Author Topic: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start  (Read 45116 times)

Re: RONDO first game with Dallas about to Start
« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2014, 11:54:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
No body is any more hurt to,see Rondo leave than me.  During the KG years he gave it all up for Boston.....underpaid and was a hero .

That said ..... Triboy has a point .....Rondo seemed to be able to play hard anytime he wished .   Didn't seem locked in much as Danny expected or committed to excellent play as before ....he looked half hearted .

Knowing what I know now ......he most likely had his mind made up to leave ....he respected the Boston fans and played .  But we expert fans could see the small lack of effort ...so could Tommy .

Rondo,was just protecting his body for his next team ...do just what he needed to do....putting on a show of offensive passing for fans .....but no taking chances getting injured playing hard. Nose defense .

Danny and Rondo knew there was a parting coming.

Danny screwed up by rushing to get Rondo out of town , off the bench ASAP so the team could develop and not have to play him.

DA sold out too,cheap,to quick ......the picks could,have been improved with less limits

« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
LarBrd33 the difference is Boston played a terrible team while Dallas played the defending champions..
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.  Dallas just played the Spurs bench a night after the Spurs played an overtime game...

And Dallas looked worse than they normally do in spite of this.  They average 110 points on 48% shooting... tonight they put up 99 points on 43% shooting despite the arrival of Rondo and the fact they were playing against the Spurs D-Team.

Again... so far Boston looks better and the Mavs look worse.  That could change, of course.

you're such a Rondo hater it is unbearable! I am positive the Spurs bench would trash the Wolves squad that played against the Celtics 9 out of 10 times. You have a new player playing his first game for a new team at the PG position which is where essentially all plays start when the shot clock begins counting down and you expect what? That if Mavericks didn't score 150 points tonight then Mavericks are worse with Rondo?

OBVIOUSLY you did not watch the game or you had blinders on. Dirk was missing wide open shots. You talk about spacing, many of the missed shots Dirk got were wide open looks or shots he usually make. Parsons were also missing a few he usually makes. The refs were making many BS calls for the spurs.

I bet you are going to ignore that Rondo had the highest +/- for the Mavericks and say "oh you don't believe in +/-".

You are saying Mavericks looks worse however it could change. Come on! One game? wait a few weeks before making any statements which team looks better or worse.

I bet if Mavericks had beaten Spurs by 50 points tonight you would have discredited Rondo and said something like "it was Ellis or Parsons or Dirk why they won by that much".

Keep Hating.
I'm not hating.  i watched the game.  I don't think the Mavs are dramatically improved.  I don't think the Celtics are dramatically worse.  I'll miss watching Black White Chocolate, but I realize that his impact on the game is overstated.

So you are judging from ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE game that the Mavs are not dramatically improved. You seem to forget that Mavericks had a new player in their starting 5 who they never played with before. While Celtics had players in their starting line up that are all familiar with each other, of course the Celtics are not going to look worse.....yet.

I reiterate, you are judging from ONE game. WOW.

With your methodology I guess I can do a survey and ask ONE person what they think about X and then assume that's how everyone think about X.
Uh... im not judging anything from ONE game.  What we know about Dallas is pretty established.  What we know about Rondo is pretty established. 

If you added Rondo to a stagnant team of sharp shooters who was incapable of creating their own offense, I could see Rondo making a significant impact to that team by using his skill-set to generate scoring opportunities...   Dallas isn't that team.  Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move.   Adding Rondo will generate some excitement for them ... but I don't see how adding one of the league's weakest offensive players to the league's most efficient offense will allow them to suddenly become champions.  They will probably be a solid team either way, but I think we will see minimal improvement.

Potential for major improvement:  Minimal
Potential for problems:  Depends how Rondo impacts the spacing and how Monta Ellis and Rondo co-exist.

« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2014, 11:55:49 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
LarBrd33 the difference is Boston played a terrible team while Dallas played the defending champions..
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.  Dallas just played the Spurs bench a night after the Spurs played an overtime game...

And Dallas looked worse than they normally do in spite of this.  They average 110 points on 48% shooting... tonight they put up 99 points on 43% shooting despite the arrival of Rondo and the fact they were playing against the Spurs D-Team.

Again... so far Boston looks better and the Mavs look worse.  That could change, of course.

you're such a Rondo hater it is unbearable! I am positive the Spurs bench would trash the Wolves squad that played against the Celtics 9 out of 10 times. You have a new player playing his first game for a new team at the PG position which is where essentially all plays start when the shot clock begins counting down and you expect what? That if Mavericks didn't score 150 points tonight then Mavericks are worse with Rondo?

OBVIOUSLY you did not watch the game or you had blinders on. Dirk was missing wide open shots. You talk about spacing, many of the missed shots Dirk got were wide open looks or shots he usually make. Parsons were also missing a few he usually makes. The refs were making many BS calls for the spurs.

I bet you are going to ignore that Rondo had the highest +/- for the Mavericks and say "oh you don't believe in +/-".

You are saying Mavericks looks worse however it could change. Come on! One game? wait a few weeks before making any statements which team looks better or worse.

I bet if Mavericks had beaten Spurs by 50 points tonight you would have discredited Rondo and said something like "it was Ellis or Parsons or Dirk why they won by that much".

Keep Hating.
I'm not hating.  i watched the game.  I don't think the Mavs are dramatically improved.  I don't think the Celtics are dramatically worse.  I'll miss watching Black White Chocolate, but I realize that his impact on the game is overstated.

So you are judging from ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE game that the Mavs are not dramatically improved. You seem to forget that Mavericks had a new player in their starting 5 who they never played with before. While Celtics had players in their starting line up that are all familiar with each other, of course the Celtics are not going to look worse.....yet.

With your methodology I guess I can do a survey and ask ONE person what they think about X and then assume that's how everyone think about X.
He is hating. He is in denial. The Mavs got better. We are worst, but we need to be to get a top 5 big. I am happy about that.  ;D

« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2014, 11:59:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Keep Hating.

stop yall the looked better. they beat the best team in the west. lets not hate on them. we will get there eventually.

Since when is the Spurs bench the best team in the West?

Hell, since when are the SPURS even the best team in the West? Right now they're playing like the  third best team tops (GS and MEM), and they might be even lower. Let's stop acting like the Mavs just went out there and beat Timmy, Ginobli, and Parker.... because they didn't.

« Reply #214 on: December 20, 2014, 11:59:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Keep Hating.

He is hating. He is in denial. The Mavs got better. We are worst, but we need to be to get a top 5 big. I am happy about that.  ;D
not hating.  :)  I think Rondo is a terrific player.  I loved watching him.  Maybe the Dallas offense will evolve into something even more dangerous.  Maybe the "playoff rondo" concept isn't a myth and the team runs through the playoffs. 

Doubt it. 

« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2014, 12:02:06 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Keep Hating.

not hating.  :)  I think Rondo is a terrific player.  I loved watching him.  Maybe the Dallas offense will evolve into something even more dangerous.  Maybe the "playoff rondo" concept isn't a myth and the team runs through the playoffs. 

Doubt it.

I'm thinking it's not "playoff Rondo" vs. "regular season Rondo" anymore. It's more like "contending team Rondo" and "rebuilding team Rondo" now!  ;D jk jk

« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:21 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I don't agree that the Mavs will integrate Rondo instantly and be clicking but then suddenly crash down to earth.  I am not sure where that thought comes from?  He doesn't even know the offense or players tend yet.  I think it will take a few months before they find the right balance of everything.  By that point they will have signed another big to replace Wright and the team will be better adjusted.

It is interesting how many pages this thread went tonight and everyones responses.  Rondo is literally in a no win situation with some of you.  If he plays well, it is 'why wasn't he playing like this when he was here?'  If he plays poorly, 'see he will never be as good as 2010-2012 the last time he ever played def and was worth a crap'.  Funny how that works.

That's just how some people are here. No matter what happened, they'd hate him for something.

Did Rondo want out? Did he coast his final year? I don't know, but what I do know is if he was unhappy here, he did his post to not show it. He very well could've made it a public spectacle ala Dwight and Melo, but he didn't.

Basically you are calling him fake then.   Which is even worse

He also said in the Dallas press conference that he tried and played hard everyday as a Celtic this past season.  I mean what a liar

When i see him let guys by him repeatedly and tonight he backpeddles raises his arms to contain the drive, it makes me angry.

I been telling you guys that this is the kind of "detail" he is not doing.  Why couldn't he do it? Why couldn't he try harder?

Just when i didn't want to care about this Rondo fiasco anymore, he does things that makes me go "unbelievable".   

And if he even made a peep about wanting a trade, you'd probably be the first one here saying how much of a brat he is. You're exactly the type of poster I'm talking about, no matter what way this played out, you'd find something to hate.

Rondo doesn't publicly demand trade = he's fake

Rondo publicly demands trade = he's a jerk

Rondo does well in Dallas = he quit on C's

Rondo doesn't do well in Dallas = he's washed up

Did I cover all the bases?
X2. When someone dislikes somebody in life or a NBA player in this case, they try to find every means to discredit them.

I will agree Rondo seem to have played harder tonight. Who wouldn't!? On the first day of a new job aren't you going to try and put in your all? Especially when you know that you actually have a great shot at a bonus (In this case an NBA Championship)?

That's sad.  You take care of the team that drafted you, that you been with 9 years first . That's what i would do.  That's what Duncan , Dirk have done.   

Guys like Lebron are Nba championship chasing Gold Diggers
We always knew Ainge was shopping Rondo for years (I don't blame him, if we can upgrade why not). However if you had a boss, first person to hire you after finishing College and each year you know he has been interviewing other persons to take your job, how would you feel?

Have you ever heard Duncan or Dirk even being in a rumour for being traded? HA, I think not.

You might come back and say Ainge has a right, it is a business so Rondo should not be offended or care if he is being shopped. Oh so Rondo should be loyal to the Celtics when Ainge has always been shopping him? I thought loyalty went both ways (Spurs and Duncan, Mavs and Dirk).

« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
You know, for everyone here who is pointing to Rondo's lack of effort on defense, he was certainly up for the game against the Cavs when he took a charge early, but more to the point - I don't remember seeing really any effort from Pierce on defense from when I started watching in 04-05 to when we got KG and Ray, so calm down.  It's not like Rondo is the only guy who might have slacked off, and I love both Pierce and Rondo to death.  I just think that some context is important, here.  The guy loves the big games and the big moments.  So?  I honestly think that it's a testament to Rondo that he can still lead the league in assists even when he 'mailed it in' or whatever you want to call it, but no one who hates the guy will listen to anything I've said here, so, meh, lol. ;D

« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2014, 12:05:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I don't agree that the Mavs will integrate Rondo instantly and be clicking but then suddenly crash down to earth.  I am not sure where that thought comes from?  He doesn't even know the offense or players tend yet.  I think it will take a few months before they find the right balance of everything.  By that point they will have signed another big to replace Wright and the team will be better adjusted.

It is interesting how many pages this thread went tonight and everyones responses.  Rondo is literally in a no win situation with some of you.  If he plays well, it is 'why wasn't he playing like this when he was here?'  If he plays poorly, 'see he will never be as good as 2010-2012 the last time he ever played def and was worth a crap'.  Funny how that works.

That's just how some people are here. No matter what happened, they'd hate him for something.

Did Rondo want out? Did he coast his final year? I don't know, but what I do know is if he was unhappy here, he did his post to not show it. He very well could've made it a public spectacle ala Dwight and Melo, but he didn't.

Basically you are calling him fake then.   Which is even worse

He also said in the Dallas press conference that he tried and played hard everyday as a Celtic this past season.  I mean what a liar

When i see him let guys by him repeatedly and tonight he backpeddles raises his arms to contain the drive, it makes me angry.

I been telling you guys that this is the kind of "detail" he is not doing.  Why couldn't he do it? Why couldn't he try harder?

Just when i didn't want to care about this Rondo fiasco anymore, he does things that makes me go "unbelievable".   

And if he even made a peep about wanting a trade, you'd probably be the first one here saying how much of a brat he is. You're exactly the type of poster I'm talking about, no matter what way this played out, you'd find something to hate.

Rondo doesn't publicly demand trade = he's fake

Rondo publicly demands trade = he's a jerk

Rondo does well in Dallas = he quit on C's

Rondo doesn't do well in Dallas = he's washed up

Did I cover all the bases?
X2. When someone dislikes somebody in life or a NBA player in this case, they try to find every means to discredit them.

I will agree Rondo seem to have played harder tonight. Who wouldn't!? On the first day of a new job aren't you going to try and put in your all? Especially when you know that you actually have a great shot at a bonus (In this case an NBA Championship)?

That's sad.  You take care of the team that drafted you, that you been with 9 years first . That's what i would do.  That's what Duncan , Dirk have done.   

Guys like Lebron are Nba championship chasing Gold Diggers
We always knew Ainge was shopping Rondo for years (I don't blame him, if we can upgrade why not). However if you had a boss, first person to hire you after finishing College and each year you know he has been interviewing other persons to take your job, how would you feel?

Have you ever heard Duncan or Dirk even being in a rumour for being traded? HA, I think not.

You might come back and say Ainge has a right, it is a business so Rondo should not be offended or care if he is being shopped. Oh so Rondo should be loyal to the Celtics when Ainge has always been shopping him? I thought loyalty went both ways (Spurs and Duncan, Mavs and Dirk).

That's because they don't have Ainge as their GM.

« Reply #219 on: December 21, 2014, 12:08:39 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
You know, for everyone here who is pointing to Rondo's lack of effort on defense, he was certainly up for the game against the Cavs when he took a charge early, but more to the point - I don't remember seeing really any effort from Pierce on defense from when I started watching in 04-05 to when we got KG and Ray, so calm down.  It's not like Rondo is the only guy who might have slacked off, and I love both Pierce and Rondo to death.  I just think that some context is important, here.  The guy loves the big games and the big moments.  So?  I honestly think that it's a testament to Rondo that he can still lead the league in assists even when he 'mailed it in' or whatever you want to call it, but no one who hates the guy will listen to anything I've said here, so, meh, lol. ;D

Pierce also wasn't a liability in scoring the ball either. Rondo's game is so unique, and in a way limited, that he must use his defensive capabilites to his advantage to be a plus out there.

But good point to bring up about Pierce. I personally can't testify to that, because I never got the chance to watch the C's during that era, though it sounds about right from what I've read from that era.

« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2014, 12:09:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Keep Hating.

Doubt it.

I'm thinking it's not "playoff Rondo" vs. "regular season Rondo" anymore. It's more like "contending team Rondo" and "rebuilding team Rondo" now!  ;D jk jk

Yeah Rondo has always seemed to step up his stats with a better supporting cast, but I'm not sure why people are overreacting to his performance tonight.  He finished with less assists than his season average (9) and a very typical 3-11 shooting.  It's not like he went out there and dropped 20/10/10.  If it hadn't been for Ellis going off (38 points), I'm not sure they win this game against the Spur's backups.   

To further clarify my thoughts... I'm not putting money on some prediction here.  I don't have proof about how this will pan out.  I'm just passing on some commentary.  You guys don't have to agree.  This is just a wild guess based on what I've observed.  I think the Celtics got a little bit better.  Our offense will improve with Rondo gone.  Our defense will improve thanks to increased minutes to Smart.  Our bench will improve with the additions of Wright, etc.  I don't expect to see us get worse based on this move.  I also don't expect to see us get much better.  We are a 25-30 win team either way.

But as for Dallas...  I think Dallas goes 1 of two directions.

#1 - They keep trying to play the same way... they struggle a little now that one of their guards is an offensive liability.  Watching the game tonight, you could already see defenders ignoring Rondo.  That impacts their spacing.  It hurts their existing offense.

#2 - They hand Rondo the keys to the offense... the team (specifically Ellis) will need to adapt.  The offense becomes predictable and easier to game-plan for.  It has the capacity to be dangerous, but the entire team will need to adapt to ROndo's strengths and weaknesses.   

It will take time to see how it pans out for them.

« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6

Keep Hating.

Uh... im not judging anything from ONE game.  What we know about Dallas is pretty established.  What we know about Rondo is pretty established. 

If you added Rondo to a stagnant team of sharp shooters who was incapable of creating their own offense, I could see Rondo making a significant impact to that team by using his skill-set to generate scoring opportunities...   Dallas isn't that team.  Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move.   Adding Rondo will generate some excitement for them ... but I don't see how adding one of the league's weakest offensive players to the league's most efficient offense will allow them to suddenly become champions.  They will probably be a solid team either way, but I think we will see minimal improvement.

Potential for problems:  Depends how Rondo impacts the spacing and how Monta Ellis and Rondo co-exist.

" Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move".

So if this statement you made is true, why is it they have lost against Spurs, Grizzlies, Warriors, Suns, Rockets and Blazers? They are capable of creating their own offense and so polished yet has been losing against every major West team. So by your thinking I guess they will even lose by a bigger margin against these teams or lose by roughly the same.

Okay then.

« Reply #222 on: December 21, 2014, 12:12:31 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Keep Hating.

" Dallas is a well-polished offense with beautiful ball movement, excellent spacing and a multitude of scoring opportunities.  They had the best offense in the league prior to the move".

So if this statement you made is true, why is it they have lost against Spurs, Grizzlies, Warriors, Suns, Rockets and Blazers? They are capable of creating their own offense and so polished yet has been losing against every major West team. So by your thinking I guess they will even lose by a bigger margin against these teams or lose by roughly the same.

Okay then.
Best offense in the league... they give up the 7th most points in the league. 

The hope for them is that Rondo helps their defense.  That might be true.  But I think he hurts their offense.

« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2014, 12:13:26 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Keep Hating.

Doubt it.

Yeah Rondo has always seemed to step up his stats with a better supporting cast, but I'm not sure why people are overreacting to his performance tonight.  He finished with less assists than his season average (9) and a very typical 3-11 shooting.  It's not like he went out there and dropped 20/10/10.  If it hadn't been for Ellis going off (38 points), I'm not sure they win this game against the Spur's backups.   

To further clarify my thoughts... I'm not putting money on some prediction here.  I don't have proof about how this will pan out.  I'm just passing on some commentary.  You guys don't have to agree.  This is just a wild guess based on what I've observed.  I think the Celtics got a little bit better.  Our offense will improve with Rondo gone.  Our defense will improve thanks to increased minutes to Smart.  Our bench will improve with the additions of Wright, etc.  I don't expect to see us get worse based on this move.  I also don't expect to see us get much better.  We are a 25-30 win team either way.

But as for Dallas...  I think Dallas goes 1 of two directions.

#1 - They keep trying to play the same way... they struggle a little now that one of their guards is an offensive liability.  Watching the game tonight, you could already see defenders ignoring Rondo.  That impacts their spacing.  It hurts their existing offense.

#2 - They hand Rondo the keys to the offense... the team (specifically Ellis) will need to adapt.  The offense becomes predictable and easier to game-plan for.  It has the capacity to be dangerous, but the entire team will need to adapt to ROndo's strengths and weaknesses.   

It will take time to see how it pans out for them.

It was effort for me. I expect Rondo to have similar stats here as in Boston, but he just looked much more dialed in tonight for the Mavs, especially defensively.

« Reply #224 on: December 21, 2014, 12:14:43 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34

Keep Hating.

Thank God you don't root for a team with Rondo on it. He deserves better.