Author Topic: Rondo threw fit and called out Big Three during Miami series  (Read 31905 times)

Re: Rondo threw fit and called out Big Three during Miami series
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2011, 05:14:37 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Rondo's scoring stats might go up, once the Big 3 are gone, but we won't be winning as much regardless of who Ainge surrounds Rondo with.

I truly believe the Big 3 are the best suitable players for Rondo.

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2011, 05:18:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo's scoring stats might go up, once the Big 3 are gone, but we won't be winning as much regardless of who Ainge surrounds Rondo with.

I think he'd do great with younger, more athletic players that could run the court with him and finish off more inside passes. Again, he won't look great with a team that CP3 or Deron would be in the lottery with. He won't win without decent talent around him, but unless you have an all-time great in their prime that's probably the case.

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Words are wind.

Changing yourself is hard. [dang] hard. And it keeps getting harder the older you get. If you want to doubt that Rondo has actually turned over a new leaf, I'd say you probably would have every reason to do so until he proves otherwise with his actions.

But for some reason, I'm cautiously optimistic about Rondo actually maturing into a true leader. Why? If you read between the lines, what he's saying is actually an acknowledgement that he needs to change. There's a difference between "I made a mistake" and "I need to improve." Rondo seems to know that he's not perfect, which can only mean that he intends to get better at being a leader.

Here's hoping.

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »

Offline Corey

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
Loved Pierce's comments today about Rondo though. He called Rondo the team's best player and said he needed to step up and take on a full-time leadership role. He also said he thinks Rondo is gonna have a breakout season and be an MVP candidate... time will tell
That's called babying a player with blatant maturity issues.

Feed him his bottle, tell him he's great, or you're going to get tantrums.

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Well, they provide a good blueprint.  Get the best three-point shooting wing who isn't a defensive liability.  Fill the other wing spot with a guy who can also nail threes but who can also score on isolation plays.  Get at least one big who can hit jumpers. 

It would be hard to find three more HOF players to stick around Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Loved Pierce's comments today about Rondo though. He called Rondo the team's best player and said he needed to step up and take on a full-time leadership role. He also said he thinks Rondo is gonna have a breakout season and be an MVP candidate... time will tell
That's called babying a player with blatant maturity issues.

Feed him his bottle, tell him he's great, or you're going to get tantrums.

Comments like these lead me to believe people wildly overestimate the maturity level of the average nba players.

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
Let's assume that with roughly $30 Million in cap space next summer, we can land at least one legit max level player over the next 1-3 years through free agency.

And let's assume we've also accumulated some nice young players during those 1-3 years of rebuilding through the draft or other trades. You don't think a Rondo lead team could compete for a ring?

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
I think Rondo is a highly intelligent guy who is incredibly tough minded and passionate about what he does.

He probably has not yet, at age 24/25, completely developed his "diplomatic" skills.

Anyone remember the ace bandage incident with Pierce after the Indiana loss?

Anyone remember Pierce getting into it with Doc about 5 years ago, when he was oh....28 or 29?

Anyone remember the old, pouting Pierce on the bench?

Can we give Rondo some breathing room? The kid is a talented 25 year old point, dealing with a bunch of HOF vets in a playoff intensity situation - who probably were giving him an earful as well. I have seen Ray, Paul and KG all get well up into Rondo at times during games. Meanwhile, he's got Doc on his backside every night...

They have all also lavished him with praise more often. Rondo's path has not been an easy one with this group- it's like the youngest kid in the family telling everyone what to do all the time.   

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
And let's assume we've also accumulated some nice young players during those 1-3 years of rebuilding through the draft or other trades. You don't think a Rondo lead team could compete for a ring?  

He already has

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »

Offline Zev Love X

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
I think Rondo is a highly intelligent guy who is incredibly tough minded and passionate about what he does.

He probably has not yet, at age 24/25, completely developed his "diplomatic" skills.

Anyone remember the ace bandage incident with Pierce after the Indiana loss?

Anyone remember Pierce getting into it with Doc about 5 years ago, when he was oh....28 or 29?

Anyone remember the old, pouting Pierce on the bench?

Can we give Rondo some breathing room? The kid is a talented 25 year old point, dealing with a bunch of HOF vets in a playoff intensity situation - who probably were giving him an earful as well. I have seen Ray, Paul and KG all get well up into Rondo at times during games. Meanwhile, he's got Doc on his backside every night...

They have all also lavished him with praise more often. Rondo's path has not been an easy one with this group- it's like the youngest kid in the family telling everyone what to do all the time.   

This is exactly right. Rondo is beginning to mature as a leader and not a moment too soon. Hopefully it's more than just lip service and we can see some improvement in his leadership skills

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2011, 07:05:44 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Yep. To be honest, I have never really associated petulance with Rondo during his career.

I think he's lazy and gambles too much on D sometimes - and I wish he could shoot better...

But my sense is that he laces them up pretty much every night and delivers - especially when it matters.

I've seen him take a "tremendous" amount of heat from his head coach and the HOF trio over the years and I've seen him dish some of it back.

I think he's tough as nails physically and mentally - I'm good with that guy playing the point for us.

He'll continue to grow.