Author Topic: Kyrie on J.J. Redick Podcast  (Read 4657 times)

Re: Kyrie on J.J. Redick Podcast
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Sounds like there is some genuine, good vibe between them.
Maybe Kyrie can pry JJ to Boston in a year or two.
JJ seems like a guy who would want a ring before he hangs them up.

This would be awesome. Guy's a sniper.

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 04:22:42 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Makes me laugh. He is so dumb.

How insulting...I bet he's smart enough to keep track of his bank account while smart guys like you post how dumb he is on a blog!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 04:25:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Its almost like some of you haven't listened to the whole podcast. I thought Kyrie came off very likable in that podcast, and JJ Redick obviously liked talking to him a lot.

I mean, he talks about conspiracies and meditation, but it was because Reddick brought it up. Kyrie complimented Reddick quite a bit and they had a great conversation.

Its funny the whole sub-narrative being formed around Kyrie. I mean, he embraces it, but its not like it is completely true. He just likes talking about ideas and discussing more intellectual thoughts. He's 25, or about the age of a grad student. He's exploring his philosophical system and trying to wrap his brain around the world. 

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Its almost like some of you haven't listened to the whole podcast. I thought Kyrie came off very likable in that podcast, and JJ Redick obviously liked talking to him a lot.

I mean, he talks about conspiracies and meditation, but it was because Reddick brought it up. Kyrie complimented Reddick quite a bit and they had a great conversation.

Its funny the whole sub-narrative being formed around Kyrie. I mean, he embraces it, but its not like it is completely true. He just likes talking about ideas and discussing more intellectual thoughts. He's 25, or about the age of a grad student. He's exploring his philosophical system and trying to wrap his brain around the world.

I think it was a really cool convo, especially when he was talking about Brad at the end. Love the mutual respect that a lot of NBA players have for each other. As far as his so called off-the-wall comments, so many (smart) people have taken them the wrong way that now he's just like whatever. In a nutshell he believes in forming his own opinion of things instead of just believing what's shoved down his throat. Doesn't seem dumb to me at all!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 04:48:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Is reddick going to be obtainable at all in the off season? He would be a nice piece for us.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 05:01:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I agree.

My question to the people who question his intelligence, why do you hate him so much? It's almost perplexing to me, because other than a scandalous things he's done in his past, (and let's be honest, we were all young,) he comes off as a very likable and intriguing guy. He's certainly been one of the most interesting Celtics I have ever seen in terms of how he speaks, and the way he thinks, along with the way he plays.

Kyrie to me, since I'm around close to his age, comes off as a well spoken millennial. I do agree Roy, that some of my friends, who experiment with psychoactive drugs speak similar to how Kyrie does, although I would say each person also varies based on how they perceive the drug. But his mannerisms are quite peculiar, and I would wager to suggest he has had tried some, maybe once, in his life time. It doesn't mean he's dumb though. He's definitely out there. But he reminds me of the suitable fashion in which most millennials are nowadays; frugal, conscientious, and always questioning everything regardless of the source.

I, too, got the same vibe from JJ Reddick, also considering they have the Duke alumni tag representing some familiarity between the two, I would also love if there is a possible fact he does come to Boston. He would fit well, and I think once we either let go of Rozier or Smart, he would be a perfect staple, or sixth man on any contender.

But getting back to the topic at hand, it seems like Kyrie is going to question the validity of any source. He has explicitly said he doesn't disagree on whether or not the world is flat. That was never his original point or the factual equivocation to his statement. What he has said many times, is that no matter where you get your facts or information from, make sure to think for yourself first. I also loved how JJ Reddick brought up super powers.

In the podcast, he states, "superpowers like the icons or badges in NBA 2K18," and how certain players have certain skillsets or badges that separate them from other NBA players. He mentioned Kyrie's ball handling as a superpower, and they broached upon the topic of how Kyrie improved his ball handling, and who he learned it from.

Kyrie went on to vocally praise Stevens, and how even though he has this calm demeanor, he brings a very special brand of coaching that reminds him of collegiate basketball. Although, I'm not too sure what he means by that. He sort of rambled on, about how the experience was very similar, but I got lost in exactly what his point was. I guess he meant to say that the defensive principles, and intangibles/fundamentals that college players have had, were emphasized more in Steven's system.

Regardless, it's a great listen. JJ Reddick is an awesome host, and a very well spoken dude with a sense of humor. Kyrie was very comfortable speaking his mind, and I thoroughly enjoyed this conversation and will tune in for more of his podcasts in the future. (KAT is a very good one too, check it out!) If you don't like Kyrie Irving's manner of speaking, and how open he can get in interviews, then don't listen to this.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

I agree.

My question to the people who question his intelligence, why do you hate him so much? It's almost perplexing to me, because other than a scandalous things he's done in his past, (and let's be honest, we were all young,) he comes off as a very likable and intriguing guy. He's certainly been one of the most interesting Celtics I have ever seen in terms of how he speaks, and the way he thinks, along with the way he plays.

Kyrie to me, since I'm around close to his age, comes off as a well spoken millennial. I do agree Roy, that some of my friends, who experiment with psychoactive drugs speak similar to how Kyrie does, although I would say each person also varies based on how they perceive the drug. But his mannerisms are quite peculiar, and I would wager to suggest he has had tried some, maybe once, in his life time. It doesn't mean he's dumb though. He's definitely out there. But he reminds me of the suitable fashion in which most millennials are nowadays; frugal, conscientious, and always questioning everything regardless of the source.

I haven't listened to the podcast (not really my thing). He might very well come off as a reasonable, likable guy in this particular interview, and I think in general he has a likable character. My comment is more of an overarching comment regarding the sum of Kyrie's interviews and discussions since becoming a Celtic.

And I don't hate him at all; in fact, I think I'm one of his bigger (basketball) supporters on this blog! I just don't think he's as intelligent or "enlightened" as he likes to portray himself in many of these types of interviews, and I certainly don't think he is eloquent and well-spoken (quite the opposite, in fact, due to trying so hard to sound smart).

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 08:31:46 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It’s pretty crazy to say that those who question Irving’s intelligence hate him.  Definitely a BS statement.

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 08:55:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A lot of people believe in meditative enlightenment, expanding of your imagination to affect your reality and the existence of alternate realities and higher realms. I am more of a science based thinking but that doesn't necessarily make me right or them right. Kyrie is different. Nothing wrong with that

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 09:17:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i enjoyed that

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 08:53:03 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I agree.

I haven't listened to the podcast (not really my thing). He might very well come off as a reasonable, likable guy in this particular interview, and I think in general he has a likable character. My comment is more of an overarching comment regarding the sum of Kyrie's interviews and discussions since becoming a Celtic.

And I don't hate him at all; in fact, I think I'm one of his bigger (basketball) supporters on this blog! I just don't think he's as intelligent or "enlightened" as he likes to portray himself in many of these types of interviews, and I certainly don't think he is eloquent and well-spoken (quite the opposite, in fact, due to trying so hard to sound smart).

I get both you and Irving's viewpoint, but environments and other factors influence your personality. Maybe to you Irving doesn't come off as an intellectual, but to others he does. It is what it is, although I have seen some really disrespectful comments about Kyrie Irving on these boards the past few months, I guarantee the same people being uppity about Irving's intelligence wouldn't dare say the same words to his face. Which was my point about some people either hating him, or just being keyboard warriors, nowadays in today's society which how sensitive people are, it's quite hard to distinguish.

All in all, it seems like Irving is having fun. I tell people if you can't stand how Irving talk, you can just avoid listening to him
 Simple as that. I think Irving rambles on sometimes, because he's embracing the media spotlight and wants to show off the most best part of him. Sometimes we have a tendency to see the greater part of ourselves in the mirror with our own green tinted glasses.

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Irving rambles on sometimes, because he's embracing the media spotlight and wants to show off the most best part of him.
Obviously Jaylen got sick of listening to Kyrie.

http://www.weei.com/blogs/john-tomase/listen-jaylen-brown-mock-kyrie-irving-during-long-winded-answer-london-after

Hilarious

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 02:46:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I think Irving rambles on sometimes, because he's embracing the media spotlight and wants to show off the most best part of him.
Obviously Jaylen got sick of listening to Kyrie.

http://www.weei.com/blogs/john-tomase/listen-jaylen-brown-mock-kyrie-irving-during-long-winded-answer-london-after

Hilarious

Haha, yeah I saw that. You can tell these players have great chemistry though.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
A lot of people believe in meditative enlightenment, expanding of your imagination to affect your reality and the existence of alternate realities and higher realms. I am more of a science based thinking but that doesn't necessarily make me right or them right. Kyrie is different. Nothing wrong with that

My guess is that you don't believe they are, but just to clarify, these are not mutually exclusive viewpoints. There is some fascinating work being done in quantum field theory that suggests that maybe the existence of alternate realities and dimensions isn't as crazy as we have been taught!
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I just finally listened to the podcast after hearing other people's takes on it.

The conspiracy stuff is quickly touched on and Kyrie didn't say anything crazy at all.   I had almost avoided it because I was worried he went off on this but he didn't at all and I thought what he said was fine.  He just is willing to hear any viewpoints and like provocative views.  That's not anything wrong.  Maybe it's a bit weird in ways, but as a weird person that's fine and someone's right.  He is clearly focused on his work and art, as he would put it.

The reaction to it was overblown and downright wrong in some things I saw.  I thought he was talking about Loose Change in some detail but Redick brought it up just for a moment and Kyrie said he never saw it.  Anyways, if you are avoiding it because of this I don't think you should.

I really loved hearing him talk about how he works on his game and approaches it.  How he worked on any type of shot he had confidence in until he was confidence in it, little shots and things others wouldn't practice (especially for some time, he talks about seeing Steven Nash working on floaters and a eurostep and then doing that himself).   

There is so much creativity and confidence and mentality to basketball that I think is lost on casual fans and even some hardcore ones who haven't played as much or I guess thought as deeply on playing.  What separates good from great players.  It's what keeps Jeff Green or Kelly Olynyk, who at times look like All Star talents, from consistently being those.  It's an aspect even to the lowest levels of basketball though (even a regular adult pick up game) but it is lost on many people.

Working on things, thinking them through, and implementing them takes"newts", lol, a Melo term for guts as Kyrie says and you know what else.  It takes guts to do moves you work on that are elaborate.  Kyrie has it and I appreciated Redick, a player who works on it but doesn't really do it in the game, talk about his view on how that separates them and what goes into it.  Extremely interesting conversation and I loved Kyrie's view on things.

Given his talk on meditation in the podcast, I came way thinking Kyrie is basically a basketball martial artist and that is very cool.  Basically how I always thought of him probably underneath his longwinded answers and off the wall one off comments people run away with.   

This was very worth a listen.  They talked Duke and Stevens as well which was good.  All very interesting in the podcast but I have nothing to add but it seems like Kyrie is super confident in Brad.  There's a moment where Redick compares them to the Warriors because even if they are down they have the same apporoach and play the same way, and when he says that Kyrie cuts in and says "because it will work" very confidently.  Great moment.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:16:03 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford