Author Topic: Rondo threw fit and called out Big Three during Miami series  (Read 31906 times)

Re: Rondo threw fit and called out Big Three during Miami series
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 03:08:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Oh please. howccan lead the team to the next level when he can't lead himself to the next level and get us consistent points at ft line.  the reason he is still a Celtic is because league wide he has little value.

that's a total separate issue from him being a headache.  rr is a marginal player at best without the big three he is about as good as Gerald green.   it will Be obvious when the 3 retire

I'd say the fact that you can't tell that Rondo's better than Gerald Green explains a lot of your posts.

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
Rondo = elite play maker & passer

I am convinced that all of us here on the board were absolute models of maturity and mental discipline at 25 as well...

Also, last time I checked Gerald Green nver broke the Celtics single season assist record, or averaged  a triple double in a 7 game playoff series. i think this latter feat put him in some pretty rare company - Jordan, Bird, magic, or something...

I'm not saying by ANY stretch of the imagination that Rondo = any of the above mentioned players.

But I do think his accomplishments separate him ever so slightly from Gerald Green.

I'd rate Rondo just slightly higher than a scrub who got cut from a Chinese team.

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Also, last time I checked Gerald Green nver broke the Celtics single season assist record, or averaged  a triple double in a 7 game playoff series.

For whatever it's worth, neither did Rondo. ;)

Still pretty phenomenal:  19.4 points, 13.0 assists, 9.3 boards against the Bulls in '09

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Rondo...**** slacker...

LOL on calling me out on that.

Outstanding research work! TP Roy and thanks for the data.

I knew I was close - and I do think that those stats put him within a hair's reach of some of the best 7 games performances in league history didn't it?... That's how I remembered it.

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Also Roy, while I like Chris Paul, there was a part of me that was nervous to let Rondo go. He has warts, but he's also one of those players you just don't want to bet against when the chips are down. At least that's how I feel.

It's like going into a pivotal game five, you're warming up and you look over and see Jordan, Pippen & Harper and the you see Rodman with the bright hair standing backwards at the foul line lobbing one handed foul shots over his head.

I'd be like, here we go. The guy's probably going to shut down our best offensive player and also get 27 boards. 3 points, dominates the game.

You know Jordan, Pippen and Harper will score and do their thing - but if Rodman goes off - the game is pretty much locked.

To me, in his own way, that's how I see Rondo. He rises to the occasion and he's a unique player - even with his shortcomings. When he's on, we're very hard to beat.   

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Also Roy, while I like Chris Paul, there was a part of me that was nervous to let Rondo go. He has warts, but he's also one of those players you just don't want to bet against when the chips are down. At least that's how I feel.

It's like going into a pivotal game five, you're warming up and you look over and see Jordan, Pippen & Harper and the you see Rodman with the bright hair standing backwards at the foul line lobbing one handed foul shots over his head.

I'd be like, here we go. The guy's probably going to shut down our best offensive player and also get 27 boards. 3 points, dominates the game.

You know Jordan, Pippen and Harper will score and do their thing - but if Rodman goes off - the game is pretty much locked.

To me, in his own way, that's how I see Rondo. He rises to the occasion and he's a unique player - even with his shortcomings. When he's on, we're very hard to beat.   

A lot of great players, when they are "on" it's tough to beat.

Defenses around the league can make Rondo's game "off" a lot more than they can a CP3.

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2011, 03:41:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Also, last time I checked Gerald Green nver broke the Celtics single season assist record, or averaged  a triple double in a 7 game playoff series.

For whatever it's worth, neither did Rondo. ;)

Still pretty phenomenal:  19.4 points, 13.0 assists, 9.3 boards against the Bulls in '09

He came closer for the entire playoffs: 16.9, 9.7, 9.8. The only other players who ever averaged at least 15/9/9 for a playoffs were Magic, Oscar and Wilt.

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Defenses around the league can make Rondo's game "off" a lot more than they can a CP3.

Defenses made CP3 look "off" a lot last season.  Maybe he'll shake off the effects of that knee injury this season, but he hasn't been the same player yet.  Even in the playoffs against the Lakers, he had 2 spectactular games, 3 good games and 1 one poor effort.

Mike

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

As soon as Pierce, Garnett and Allen are gone, people are going to see - clearly - why Ainge was trying to move Rondo.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Rondo probably feels like he is the best player on this team but KG, Ray, and Paul get most of the credit. He may not be too far off either.

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
TP BballTim, I knew it was something like that. That's pretty nice company.

And yes, everyone is tough to beat when on, and defenses can make anyone look "off".

I could be very wrong, but I just think Rondo is a unique talent.

I don't judge his value by his jump shot or how many points he scores each night. To me that would be like saying Bird was useless when he didn't score.

But I can understand why others wouldn't see it this way. 

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2011, 04:30:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

As soon as Pierce, Garnett and Allen are gone, people are going to see - clearly - why Ainge was trying to move Rondo.

People seem to think that Danny's going to surround Rondo with a team that's the offensive equivalent of Tony Allen/Marquis/Baby/Perk. I'm guessing that he'll add a player or two that can actually score. That way you'll be able to renew your claims that Rondo wouldn't be effective without player X. I suspect that will happen for most of his career.

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Very well said Bball. I think Ainge is pretty bright and if Rondo stays in Boston, I think Ainge will put players who can shoot and who can run up and down the floor with him.

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I like how Rondo has matured so fast. Going from a stubborn kid (Which he still is but you get my point) to leader on this team.
He is only bound to get better.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »

Offline mc34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 40
Loved Pierce's comments today about Rondo though. He called Rondo the team's best player and said he needed to step up and take on a full-time leadership role. He also said he thinks Rondo is gonna have a breakout season and be an MVP candidate... time will tell