, that would make more sense. 

Something like

Bos - Kawhi, Ball
LAL - Irving,

In a vacuum, that seems like reasonable enough value for all 3 teams.  Though unless Leonard and Irving both ask out, I don't see why either of those teams would make that trade.

a little better but I think the Spurs still reject it...they'd want Sac pick instead of Memphis/LA picks...then it gets too pricey for Celtics.
slight problem there --  the Laker's first round pick this year belongs to Philly

Oh..I meant pick 25.

If we are able to send out Irving and two mid-first round picks to get Kawhi (significant upgrade over KI) and Ball (2d pick in last year’s draft) that is a major heist. I know people like to dump on Ball, because Lavar, but he improved over the year and has a good motor and some clear NBA skills.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Something like

Bos - Kawhi, Ball
LAL - Irving,

Oh..I meant pick 25.
so C's give up Kyrie, Morris, Clips Pick and Memphis pick for Kawhi and a late 1st?

call me crazy but I'd pass unless Kyrie was forcing his way out of town which isn't the case right now.  I'm just not as enamored with Kawhi as many other are.  terrific player but I don't see him as that much better than Kyrie to justify that extra cost especially when we're already in excellent shape on the wings with Hayward, Brown and Tatum.
Yeah he claims the Spurs were getting shafted and then makes a trade where the Spurs make out like bandits.  Leonard is in the last year of his deal and hasn't played in months.  If he asks out, the Spurs aren't going to be doing all that well in a trade.  I firmly believe the original trade I had would be pretty solid value for them.  They get Ingram, Rozier, a future 1st, as well as a solid vet on a good contract in Morris.  That is a pretty decent return for a player that basically missed the entire season, is in the last year of his contract, and isn't going to return when his contract is up. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Def need to trade Kyrie ASAP now that Rozier has careered it at a whopping 40% shooting clip.  Preferably in a deal for a couple nice wings to create more of a log jam for minutes there. 

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
LOL. There is literally nothing they could offer us that would convince Ainge to do this.

They have no guards who would start on this team, no wings and no bigs either. Unless DA and Brad want a team made entirely of wings they’re dreaming

So not even for Ingram?

I do like Kuzma and Hart but these pieces wouldnt be enough

I don't get why anybody would feel that Ingram or Kuzma has more than middle of the road trade value.  Those guys both look like borderline starter material to me.

You think Ingram is a borderline starter? 

17 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 39.0% 3PT%?

Which bench players are producing like that, let alone at 20 years old?

I consider stats from teams winning 35 or less games almost "empty" stats.  Ingram had the 4th highest RPM on the 35-win Lakers last year.  He was 56th in RPM for SF's out of 92.  He was 41st in WINS out of 92 for small forwards.  He was 54th in defensive RPM out of the 92 SF's. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0gtnOXAp-U

His team and his stats do not make him a borderline starter.

Smitty77

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Now rumors swirling that the Nuggets are interested in Lebron  ;D

He is going to take the league for hostage come July 1st.   Hopefully he decides quickly

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
They've got nothing that helps us that's equal value to Kyrie right now.