Author Topic: Rondo threw fit and called out Big Three during Miami series  (Read 31847 times)

Rondo threw fit and called out Big Three during Miami series
« on: December 13, 2011, 04:06:21 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
The whispers that trailed Rondo out of Kentucky still are in his NBA wake. His intellect and heart are unquestioned, but there are times when he leaves on a temperamental journey — when his internal drive is unleashed on others with destructive force.

“I’ve got to take myself out of the equation,” Rondo said the other day. “It’s about the team. I’ve been saying all I want to do is win a championship, so I have to live it. I have to walk it. I can’t just talk it. I know I have to be better.”

Better than he was during the video session between Games 2 and 3 of the Miami Heat series in last spring’s playoffs.

According to multiple sources, Rondo’s errors were being pointed out when he arose and began discussing the mistakes of his teammates. Loudly. Using harsh language.

Coach Doc Rivers got up and fired back, and Rondo threw a bottle that shattered the video screen. He bolted from the practice facility and was prevented from returning when he tried later.

“It had nothing to do with Doc,” Rondo said of the outburst. “Doc said something to me because nobody else said something to me. But it wasn’t directed toward Doc. I was frustrated about the loss. I think we were 0-2, I was on film a lot and I was frustrated. Doc wasn’t even running the clips. I was just venting. Lawrence Frank and coach (Armond) Hill were running the film session. Doc was just sitting on the floor. I was just frustrated, and I wanted things to be addressed that weren’t being addressed. It’s as simple as that. I stood up and I did what I did. Doc stood up and said something, and that was it. I stormed out and left. That was it.

“I went home that night and thought about my actions. I talked to KG (Kevin Garnett), and I came back the next day and apologized to the team.”

There are differences regarding minor details — Rondo says he threw a water bottle, others say it was an iced tea container — but the larger points are corroborated all around. The Celtics went on to win Game 3 against the Heat behind Garnett’s dominant performance and Rondo’s inspirational return after a gruesome left elbow dislocation.

So which Rondo is Rondo? Is he the suitcase full of petulance that stiff-armed his teammates when the Celtics were in trouble? Or is he the selfless soldier who risked his own well-being to help win a second-round playoff game?

I may have my incidents, but each year I think I’ve handled criticism a lot better, I’ve been a lot more patient, and I think I’ve grown. KG actually came up to me and told me he was proud of me at how mature I’ve seemed in the first few days. But it’s not just two days; it’s going to have to be consistent throughout the season. That’s what P (captain Paul Pierce [stats]) told me the other day: You can’t pick and choose when you’re going to be a leader. You have to do it every day. That’s the biggest thing for me. It’s not just in the games, it’s in practice and in shootarounds in the morning. . . . I’m the first guy out there that people are looking at. You know, I’ve got the ball, so if I’m going to lollygag, then it’s like, OK, well, we’ve got the day off. That can’t be.

“There can’t be any inconsistency about that as far as in my game this year. And there won’t be, because I’ve embraced that role. All eyes are on me, and I’m OK with that.”

If what Rondo is saying is true, then his eyes should peer out from a Celtics uniform until he plays no more.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?&articleid=1388025&format=&page=1&listingType=celt#artic

I thought this article was interesting. I'm thinking maybe our bad play in the playoffs could have been in big part to chemistry issues in that Miami series no one was aware about. This makes me all more pumped and curious how as to how Rondo is going to respond this season. If he can have a huge breakout year like like he did I think the previous one, when he came out the first weeks and was breaking assist records but is consistent watch out.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Rondo threw fit and called out Big Three during Miami series
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:23:02 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Nice to see Rondo love on these forums :D

Of course, nice to see that this guy would do anything to win.

TP

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:38:11 AM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Maturity is a sign of greatness!
I'm one of those lobbying for Rondo to be traded for CP3, but as long as he is here and he keeps his head straight, I'll be cheering for Rajon. Hopefully the playoff loss and the trade rumors will only make him tougher and better. Can't wait for the season to start!

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:06:06 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Petulant pouty guys into their mid-20's seldom turn it off with the flick of a switch.  (Example: Big Baby)

But with these first few days it sounds as if the C's interest in trading Rondo may have got through to him, and he really is going to try to act less like a team drag and more like a team leader for the next generation.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 06:34:30 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Obviously an overreaction, but I do think the Big 3 needed a kick in the ass next year to wake them up a bit.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:39:48 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
How and when did this leak?

Ronod's reputation clearly hurt his trade value this offseason.

That being said I am thrilled he is still here.

I would have only traded him for CP3 and no one else so Im glad Danny didnt panic and pull the trigger on a lesser player or include more picks.

Good to hear Rondo is paying lip service to leadership and acknowledging he had issues in the past.

I've been quite impresed with his public appearances. He looks like he is taking more accountability now than ever.

It will go a long way for this team as he is the leader now.

He is going to have to provide that steady influence because KG, Pierce, and Ray might not have it every night. Rondo is going to have to pull it out of them on their 4th game in 5 nights, or 5 in 6...

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 06:48:13 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I was never in favor of trading Rondo.  Like every person, he's a work in progress.  He can't help but see his attitude post-trade last year impacted the team, and he also will realize that any pouting about the CP3 trade effort won't help him or anyone else.  From what I've seen, this guy has a lot of pride and confidence and I expect that he'll want to "show the world" this season. The desire to prove Ainge wrong may prove to be a powerful motivator.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 07:15:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am glad he cares.   Worse things is guys like LeBron who show no emotion when they lose.  At least, Rondo cares about winning and we can gain from this that he is a proud young man.  Nothing is worse than guys who don't care.  You don't think Larry or Russell would have got angry about a loss or chew out a team mate?  Guess again.

http://lexnihilnovi.blogspot.com/2010/06/1984-nba-finals-bird-calls-teams-bunch.html

As for calling out the Big Three, we don't know if this was done at the session.  If Rondo was being the whipping boy then I have no problem with him calling them out some.   Bottom line is everyone needed called out that series.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:19:24 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I am glad he cares.   Worse things is guys like LeBron who show no emotion when they lose.  At least, Rondo cares about winning and we can gain from this that he is a proud young man.  Nothing is worse than guys who don't care.  You don't think Larry or Russell would have got angry about a loss or chew out a team mate?  Guess again.

http://lexnihilnovi.blogspot.com/2010/06/1984-nba-finals-bird-calls-teams-bunch.html

As for calling out the Big Three, we don't know if this was done at the session.  If Rondo was being the whipping boy then I have no problem with him calling them out some.   Bottom line is everyone needed called out that series.

TP. Love guys who play with passion, with a chip on their shoulder, with loyalty for their team.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Obviously an overreaction, but I do think the Big 3 needed a kick in the ass next year to wake them up a bit.

If he did that after game one they might have come back to Boston tied in the series.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 08:07:35 AM »

Offline deekhead

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Rondo apparently gets to call out teammates but can't handle it when he is called out.

Quite the enfant terrible young Rondo is.

This should come as no surprise to anyone who has watched him pout.

Had enough teammates?

Had enough DA?

DH

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 08:11:38 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
See thats what I like about him. He's not afraid to get into it with any one on his team. As long its for the right reasons its a good thing.

I just wonder if CP3 would have the guts to do that. Not sure, some thing to be questioned going in a trade, playing with these players, would he just give in to KG when he's chewing him out, or would he fight back and get his point across.

Passion is one of the things you can't teach or learn or get better at. Its there or its not.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's a difference between leadership and petulance.  Unfortunately, most of the "incidents" involving Rondo seem to be more about being immature and not having control over his emotions as they do him trying to inspire his teammates.

He's a great PG, but as he admits, he needs to show more emotional consistency and quit being so dang moody and pouty.  If his passion is about winning, great.  If it's about his own personal feeling of being slighted -- which it usually appears to be -- then he needs to grow up and get over it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 08:15:22 AM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Yeah I kind of wish ROndo was able to take criticism better, especially if he wants to call himself the leader of this team.

I am very happy we kept him. WHat is he, like 25 ? He has overacheived huge for the 21st pick in a draft.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 08:16:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
See thats what I like about him. He's not afraid to get into it with any one on his team. As long its for the right reasons its a good thing.

Throwing an iced tea bottle through a television when his coach is talking too him is not, in my mind, a good thing.  Also, I'm not sure that feeling slighted because the criticism is being pointed at him during film study is the "right reason".

Rondo admits these things.  Rondo admits that he's putting his own emotions in front of the good of the team, and states that he needs to get better at controlling himself.  I'm surprised (or not surprised) that fans overlook that and defend his actions as a good thing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes